• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is an evidence based argument.

Ethos88

This argument will be won based on given evidence. You must share links with CREDIBLE sources of research for or against the existence of the Christian god. If you make an argument you better back it with some legitimate sources.

I'm sick and tired of seeing post when a SCIENTIFIC LOGICAL question is asked and it gets some bs response.

As in something like this,Q: "Why doesn't god kill Satan?" A: "Because he is testing us."

That is the sort of answer a 6 year old should give, not (hopefully) educated people.

So there in lies the challenge, your responses will no longer be taken seriously if all you have to offer is your two cents. Debates do not work that way. EVIDENCE MUST BE GIVEN TO EARN CREDIBILITY.

Let the arguments begin.

dmgdnooc

Here's another.
The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin

Is your proposition that evolution disproves the Christian God?
If so, then pls state it and post evidence to that effect.

I do not assume that the existence of the Christian God is disproved by the fact of evolution.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Here's another.
The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin

Is your proposition that evolution disproves the Christian God?
If so, then pls state it and post evidence to that effect.

I do not assume that the existence of the Christian God is disproved by the fact of evolution.

I started a thread in the Christian section where I asked several questions and one of them was about this issue. Nobody has responded yet. I'm not sure if it's because I asked too many questions in one post, or because there aren't enough Christians of the sort for which the questions are applicable, or because they assume I wish to debate them there (which I do not because it's not a debate subforum).

It is my view that the Christian religion and evolution are somewhat at odds with each other, so when there's a Christian that believes in evolution, I'm always open to discussing the situation with them.

Christian doctrine, in general, states that god made the world good, but mankind sinned, and then the world was no longer as good, and suffering exists. Then they believe that Jesus took upon these sins so that those who believe in him can be saved from this situation.

But evolution and geology and all that shows that humans were not among the first creatures here. We're actually a pretty late addition to life on Earth. There have been creatures living, breathing, suffering, and dieing since the dawn of complex life. There have been several mass extinctions, there have always been things like volcanoes and such. This implies suffering existed before humans ever had a chance to sin.

-Lyn

Tathagata

Freethinker
I'm sick and tired of seeing post when a SCIENTIFIC LOGICAL question is asked and it gets some bs response.

As in something like this,Q: "Why doesn't god kill Satan?" A: "Because he is testing us."

That's NOT a scientific question. That is a theological matter that requires a theological answer and has nothing to do with science.

Last edited:

dmgdnooc

I started a thread in the Christian section where I asked several questions and one of them was about this issue. Nobody has responded yet.

I read your thread.
You stipulated a 'young earth creationist' and several other things that I am not, so I did not post to you.

I accept evolution and the geological age of the earth (and that humans have inhabited the earth for more than 6000 years). Finding little in that to raise an alarm bell in my mind or damage my faith.

The Bible is not a science text book, requiring it to be so just misses the point.

edit/ oops wrong thread, yours was the too many questions thread

Last edited:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I read your thread.
You stipulated a 'young earth creationist' and several other things that I am not, so I did not post to you.

I accept evolution and the geological age of the earth (and that humans have inhabited the earth for more than 6000 years). Finding little in that to raise an alarm bell in my mind or damage my faith.

The Bible is not a science text book, requiring it to be so just misses the point.

edit/ oops wrong thread, yours was the too many questions thread
Yeah, you kind of confused me there. I was thinking "how could he possibly have gotten that out of my thread? If anything my thread was asking for the exact opposite type of Christian." Now I see your edit.

Anyway, I understand that the Bible is not a science book, and I'm glad that many Christians are not so limiting in their beliefs. But this doesn't actually answer my more specific questions.

-Lyn

Ethos88

That's NOT a scientific question. That is a theological matter that requires a theological answer and has nothing to do with science.

I never said that specific question was anything resembling a scientific argument. I was merely stating I'm tired of seeing a question answered with complete hypothetical bull.

Erebus

Not that I believe in the Christian God, but exactly what kind of evidence would you be looking for Ethos? What would you consider to be sufficient scientific evidence to prove or disprove Yahweh?

Ethos88

Not that I believe in the Christian God, but exactly what kind of evidence would you be looking for Ethos? What would you consider to be sufficient scientific evidence to prove or disprove Yahweh?

I would like some repeatable process that somehow would show a specific reaction that would be sought after. Just like a scientific experiment has an end result with physical and reliable evidence.

Erebus

I would like some repeatable process that somehow would show a specific reaction that would be sought after. Just like a scientific experiment has an end result with physical and reliable evidence.

Would such a process be compatible with the Christian God though? He pretty much does whatever he wants anyway, so I don't know how you would test him.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Would such a process be compatible with the Christian God though? He pretty much does whatever he wants anyway, so I don't know how you would test him.
Well, there are ways. I'm not saying the Bible is accurate, but many Christians believe it is, so....

John 14:
9Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves.12I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

So basically:
-Believe on the evidence of the miracles
-Anyone who has faith in him will do what he has been doing, and greater things.
-Jesus will do whatever you ask for in his name.

These seem quite testable.