• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is my theory...

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
The Animating Factor

There resides in nature an underlying, fundamental force by which all things exist and by which all of existence is animated. I call this The Animating Factor. ALL existing forces (known or unknown to science) are in some way interconnected, and even those forces or interactions which give rise to consciousness or life are in some way dependent on and ultimately derived from the interactions found within ALL matter. As matter interacts it shows us its propensity to change and take on new forms, including that peculiar form we call Life, but behind all those changes or forms are those same animating forces within nature that are in fact both formless and ceaseless. If our own consciousness or awareness is part of those animating forces which are formless, perhaps some part of it too is ceaseless.

---

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Yes I call this Consciousness or the Source, its our true inner being, to truly realize this is known as Enlightenment, the experience of feeling One with all there is. This has always been known and called all sorts of names, but the name is never what it is, in fact it cannot be named or conceptualized, its just what IS.

Parsimony

Sounds somewhat similar to Jean-Baptise Lamarck's "complexifying force" which he originally held to be responsible for evolution.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The Animating Factor

"There resides in nature an underlying, fundamental force by which all things exist and by which all of existence is animated. I call this The Animating Factor. ALL existing forces (known or unknown to science) are in some way interconnected, and even those forces or interactions which give rise to consciousness or life are in some way dependent on and ultimately derived from the interactions found within ALL matter. As matter interacts it shows us its propensity to change and take on new form, including that peculiar form we call Life, but behind all those changes or forms are those same animating forces within nature that are in fact both ceaseless and formless." -- R.C.Reichert

:cool:

You seem to have adopted an unnecessary hypothesis. Perhaps you should study the history of ether as a concept in physics.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
The Animating Factor

"There resides in nature an underlying, fundamental force by which all things exist and by which all of existence is animated. I call this The Animating Factor. ALL existing forces (known or unknown to science) are in some way interconnected, and even those forces or interactions which give rise to consciousness or life are in some way dependent on and ultimately derived from the interactions found within ALL matter. As matter interacts it shows us its propensity to change and take on new form, including that peculiar form we call Life, but behind all those changes or forms are those same animating forces within nature that are in fact both ceaseless and formless." -- R.C.Reichert

806790-jinn6.jpg

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
You seem to have adopted an unnecessary hypothesis. Perhaps you should study the history of ether as a concept in physics.

You know, for all intents and purposes, this may not in fact be a theory or hypothesis at all, rather it is simply my may of putting my understanding of nature into words that make sense to me.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
The Animating Factor

sounds like Vitalism

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You know, for all intents and purposes, this may not in fact be a theory or hypothesis at all, rather it is simply my may of putting my understanding of nature into words that make sense to me.

Then I think I might understand what you're getting at. I have a friend who describes things in terms of "spirits" and such. It's not my personal way of describing things, but she's pretty accurate in what she says, once you get her meanings.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Then I think I might understand what you're getting at. I have a friend who describes things in terms of "spirits" and such. It's not my personal way of describing things, but she's pretty accurate in what she says, once you get her meanings.

Yes, and sorry. I have a very metaphorical way of describing things, but usually they are pretty accurate (or at least I hope they are somewhat).:)

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
So are you saying there is something about it that you find unsettling?

No not at all. I find it entirely acceptable, if somewhat mystical interpretation of physics. This is why I said it lacks substance. Forgive me, I now realize you were not intentionally taking credit for gravity, the weak and strong forces, and electromagnetism, and just saying they were something called Animating Factor.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Yes, and sorry. I have a very metaphorical way of describing things, but usually they are pretty accurate (or at least I hope they are somewhat).:)

Well, "metaphorical ways of describing things" is also known as "poetry", and poetry can be pretty spot on, although not everyone easily "gets poetry".

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
No not at all. I find it entirely acceptable, if somewhat mystical interpretation of physics. This is why I said it lacks substance. Forgive me, I now realize you were not intentionally taking credit for gravity, the weak and strong forces, and electromagnetism, and just saying they were something called Animating Factor.

No problem. I admit there are elements that may sound somewhat mystical (I appologize for that) but I do believe there are only naturally existing unknowns to science.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Sounds like a spinozism to me

There I was hoping this thread was about the four fundamental forces - some hypothesis attempting to unify the four (just as was accomplished for electricity and magnetism); perhaps some attempt to formulate an abstraction of the forces into an expression of the capacity of different particles of matter to attract or repel (and/or effect the strength and distance thereof) other particles of matter which have certain characteristics, such as an electrical charge, mass, etc - you know... gravity described as mass based attraction, electromagneticism as charge based, weak-nuclear as w/z bozon (or something) based and strong nuclear as gluon (or something) based expressions of the same attraction/repulsion force.

*le sigh*

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Yes I call this Consciousness or the Source, its our true inner being, to truly realize this is known as Enlightenment, the experience of feeling One with all there is. This has always been known and called all sorts of names, but the name is never what it is, in fact it cannot be named or conceptualized, its just what IS.

I completely understand what you mean by "Consciousness" or "Source". However, in order for humankind to forward itself, I feel we should stray from the more "mystical" interpretations which only create conflict and confusion and lean towards more naturalistic, scientific interpretations of what may in fact be the same presiding thing. That's not to say that calling that force "Consciousness" or "Source" is wrong (it's up to you), it is just that the use of those terms can lead to a lot of confusion and negativity. That's not what we want. We want understanding.

Last edited:

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
The Animating Factor

What is the evidence?