• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They are sending me to school! Help!

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Umm...what are the classes that people who are already Christian have to take to become Catholic? I'm confused.

I read the thing on CA, but I thought catechism classes were for non-Christians. I'm to take Catholic classes in September I believe...there won't be like, tons of little kids there will there? I'm afraid I'll be the only old person there!:confused:

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Mister Emu said:
Don't worry about that. I went to a class at my local parish, and I was the youngest one(17).
Oh, good. Well, the priest said I'm to call this priest who is also the principal of the elementary school, and he said something about him teaching the classes there I think. So I was a little concerned. Still don't know exactly what they are, but I'm assuming to learn more about the beliefs of the church?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
there won't be like, tons of little kids there will there? I'm afraid I'll be the only old person there!
Mr. Emu is correct. I was also the youngest one at 19 when I attended. When I get a chance I can put down the topics we went over in RCIA.

BTW, Cathecism is technically known to be for people who are already catholic and most people who attend are between 8-18 yrs. RCIA is for people with interest who are thinking of joining the Church. Although I have heard them combine Cathecism classes and RCIA classes in one if they are lacking teachers. Material is very similar.

~Victor

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I'm going through those classes myself. Since I drive a truck for a living, I cannot attend the classes myself, so my wife and I are being tought on a one on one basis by our Priest. I think the toughest part will be memorizing the Creeds and the Rosary.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
jgallandt said:
I'm going through those classes myself. Since I drive a truck for a living, I cannot attend the classes myself, so my wife and I are being tought on a one on one basis by our Priest. I think the toughest part will be memorizing the Creeds and the Rosary.
Okay, I get it now. That must be what happened - that they combined the RCIA and catechism classes - because I know they were talking about being short on people.

Memorization?? Oh no! What if I flunk??:eek:

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
johnnys4life said:
Okay, I get it now. That must be what happened - that they combined the RCIA and catechism classes - because I know they were talking about being short on people.

Memorization?? Oh no! What if I flunk??:eek:
No worry, you will be graded by whether you believe the material, not memorize it....;)

The Least
~Victor

Scott1

Hiya Karen,

Adult RCIA is the type of class I teach.... no one in my current class in under 30.... I hope you enjoy yourself in class.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Thanks, I hope I am the youngest one there, that would be awesome! Still waiting to hear back from a Deacon. I called the church and they told me to call him so I left a message with his wife. She said he would call me back, but no word yet! Thus the signature. Lord, give me patience - right now!

I was also reccomended a book called "This is our faith".

I haven't recieved it yet but I'm looking forward to reading it, it's supposed to be a Catholic Catechism for adults. Any other reccomendations?

I will probably go to the library this weekend anyway - although they never seem to have much unfortunately!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sounds like the sort of class I could do with! Don't worry, J4L - there's no shame in not knowing things, nor in being slow to learn, which is good for me, because that is how I am!:D

Scott1

johnnys4life said:
Thanks, I hope I am the youngest one there, that would be awesome! Still waiting to hear back from a Deacon. I called the church and they told me to call him so I left a message with his wife. She said he would call me back, but no word yet! Thus the signature. Lord, give me patience - right now!
Hehe.... sounds like my wife! What brought about the change... last time we spoke, it seemed you were heading away from the Church>>>????
I haven't recieved it yet but I'm looking forward to reading it, it's supposed to be a Catholic Catechism for adults. Any other reccomendations?
Catholic Christianity by Peter Kreeft, Ignatius Press

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Scott1 said:
Hehe.... sounds like my wife! What brought about the change... last time we spoke, it seemed you were heading away from the Church>>>????
The thing was I was reading lies. After further investigation, I found they had taken the entire document in question out of context, and I was very upset and sickened by that - but not surprised. Like for example, in some cases the Catholic churches dealings were specified for places where there WERE no laws, so how can you turn someone in when there is no law against it? The closer I get to the church the more anti-Catholic bias I see.

Besides, it's obvious this is the church Christ founded. I've looked at that Bible verse tons of times, and I've heard people say that Christ meant himself and not Peter, but that overlooks the fact that Peter comes from "petros" which means the little rock. And besides, I wouldn't say, "you are peter, and..." right before talking about myself, so why would Jesus?

My church doesn't have communion regularly (in fact I have never seen them do it) and they don't confess. For people who claim to go by the Bible they have left a lot of things out. They advocate birth control -which everyone knows I'm disgusted about! They can't agree on things, because the Bible is thier only authority and everyone interprets it different, and somehow I got away with wasting 4 crazy years of my life being a pro-choice Christian in that church and no one ever set me straight. I don't think that's right.

Plus I've been reading the catechism and I LOVE it. And I totally agree about not being magically saved forever just because you say the Jesus prayer once. I agree with them on marriage, too. I know a lot of people are still divorcing in the CC but it's not like being Protestant where your 3rd marriage is just no biggie and your pastor is more likely to help you find your new spouse than discourage it. I believe in doing good deeds because that's WHY God called you. I love the parish nearby too, they are always out there doing SO MUCH good deeds, bless thier hearts, I can't wait to join. I have always rememberd that verse "you will know them by thier fruits' and just judging on that alone would be enough. Plus the pastor is one who isn't concieted one bit. He outright tells everyone that he is just as much in need of forgiveness as we are, and when I talked to him he said "It's not ME that can bring you into the church, it's God." (At first I was a little mad about them not kicking people out enough, but the priest explained that it is out of mercy and not to condone what they are doing.)

I know I have more reading to do, and still a few questions but I am heading this way for now, and unless something huge stops me I will continue to. I've been praying for a LONG time about it, and right now all signs are go.

Okay enough for now! Although just one more thing, and this one is a biggie, my husband supports my decision now!!! I don't know how but it's a miracle - I've been praying that if God really wants me in the Catholic church that he would not let it come between my husband and me, and so all of a sudden my husband's like "I'll watch the baby so you can go to church." About knocked me flat, he is a pastor's son. He is still not overjoyed about it, but he isn't telling me to go read Martin Luther anymore either! The only thing that really makes me sad is that he says our kids can't be raised Catholic, but I feel they will be watching me for an example and as a SAHM that is a lot of power to wield, and they can still come with me to church if they want, he wouldn't stop them if they wanted to, so in the end it will be thier decision anyway.

Whew, this is WAY too long. Need to know more just ask!

Scott1 said:
Catholic Christianity by Peter Kreeft, Ignatius Press
Great, I'll look it up!

Scott1

WOW!

Wonderful news... I do believe that it is quite a miracle... God be praised.

Always here if you have questions....
Scott