• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is proof that the Sabbath is for Christians too.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Hmm
I believe that we should follow the Ten Commandments, as Christians. That includes the Sabbath. In this day and age, I think we need to be open-minded about Sabbath. If you can follow it on Saturday, then, by all means, then you should. But if you can't, then I think God is merciful and will let us choose another day to refrain from our work. I have received a lot of flack for believing that, but I don't believe God to be so rigid.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I suggest you look into a Christian denomination that observes the seventh day as the Sabbath. The only one I'm personally aware of is the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, but I'm sure there are probably others as well. I think it's important to find a group of people with whom you can relate spiritually. This seems to be a pretty big issue to you, so you might want to look into that denomination.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Hmm
I believe that we should follow the Ten Commandments, as Christians. That includes the Sabbath. In this day and age, I think we need to be open-minded about Sabbath. If you can follow it on Saturday, then, by all means, then you should. But if you can't, then I think God is merciful and will let us choose another day to refrain from our work. I have received a lot of flack for believing that, but I don't believe God to be so rigid.
Seems to me that the Bible merely says work six days and rest the seventh and that the day of rest is the sabbath.
Does the Bible state anywhere that the sabbath is a specific day of the week (i.e. Monday, Thursday)?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

Same Faiths Debates forum folks. Since the title/OP is aimed at Christians, please don't post in this thread unless you identify as Christian.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Hmm

Amen to that. I agree with everything that you said. Especially the part about God's mercy. Praise be to God.:D

IsmailaGodHasHeard

I suggest you look into a Christian denomination that observes the seventh day as the Sabbath. The only one I'm personally aware of is the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, but I'm sure there are probably others as well. I think it's important to find a group of people with whom you can relate spiritually. This seems to be a pretty big issue to you, so you might want to look into that denomination.

I will have to check them out. I have to admit that I do not know anything about them.

The master motive here (of REMEMBERING the Holy Sabbath) is to demonstrate and establish loyalty. The individual levels of consciousness will vary with this concept. It really becomes a matter of our ability to hold (retention) and construct the texts that properly affords each soul it's right to breathe within its own constructive frame work or rationale of understanding.

lostwanderingsoul

the commandment says to remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. God is the one who made it holy and it was the seventh day after He finished creation in the first six days. It seems pretty clear the we are NOT to choose any day we like but are to remember and keep holy the seventh day which God blessed and made holy.

lostwanderingsoul

the commandment says to remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. God is the one who made it holy and it was the seventh day after He finished creation in the first six days. It seems pretty clear the we are NOT to choose any day we like but are to remember and keep holy the seventh day which God blessed and made holy.

12jtartar

Premium Member
Lostwanderingsoul,
In Genesis 2:3,the Bible tells us that God blessed the seventh day, and made it sacred, or Holy, because on it He rested from all the work that He had created.
God did not make this statement a law for man. The reason is; God did not mean for men to die, He wanted them to live forever. God told His purpose at Genesis 1:26-28, to multiply and fill the earth and have in subjection all the animals. This would take a long time!,
Here is the problem with making the sabbath A holy day. The seventh day is still the seventh day, we are living in that seventh day, today. Notice that all the other creative days had an end but not the seventh day. If we did as you say we would, of necessity hold every day sacred.
You see, God did not want man to disobey Him, and die.
After Adam sinned against God, God made a way to save Adam's offspring. Only later, with the instituting of the Mosaic Law Covenant, did God make the Sabbath a mandatory celebration, Exodus 20:8-11.
There is no place in Genesis where God told Adam to celebrate the Sabbath, because all his life he was living on the Sabbath, or seventh day.
Later God made men to recognize a seven day, 24 hours a day, week, and gave them the seventh day to rest from their work, from the six days.
The days of God's creative week were thousands of years, each. The seventh day in that week would, more than likely be of the same length.
Because we can determine that we are living in the last days of this last day, with the last period of this last day to be the Thousand Year Judgement Day, each of the creative days must have been 7,000 years long. When the Judgement day is over, that will end the creative week and we will celebrate the Jubilee, Leviticus 25:8-17. The Jubilee will be, for us the paradise earth that is called, in the scriptures, The New Heavens and The New Earth, Revelation 21:1-7.

lostwanderingsoul

I notice that Genesis describes the days of creation "the evening and the morning were the first day" An evening and a morning does not sound like thousands of years. Is it really hard to believe that God could finish all the work of creation in 144 hours? Then rest for 24 hours. Why is it so hard to believe God wants people to rest one day a week? Also , if God made the Sabbath a mandatory celebration in Mosaic law, what authority do we have that that law is not still in effect today?

james2ko

a continuation of a discussion from:

http://www.religiousforums.com/thre...-church-on-sundays.181450/page-2#post-4500489

It was Not until after the death of Jesus that the Constitution of the Law Covenant (contract ) was taken away - Colossians 2:13-14

1. "The handwriting of requirements" is a Greek legal term that signifies the penalty which a lawbreaker had to pay. Through Jesus' sacrifice, the penalty was wiped out ("the handwriting of requirements"), not the law! "This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the LORD: I will put my laws [the ten commandments] into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them" (Heb 10:16). Even Protestant commentators realize this. See what Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible states about Colossians 2:14.

True, Jesus did say - Matthew 5:17 - he came, Not to destroy, but to ' fulfill ' that Law.- Ephesians 2:15; Romans 10:4 To fulfill: When a builder has a contract to complete a building, not by ripping up the contract, but by finishing or completing the building structure. Once the building has been completed to the client's satisfaction, then the contract is fulfilled and the builder has No more obligation to the contract. Likewise, Jesus did Not break ( or rip up ) the Law, but rather Jesus fulfilled it by keeping it perfectly. Once fulfilled, that Law ' contract ' (covenant) was No longer binding for those who became Christians.

2. Christ specifically says "I did not come to abolish the Law and the Prophets but fulfill them". Somehow that translates to "I came to abolish the ten commandments by fulfilling them??? " The word "fulfill" does not mean "Do away with and terminate". When Jesus said His "Joy was fulfilled [pleroo] " (Joh 17:13-same Greek term used by Christ in Mat 5:17)) does that mean "joy" was abolished and no longer binding to Christians. No. Neither was the Moral Law--the ten commandments. Christ came to magnify the commandments spiritual intent, not do away with them, as evidenced by His examples toward the end of the same chapter (Mat 5:27).

That is why Christians today do Not keep the Mosaic Law contract which was only temporary for the one nation of ' ancient ' Israel. Colossians 2:16-17. Christian are under a " New Law " the -> " Law of the Christ " - Galatians 6:2.

3. The ten commandments were not replaced with some new commandment which somehow did away with the fourth and left the other nine. Especially given the biblical fact Jesus Himself expects His "true" followers today to be keeping the sabbath.

The Mosaic Law had over 600 laws besides the first main 10 commandments. There was a number 11,12,13 etc. up to over 600. Jesus' followers, on the other hand, would constitute a ' New Nation ' - Matthew 21:43; 1 Peter 2:9; 1 Peter 2:5 So, from Pentecost onward the ' New Nation ' would be a ' spiritual nation' founded or based on two basic laws - Matthew 22:36-40

4. Most civil and ceremonial laws were suspended with the sacrifice of Christ. This is the law Paul refers to that ended or is no longer binding. Not so with the 10 commandments, as Christ plainly illustrated to the rich young ruler. The law of Christ hung on the two great commandments. Love God and love your neighbor. These are two commandments which are merely a summary of the ten commandments. The first four commandments show us how to love God. The last six explain to us how to love our neighbor.

Through Jesus - Galatians 3:23-25 - Christians are No longer under the old. The old led to the ' new ' under Christ which does Not include a Sabbath keeping, but just to Not forsake gathering together - Hebrews 10:24-26

5. Yet Christ expects His end time followers to be keeping the sabbath law (Mat 24:20). Mat 24 is also clearly referring to a time period beyond 70 AD.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I notice that Genesis describes the days of creation "the evening and the morning were the first day" An evening and a morning does not sound like thousands of years. Is it really hard to believe that God could finish all the work of creation in 144 hours? Then rest for 24 hours. Why is it so hard to believe God wants people to rest one day a week? Also , if God made the Sabbath a mandatory celebration in Mosaic law, what authority do we have that that law is not still in effect today?

No, no, no. God does Not finish all the work of creation in 144 hours.
Please notice at Genesis 2:4 that all of the creative days are summed up by the word ' day '.
So, just as we might talk of ' grandfather's day ' as being more than a 24-hour day or 144 hours, so in Scripture the word ' day ' has shades of meaning. Jesus also talked of the ' days of Noah ' or Noah's day and we know that is an unspecified amount of time.
- Matthew 24:37

As far as the ' creative days ' there is No mention in Genesis about how long each day was, or even if they are of the same or of differing lengths of time. Please also notice that God's 7th day or rest period from creative works was still on going in the first century.
- Hebrews 4:3-11

By Scriptural authority we can see the Constitution of the Mosaic Law with its Sabbath's keepings was ' blotted out ' according to Colossians 2:14-16. Under the Law people were commanded to observe more than a weekly Sabbath. A system of Sabbaths:
- Leviticus 16:29-31; Leviticus 23:4-8; Leviticus 25:4; Leviticus 25:11; Numbers 28:26.
So, if one wants to keep the Sabbath keeping law shouldn't one then observe all of them ? _______
Who is the ' end of the Law ' according to Romans 10:4 ?____________
The "New" commandment Jesus gave us at John 13:34-35 is to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus had.
That would be the identifying mark, or hallmark, to identifying Christians Not Sabbath keeping.