• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no prophet after Mohammed

Steinninn

Viking
I remember seeing a quote from the Quaran about Mohammed saying that he was the last prophet. I know there must be a way to search for these writings, but I don't know where. Can anyone help me?

Adib

Lover of World Religions
The Quran 33:40 says that Muhammad is the Seal of the Prophets, which I'm sure is the quote you're referring to.

Multiple discussions about this subject have taken place here. You can follow a current discussion about this subject that we're having on another forum: Baha'i Library Forum - Last Prophet?

Please feel free to ask any questions. :)

arthra

Baha'i
Steinninn ..

Welcome to the Baha'i Forum!

The Baha'i view in brief is that the age of prophecy was sealed by Prophet Muhammad and the age of fulfillment has now dawned with the Declaration of the Bab in 1260 AH/1844. So we believe the prophecies of the previous age are being fulfilled today in this age.

There's a detailed article on this at

Baha'u'llah: The Great Announcement of the Qur'an

Since the discussion is rather detailed I would invite you to peruse the article foer a more complete view..

- Art;)

Steinninn

Viking
I'm sure I saw a quote from the Quaran somwhere going somewhere along these lines

"I am the seal of the profhets, so know that anyone that comes after me and claims to be one is in deed not."

Something like this, is my memory not so good anymore, or did someone make up this quote.

lunamoth

Will to love
I'm sure I saw a quote from the Quaran somwhere going somewhere along these lines

"I am the seal of the profhets, so know that anyone that comes after me and claims to be one is in deed not."

Something like this, is my memory not so good anymore, or did someone make up this quote.
Maybe ask in the Islam forum here?

Women_Of_Reason

Mystery Lover
This is the chapter and verse you are looking for.
The chapter is #33: The Clans
and the verse 40:
[33.40] Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but he is the Apostle of Allah and the Last of the prophets; and Allah is cognizant of all things.

arthra

Baha'i
The verse in question which was cited above by Adib was Surih 33 verse 40.. In the Arabic the term is

وَخَاتَمَ النَّبِيِّينَ

wa khaataman nabiyeen

and the Seal of the Prophets

The same word "Nabiyeen" in Arabic is cognate in Hebrew.

Unlike Judaism and Christianity, Islam distinguishes between a direct messenger of God (rasul) and a prophet (nabi). Both function as divinely inspired recipients of God's revelation. However, in addition, rasuls are given a divine message or revelation for a community in book form. While every rasul is a nabi, not every nabi is a rasul.

Baha'is believe once more, that this verse means the cycle of prophecy is sealed or ended and that the cycle of fulfillment is begun after the dispensation of Prophet Muhammad which we believe ended in 1260 AH or 1844 AD.

and:

• Universally, the Prophets are of two kinds. One are the independent Prophets Who are followed; the other kind are not independent and are themselves followers.
    The independent Prophets are the lawgivers and the founders of a new cycle. Through Their appearance the world puts on a new garment, the foundations of religion are established, and a new book is revealed. Without an intermediary They receive bounty from the Reality of the Divinity, and their illumination is an essential illumination. They are like the sun which is luminous in itself: the light is its essential necessity; it does not receive light from any other star. These Dawning-places of the morn of Unity are the sources of bounty and the mirrors of the Essence of Reality.
    The other Prophets are followers and promoters, for they are branches and not independent; they receive the bounty of the independent Prophets, and they profit by the light of Guidance of the universal Prophets. They are like the moon, which is not luminous and radiant in itself, but receives its light from the sun.
    The Manifestations of Universal Prophethood Who appeared independently are, for example, Abraham, Moses. Christ, Muhammad, The Bab and Baha'u'llah. But the others who are followers and promoters are like Solomon, David, Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel. For the independent Prophets are founders; They establish a new religion and make new creatures of men; They change the general morals, promote new customs and rules, renew the cycle and the Law. Their appearance is like the season of spring, which arrays all earthly beings in a new garment, and give them a new life.
    With regard to the second sort of Prophets who are followers, these also promote the Law of God, make known the Religion of God, and proclaim His word. Of themselves they have no power and might, except what they receive from the independent Prophets. `Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, pp. 164-165
The word "seal" is the same in Hebrew and Arabic Khataaman:

9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.
(King James Bible, Daniel)

12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.
(King James Bible, Daniel)

Last edited:

Adib

Lover of World Religions
Thanks for that arthra. :)

I would like to make a request to anyone wishing to discuss this subject: please read these older threads at this site on the subject, as well as the link on the Baha'i Library forum I provided earlier (this discussion is more recent and still continuing, so you may want to keep track of it):

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/bahai-faith/47238-question.html

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/bahai-faith/15976-prophets-do-bahais-recognize.html

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/bahai-faith/28537-question-about-bab-bahaullah.html

This way, nobody would have to re-invent the wheel should another discussion arise. ;)