• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is the bit that got David Chappelle in a bit of trouble:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I like Chapelle. I don't see anything wrong with it; its a comedy act. If someone doesn't like it, they can choose to watch another comedian.
Yep. Just watch someone else if you don't like it.

Chappelle is pure gold. It's hilarious. I love the guy.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I thought it might be this part that was drawing the heat:

but I haven't watched the full show.
the hell? Did he literally after she killed herself made a joke about how oh I thought she was a woman but she killed herself like a man? That only a man do some **** like that?That's an ******* thing to say about a trans person.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
the hell? Did he literally after she killed herself made a joke about how oh I thought she was a woman but she killed herself like a man? That only a man do some **** like that?That's an ******* thing to say about a trans person.
Don't watch him if you don't like it. Simple.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I thought it might be this part that was drawing the heat:

but I haven't watched the full show.

Wow! Thanks a lot. I have not seen the full show either. That is actually a touching story.

It was perhaps "too soon" but the is what comedians do. You need to remember, context matters. As he pointed out Daphne would have laughed at that joke. He made a joke, but the joke was made with love not with hate. It is easy to take it out of context and make it look bad, but it is an important part of the bigger picture.

VoidCat

Wow! Thanks a lot. I have not seen the full show either. That is actually a touching story.

It was perhaps "too soon" but the is what comedians do. You need to remember, context matters. As he pointed out Daphne would have laughed at that joke. He made a joke, but the joke was made with love not with hate. It is easy to take it out of context and make it look bad, but it is an important part of the bigger picture.
But see I wonder if they would've laughed but outta discomfort. Plus we don't know the person. They might've been the type to get offended by that. Plus many trans folk commit suicide. And the sad reality is they will most likely be misgendered in their death. This is a huge reality for many trans folk. It's not like it's just Daphne his words effect and can be applied to.

Last edited:

VoidCat

Fair enough. But I think most know Chappelle takes sensitive issues and turns those things on its head
Does he make offensive jokes at the expense of minorities often? I never seen any of his show just these two vids. Some of the stuff he said was funny. I just don't like folk who hide behind humor to bring a group down. If he often does that and groups he talks about(not the folks who aren't part of the grouo) often get offended I don't want to watch him

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Does he make offensive jokes at the expense of minorities often? I never seen any of his show just these two vids. Some of the stuff he said was funny. I just don't like folk who hide behind humor to bring a group down. If he often does that and groups he talks about(not the folks who aren't part of the group getting offended) often get offended I don't want to watch him
I do not see him bringing a group down. If anything he knocks himself down a bit. He acknowledges that he is transphobic and is uncomfortable with trans people at times. That is not an attack on trans when warned Daphne about hugging him for example. I know that statistically suicide is a huge problem for the trans community. He was clearly upset by Daphne's suicide and working through it in the way that a comedian would. It is his actions that demonstrate that he is the opposite of what the trans community thinks. He was willing to go out of his way to help a trans person and then her family. He saw Daphne as a person and could accept her even if he could not fully understand her.

VoidCat

I do not see him bringing a group down. If anything he knocks himself down a bit. He acknowledges that he is transphobic and is uncomfortable with trans people at times. That is not an attack on trans when warned Daphne about hugging him for example. I know that statistically suicide is a huge problem for the trans community. He was clearly upset by Daphne's suicide and working through it in the way that a comedian would. It is his actions that demonstrate that he is the opposite of what the trans community thinks. He was willing to go out of his way to help a trans person and then her family. He saw Daphne as a person and could accept her even if he could not fully understand her.
That's the impression I got. I just never seen many of his acts. I do not know if he would bring a group down.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Maybe he was being sarcastic about being a TERF
I mean comedian and all. Or maybe he just has more manners lol
Didn't seem like he was, and that one did catch me off guard because he's always been using correct pronouns. TERFs don't. That's kind of what makes them Trans Exclusive.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's why I don't hate him. You can tell he does have some understanding and he's not just taking wild shots in the dark.
To me he just seems more honest about his discomfort and just not understanding or getting it. At least with someone like him there are no trapped doors to be sprung on you later when you least expect it.
One disservice I think he did do was I think the first Netflix special tying white privilege to it and saying it's white guys doing it. But in reality there are black MtF and FtM and the black community isn't as accepting as whites, and they often put up with way more **** from society. Hispanic culture is also pretty conservative like that.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Perhaps he actually does not accept trans folk. Perhaps that's why he said it in this special and calls himself a terf.
Clearly it's not a total rejection. Like his using she to refer to his friend Daphne and correct pronouns of other trans people.
And the things he said in his last special aren't entirely inaccurate. Trans brains, for example, though they more resemble the sex of identity it's not the same. Our bodies aren't the same. We aren't raised or socialized the same.
The real issue, I believe, and what Chappelle did do, was attaching the value of women to fertility.

VoidCat

Clearly it's not a total rejection. Like his using she to refer to his friend Daphne and correct pronouns of other trans people.
And the things he said in his last special aren't entirely inaccurate. Trans brains, for example, though they more resemble the sex of identity it's not the same. Our bodies aren't the same. We aren't raised or socialized the same.
The real issue, I believe, and what Chappelle did do, was attaching the value of women to fertility.
Agree tho I have only seen these 2 videos they have on this thread. Never watched anything else by him

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Agree tho I have only seen these 2 videos they have on this thread. Never watched anything else by him
It really is better to watch the full specials. He's made it clear in all four of his Netflix specials he's not an enemy, he just doesn't get it. The last one also he also stated he's jealous as a black man because black people have been fighting a lot longer and harder and haven't gotten as far as quick with civil rights.

VoidCat

It really is better to watch the full specials. He's made it clear in all four of his Netflix specials he's not an enemy, he just doesn't get it. The last one also he also stated he's jealous as a black man because black people have been fighting a lot longer and harder and haven't gotten as far as quick with civil rights.
I think he reminds me of the kind of person who doesn't get can't ever get it doesn't exactly agree with it maybe but respects your pronouns and view of yourself because it makes you happy. But cuz they don't get it they say insensitive stuff that causes you to kinda cringe and then will say you're just being too sensitive but you can tell they are trying so you don't get mad.

From the two vids I watched and your responses