• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Therians

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
This is a branch off of my other thread on OtherKin: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/theological-concepts/52444-otherkin-5.html#post1900260

I want to start talking about Therianism(the link to the old thread is because we started going down that path there and would like to make it it's own thread).

I was not sure where to put this thread ether. I put it here in the Theological Concept because for one to believe(know) one is a Therian one most believe they have a Soul, the soul of a Non-Human Animal(examples Painted Wolf a Wolf and myself a Fox[I hope PW doesn't mind if a used her as an example]^_^).

To start:
A Therian is someone that believes that there Soul is that of a Non-Human Animal(that of a living know existing animal).
There are a few different, I guess one call them sub-Therians, for lack of a better word:
Contherians is one that comes to mind:
Therians who do not experience mental shifts, but are always in a state of both theriotype and human at the same time (passive). It is one of the sub-categories of Therians.
I do feel that that fits me best.

I have heard some people say that Therians are a type of Other-Kin, but I do believe that they are wrong. Other-Kin are those that believe that there Souls are that of a Mythological being or animal.(example: Dragons, Pixies, Elves, even Angels or Demons). But that's enough of Other-Kins just making a point to show the difference.

Well I think that's a good start. If anyone has any question please ask. And if anyone that know about the subject wishes to add please feel free to.
And remember, this is in a Discussion thread in a Discussion forum please lets keep it that way, no debate and if one can not say anything nice then just don't post. Let's all be Adult here.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Now I was under the impression that Otherkin was the starting term, and below that you had the first division:

Otherkin

Therian ----- Non-therian

And then it further divides from there. Is this just one way to do it, or are my assumptions acting up again? ;)

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Now I was under the impression that Otherkin was the starting term, and below that you had the first division:

Otherkin

Therian ----- Non-therian

And then it further divides from there. Is this just one way to do it, or are my assumptions acting up again? ;)
Well there are some who think this. But really Otherkin are the Myth animal being and Therians are living known animal. The is the similarity in the belief that we have Non-Human soul but other then that we are different.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Over in my other thread Body Dysphoria was brought up. The feeling that one is in the wrong body, it's most used when talking about Transsexual. But in this cause I will be using it for Therians. Though there is a term that has been made for Therians itself called Species Dysphoria, now I don't feel this is a better term(in fact it might make one seem weirder then they all ready are), just thought I'd bring it up.
What are your thought?

Thank you for sharing, Azakel.
I have been pondering such subjects, and am glad to find someone who wishes to speak.
A question -maybe more-: How does one go about discovering this soul and which animal it is? Does known animals include extinct ones?
I was once a student of Shamanism, and as stated in your Otherkin thread, it seems Therian and Shamanism may be slightly similar, they are different.
Thank you again.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
How does one go about discovering this soul and which animal it is? Does known animals include extinct ones?
I believe this all depends on the persons in general. I my have all was felt different, but didn't think much about it. I'm not really sure how I came to this conclusion, I have only know about the term Therian for 4 years now, but know I was a Fox for a lot longer.
I'm sure if are other resident Therian wishes to post her might have been different.
Sorry for not adding more, I'm not good at explaining things really.
And I'm not sure if extinct animal are included, I would guess yes, but I have not met one.

I was once a student of Shamanism, and as stated in your Otherkin thread, it seems Therian and Shamanism may be slightly similar, they are different.
Thank you again.
They are really different. I don't know a whole lot about Shamanism, but for what I know it seem that in it's practices the Spirit of (say) an animal possesses the person(right?). While with Therians there Souls are that of an Animal, and not just possessed.
Hope this helps.

In Shamanism there are totems, spirits which may attach themselves to the individual to impart knowledge, protect, guide, empower, or other. Some believe they change while others believe the totems remain the same from introduction to death. There are 'rituals' to become closer to totems to help understand the totem and what they are there for the individual for.

Back to Therians.
I have felt animalistic characteristics: raising hackles, baring fangs, growling, even felt like running to feel the wind in my fur. And I have had flashes of memory -I don't know, but they were visual. And I have felt very close kindred with the wolf. I don't say this because I think they are majestic and strong. I have always had a reverence for them. I thought, while studying shamanism, that wolf was one of my totems, but no, Raven, Cougar, and Deer are.
Do you know of any meditations or perhaps rituals or any way of asking your soul to reveal itself?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
In Shamanism there are totems, spirits which may attach themselves to the individual to impart knowledge, protect, guide, empower, or other. Some believe they change while others believe the totems remain the same from introduction to death. There are 'rituals' to become closer to totems to help understand the totem and what they are there for the individual for.
Thank you for explaining.

Do you know of any meditations or perhaps rituals or any way of asking your soul to reveal itself?
Sorry I do not. I'm not sure there are really any.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
I used to consider myself a Therian when I was younger. It was a nice way of distinguishing the plain old "furries" from those who take the idea of animal-based spirituality more seriously.

I'm glad that the term continues to be used. Sometimes people who would rightly be called Therians are lumped in with greater "furry culture" and are dismissed as such, which I think is unjust. There's certainly some overlap, but every now and then one needs to be able to define that part of themselves without all the baggage of furry MTV Specials and Vogue magazine articles (or the baggage attached to "weres" for that matter.)

I'm curious as to what sort of practice you do to engage that part of yourself Azakel?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I'm curious as to what sort of practice you do to engage that part of yourself Azakel?
By living my life day by day has who and what I am. That all I can do. I do though spend a lot of time outdoors, but I think a lot of people whether Therian or not have that feeling of wanting to be outside. ^_^

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Form the Otherkin thread:
I discovered the term Therianthropy in the early 1990's... it seemed a bit better than calling myself a werewolf, as that has too many horror movie stereotypes as baggage.
There are some people that still call themselves Werewolves, perhaps though they don't care about what other say. If I didn't know the therm I wouldn't know to refer to myself has. Kitsune..No. Werefox....no(even though that sounds cool).

As for being a wolf... quite honestly I grew up disliking canids. I was very confused and upset about my wolfishness as a child. If I had a choice, I wouldn't have chosen being a wolf. (I liked Horses and Eagles)
I have noticed these among other Canidae Therians. I wounder if it has to do with how maybe canids interact with each other.
I know I feel the same way, and still do some times. I want nothing to do with are two dogs know and wish them to stay far away from me. I'm vary picky about what dogs I'm around....

You're welcome and Thank you ^_^

Last edited:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Therianism and "Shamanism" are quite distinct.

How I knew what I was is a complicated question.... I grew up knowing that something was 'different' about me, but not really knowing what. I was lucky to be able to grow up spending my summers and winter breaks essentially in the wild. While some kids built forts, I built dens... I didn't realize that was what they were until later (I thought of them as 'forts'). Forts generally are not grass lined scrapes under large rocks, just large enough to fit comfortably in.
I could run just as fast on all fours as on two feet (and often did).

I often felt uncomfortable in my body... and still do. It's odd to look in the mirror and not really connect to what you see reflected back to you. I've frequently wanted the old horror movies to be real and to be able to change my body to reflect my real self. I realize this isn't possible and I've made peace with that. (and no, I'm not into beastality... unless my attraction to my mate equates to a sort of reverse bestiality)

I always knew that what I was doing was "wrong" somehow... and that I shouldn't let anyone know about it... unless we were "playing" animals... or later playing "monsters". As I got older I tried to stop, several times... but I always 'relapsed' into my comfortable animal ways. And always made sure that I was safely out of view of anyone who might discover my secret.

I even hid it from my mate at first... I didn't want her to reject me for being 'crazy'. (Ironically she was doing the same thing... but she was transgendered) We came out to each other around the same time and we have often talked about how parallel our experiences were growing up. :D

She is in transition which is wonderful... now she can live full time as she truly is. I have a significant measure of peace knowing I don't have to hide my nature from her and our home is my safe space. I do have to admit that I now worry a bit about how to be around my son. I don't want him to be like me... I want him to be "normal"

wa:do

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
painted wolf, what you said got me thinking. I wounder if some of the eating habits I hold could be because I'm a Therian?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
When I was looking around the internet during my break at work I found some people that would be considered 'Fuzzies'(thanks painted wolf for the term).
People that say there are Therian, but don't seem to understand the term and have(made) mix and all. I'm not down playing them, but would like to mention that usually people like this are the reason way Therians(and yes even Otherkin) are not taken serious. Now I am all for one believing what they believe themselves to be, but even there's a point(Bold comments are mine).

Examples:
I am a hybrid of sorts... a fox/wolf/dragon/tiger mix... it's because of being in a lab in the past life.. in a whole different world.. don't ask me how the heck I got here.

Really, come on. I know that believing that your soul is that of an animal is weird in the first place but what a mix, not just a fox/wolf, but also a dragon and tiger. If anything this would make them a Otherkin, not Therian. and the thing is most Otherkin group might also look at such a mix as a role player.

I discovered that I am a wolf/snowy owl therian

I say that's a bit better, at lest it's two living animals. Though saying you have a Canid and Avian is kind of weird in on it own too.

im a wolf/dragon/owl therian

Read the first two.....

Now I'm not trying to judge here. I'm just pointing out some of the people one will encounter if you look in Therian and the community. It's sad to say but sometimes it easy to find these people then more Knowable people like are vary own Painted Wolf.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
painted wolf, what you said got me thinking. I wounder if some of the eating habits I hold could be because I'm a Therian?
Mayhaps? Mine are odd behaviors around food... I've never been starved in any meaningful sense of the word...but I get very tetchy about food sharing. (I'm much better now)

I won't eat if I can't share with my mate (I still often do this and still feel guilty about getting myself food just for me)... but that sharing had to be stupidly equal if I was hungry... on the flip side I feel like giving her more is a very affectionate move. (something that still amuses/baffles her)
It's rather neurotic...

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I think that some people feel the need to be "different" and the more different they are the better they feel. People are drawn to certain animals, but they can often mistake that draw for something deeper. They want to see aspects of themselves in animals, but then assume that means they are that animal.

I personally never wanted to be what I am...

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I think that some people feel the need to be "different" and the more different they are the better they feel. People are drawn to certain animals, but they can often mistake that draw for something deeper. They want to see aspects of themselves in animals, but then assume that means they are that animal.
I agree, this is the way I see people like that. Funny thing also though, when I first was coming into an understanding of my Therian self a friend of mine who is also a Therian kept telling me over and over that I was not. He never wanted to even give me the chance to talk about it with him, and said all I was doing is wanting to feel 'special'. When I turned it on him though he got mad...

For me, I wouldn't say that it wasn't that I didn't want to be what I am.
I just thought I would have been something different.

^_^ Thank you and you're welcome.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
When I was looking around the internet during my break at work I found some people that would be considered 'Fuzzies'(thanks painted wolf for the term).
People that say there are Therian, but don't seem to understand the term and have(made) mix and all. I'm not down playing them, but would like to mention that usually people like this are the reason way Therians(and yes even Otherkin) are not taken serious. Now I am all for one believing what they believe themselves to be, but even there's a point(Bold comments are mine).

Examples:
I am a hybrid of sorts... a fox/wolf/dragon/tiger mix... it's because of being in a lab in the past life.. in a whole different world.. don't ask me how the heck I got here.

Really, come on. I know that believing that your soul is that of an animal is weird in the first place but what a mix, not just a fox/wolf, but also a dragon and tiger. If anything this would make them a Otherkin, not Therian. and the thing is most Otherkin group might also look at such a mix as a role player.

I discovered that I am a wolf/snowy owl therian

I say that's a bit better, at lest it's two living animals. Though saying you have a Canid and Avian is kind of weird in on it own too.

im a wolf/dragon/owl therian

Read the first two.....

Now I'm not trying to judge here. I'm just pointing out some of the people one will encounter if you look in Therian and the community. It's sad to say but sometimes it easy to find these people then more Knowable people like are vary own Painted Wolf.

So Fuzzies are the Fluffy Bunnies of the Otherkin/Therian categories?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
So Fuzzies are the Fluffy Bunnies of the Otherkin/Therian categories?
That's the way I see it. When I ask painted wold what she meant when she said 'Fuzzies' she said:
Fuzzies are IMHO those who claim to be Werewolves for example, then say they could never hurt a bunny... or they are a wolf "with wings".... Or claim to be a cat one time then change their mind and now they are a fox or whatever is trendy. Or that they are some sort of hybrid... "wolf-lion-bat-dragon thing"
I often lump those that claim to be a mythical creature in here... I've never heard anyone exclaim existential crisis at not really existing.
That to me seems like a Fluffy Bunny. ^_^

Don't get my wrong, I exhibit a ton of dog traits and some of my friend think of me as a dog but I am human, Not that it makes me special, I am just not a dog, would I like to be one, no I like being human and I love hands. Dogs are amazing creatures and I envy some of the blessing they have but I would rather admire them from a humans perspective because I feel that having these traits would diminish the awe I feel to them.

When I here talk about this, it saddens me to think that so many people hate being human when even we have great traits and awe inspiring talents.