• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no contradiction in Religion and Science

Thistle

It is a misconception that religion is against science; no founder of any revealed religions was against science; in fact they were secular in this respect.
For example anybody to please quote from Quran for its being against science and or technology in principle; it is not.

Quran does not claim to be a text book of science (and the same way, I think other revealed religions also); if somebody thinks that a verse of Quran is against science; that could be a misunderstanding only.

Science is in fact a joint product of theists and atheists.

I never claimed religion is against science (although it does selectively brushes aside scientific data when it conflicts with dogma). The misconception here therefore seems to be of a different nature, and coming from a different source.

gnostic

The Lost One
paarsurrey said:
I had the list already from Wikipedia.

I wanted him to name one such journal which in his opinion is the best in science.

My goodness. You display a considerable lack of knowledge (hence ignorance) when it comes to science and on how scientific community reach consensus to which hypothesis/theory become "scientific".

Acceptance of any scientific theory or what report or observation (testing, experiment, evidences discovered, etc) is considered to be scientific is not reach through just ONE peer-review journal, but through many journals.

The only way for objectivity, is when you considered several or many peer-review journals, not just on one. When these journals put the proposed hypothesis/theory under scrutiny.

Before any hypothesis (unverified explanation) can become theory (scientific theory or explanation that have been verified), it must undergo series of observation (again, testing, experiment, evidences discovered, etc), not only by the one(s) who formulated the hypothesis, but tested independently by other scientists. All of which is part of scientific method. And with these independent observations it will either make or break the hypothesis. All the hypothesis, test reports or evidences are put before the scrutiny of peer-review.

This is why Darwin's Natural Selection has become a theory on Evolutionary Biology/Science, because it had undergone decades of scientific method (repeated testings, and new evidences uncovered) and through the scrutiny of peer-review (in fields of biology).

And it is why things like Abrahamic creationism(s) and Intelligent Design failed to be scientific, because there are no way to test Creator Deity or the Designer were in any way involved the supposed CREATION or the supposed DESIGN of the universe, world (Earth) or life.

Science can only test the natural world, not the supernaturals or unnatural, like deities, angels, demons/djinns, miracles, afterlife, heaven/paradise, hell, etc.

There is no "best" journal.

Some journals covered different fields of science. Some just cover biology or life science, while others may cover medicine, or astronomy. It really depends on what field that hypothesis/theory falls under. It would be pretty stupid for group of astrophysicists to peer-review any new papers in the field of microbiology. And you wouldn't have psychologists reviewing papers from neurosurgery, or vice versa. Some journals may cross over to more than one field. Do you understand what I am saying here?

Why do you think only one journal that is "best"?

Tumbleweed provided a link for you. It is up to you to pick a field, from any of the selected journals, and to read it yourself.

And in which field are you talking about?

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
And in which field are you talking about?

I think in one of my posts I have specified the field "to find God". It is none of the business of science to "find God"; it is not in their jurisdiction; hence decade after decades; rather centuries after centuries have passed and will pass but no specific field of science for this specific purpose will be detailed.

Neither science discusses religion in any of its field; nor truthful religion opposes it it.

gnostic

The Lost One
paarsurrey said:
I think in one of my posts I have specified the field "to find God". It is none of the business of science to "find God"; it is not in their jurisdiction; hence decade after decades; rather centuries after centuries have passed and will pass but no specific field of science for this specific purpose will be detailed.

Neither science discusses religion in any of its field; nor truthful religion opposes it it.

As far as I know, no scientists are looking for God, because his supposed existence is NOT FALSIFIABLE (hence "not scientific") and untestable. There are no evidences for his existence, and no evidences to such a being "creating" anything.

That's why God, angels, miracles and afterlife falls under FAITH and BELIEF, not in science. The whole religion businesses - which have scriptures that narrate God and his creation - and from especially the Abrahamic religions, fall under the realm of myths.

Do not confuse religious folklores, myths, allegories and parables (in religion) with science, because the two are nothing alike.

Can you even prove that spirits exist, let alone the spirit of God?

You can't. All you have some scriptures, some dogma and blind faith that such-and-such being exist.

Those who think they can "find God", as you say, do so in pseudoscience, not real science. If you want to find God, then you should go to church, mosque, synagogue or temple. Ask people there.

So :no: You won't find God in scientific peer-review journals.

It looks like Tumbleweed41 wasted his perfectly good link on you, :( because apparently you have no interests in looking at those journals. And I think a lot of people (including me) have wasted their time on this useless thread.

And in any case, you wrote:

paarsurrey said:
I think in one of my posts I have specified the field "to find God".

You didn't specify "God" or "religion" as a peer review journal. You wrote peer review journal on science itself, requesting that I.S.L.A.M617 to supply you with one journal. Do you remember this post (91)?

paarsurrey's reply to I.S.L.A.M617 said:
A question.

Is there any creditable science journal in the world which publishes peer reviewed articles on subjects of science?

Just name one, please.

Reviewed articles on "subjects of science"?

Does that ring a bell? Did say anything about journal on God or religion here?

Last edited:

Krok

....There is no "best" journal....
Hey, there is. SA Journal of Geology.They publish peer-reviewed research on the geology of South Africa and sometimes of the neighbouring and other countries on the continent. It's the "best" journal for SA geos! ;)

They publish articles on geology. Not biology or cosmology or physics or chemistry or religion or myths or anything else like that. Just geology.

And last time I checked geology was a natural science!

Last edited:

shawn001

What is the difference between Natural and Supernatural?

pbd.jpg

gnostic

The Lost One
krok said:
Hey, there is. SA Journal of Geology.They publish peer-reviewed research on the geology of South Africa and sometimes of the neighbouring and other countries on the continent. It's the "best" journal for SA geos! ;)

They publish articles on geology. Not biology or cosmology or physics or chemistry or religion or myths or anything else like that. Just geology.

And last time I checked geology was a natural science!

From paarsurrey's reply to tumbleweed41:

paarsurrey said:
I had the list already from Wikipedia.

I wanted him to name one such journal which in his opinion is the best in science.

...he (paarsurrey) seemed to imply (or think) that ONE journal and ONLY ONE journal is needed for every fields of science.

There are many branches of science, and each branch there are number of fields and subfields of science. He didn't specify any specific field or category, so understandably Tumbleweed41 gave him a whole list of them.

And as far as I know, there are no GOD field in science, judging his reply (post 103) to mine:

paarsurrey said:

He such a @#$@#@!

Last edited:

Krok

...he (paarsurrey) seemed to imply (or think) that ONE journal and ONLY ONE journal is needed for every fields of science.
Yes, I gathered that. I was trying to be sarcastic while at the same time show paarsurrey that he doesn't have the foggiest. :foot:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I think that I did tell that I already had the list of science journals from Wikipedia.

I did not see any of them specially devoted to the field of finding the one true creator God, who is only attributive.

So, it is not related to science to find the one true creator God.

gnostic

The Lost One
paarsurrey said:
I think that I did tell that I already had the list of science journals from Wikipedia.

I did not see any of them specially devoted to the field of finding the one true creator God, who is only attributive.

So, it is not related to science to find the one true creator God.

So?

I don't see any scripture containing anything about science.

In the past, I've studied civil engineering, and later computer science. I did not find God in any of my textbooks, nor did any of the teachers, tutors or lecturers ever mention the G word.

If God had contributed to either of those courses, then he would deserve some credits for his achievements in these fields. But he didn't, so why God be mentioned at all.

Did God teach me to design building structures, roads or bridges?

Did God showed us the optimal angle for laying out pipes for water or sewerage?

Did God invent the PCs, main frames, or the mobile phones?

If God didn't know any of these or teach them, what's the point of mentioning God?

So why should God be mentioned in science journals? Did God reveal any scientific knowledge to us without us knowing?

If you looking for God, then look for him in a damn church or mosque or something. Pray!

Or do what your prophets did: Climb a mountain or find a dank cave.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I don't see any scripture containing anything about science.

They don't oppose science so why should they mention it specifically; yes science is a source of knowledge and acquiring knowledge is mentioned in Quran:

[20:115] Exalted then is Allah, the True King! And be not impatient for the Qur’an ere its revelation is completed unto thee, but only say, ‘O my Lord, increase me in knowledge.’

The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So?

In the past, I've studied civil engineering, and later computer science. I did not find God in any of my textbooks, nor did any of the teachers, tutors or lecturers ever mention the G word.

If God had contributed to either of those courses, then he would deserve some credits for his achievements in these fields. But he didn't, so why God be mentioned at all.

Did God teach me to design building structures, roads or bridges?

Did God showed us the optimal angle for laying out pipes for water or sewerage?

Did God invent the PCs, main frames, or the mobile phones?

If God didn't know any of these or teach them, what's the point of mentioning God?

So why should God be mentioned in science journals? Did God reveal any scientific knowledge to us without us knowing?

If you looking for God, then look for him in a damn church or mosque or something. Pray!

Or do what your prophets did: Climb a mountain or find a dank cave.

The atheists/agnostics/skeptics are so sentimental on this issue and they laud science so much, though science is not a function of atheism; so if existence of God is so important to them; why don't they set up a special field to find God and outline the tools they have in this connection.

Or Dawkins or Hawking should have not spoken on this issue; if it was not related to science.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
The atheists/agnostics/skeptics are so sentimental on this issue and they laud science so much, though science is not a function of atheism; so if existence of God is so important to them; why don't they set up a special field to find God and outline the tools they have in this connection.

Or Dawkins or Hawking should have not spoken on this issue; if it was not related to science.
Oddly, this sounds like a veiled shift of the burden of proof.

Nobody needs to prove you wrong; you need to prove you're right.

There are so very many aspects of the Abrahamic faiths which are the reasons for incursions into secular life, for things which otherwise go against human rights and established scientific fact, that it really behooves you folks, to do this yourselves.

yoheisato

I am quite sure you know this. All I am saying, do not confuse science with faith. Science uses evidence, not faith.

Faith is what happens in the absence of logic, evidence, and proof. Science is not a faith system.

I am seeing a bigger picture on this, but I am sure you won't agree.

I am saying that science is a religion because it is a faith system in logic, evidence, and proof. Basically, we are not disagreeing. If we disagree, it's most likely only because of the difference in the definition of the language.

There is no reason whatsoever to have the slightest respect for any religion. I prefer to respect people, no matter what they believe, unless and until their actions make me lose that respect.

Thanks. I fully agree with the part I quote above (but not with the rest which I did not quote).

gnostic

The Lost One
yoheisato said:
I am saying that science is a religion because it is a faith system in logic, evidence, and proof.

It is methodology of finding answers (like Scientific Method) of the natural world. Through experiences, observation and evidences. It doesn't use deities or other invisible beings as the answer or explanation to any phenomena.

That differ from religion.

Religion is belief (and worship) in supernatural beings (like gods, angels, or other spiritual beings, etc) that you can't prove. And it uses myths and fables. That's what faith is.

If science falls under any characteristics, it is under philosophy, not religion. More specifically philosophy of empirical epistemology.

Yes, we disagree with the definitions of science, faith and religion. Your definitions are askew.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Science is a religion because it is a faith system in logic, evidence, and proof. Basically, we are not disagreeing. If we disagree, it's most likely only because of the difference in the definition of the language.

I agree with you; under a situation where atheists/agnostics/skeptics are not involved in the science directly to a special branch of it as experts; and give opinion on other branches of science; there they certainly believe it on faith and sometimes if not often out of blind faith when they sentimentally cling to it.

gnostic

The Lost One
paarsurrey said:
I agree with you; under a situation where atheists/agnostics/skeptics are not involved in the science directly to a special branch of it as experts; and give opinion on other branches of science; there they certainly believe it on faith and sometimes if not often out of blind faith when they sentimentally cling to it.

paarsurrey said:
There is no reason whatsoever to have the slightest respect for atheism; its adherents must be subjected to scrutiny.

paarsurrey said:

You do know that there is a clear distinction between science and atheism/agnosticism, don't you?

Why do you persist on putting science and atheism/agnosticism together, when they are COMPLETELY UNRELATED. And yet, you seemed to link them together, as if ONLY atheists or agnostics support modern science. Even a lot of the religious and theists people here support science. The only one who don't, are the literal creationists.

Both atheism & agnosticism ONLY deal with the question of GOD'S EXISTENCE OR NONEXISTENCE....AND NOTHING ELSE! Neither atheism nor agnosticism is a science issue.

I have to emphasize my point with CAPITALS, to drive this point into thick skull of yours.

You should understand that atheism or agnosticism IS NOT an extension of science. And science IS NOT an extension of atheism or agnosticism. Because many of your posts seem to imply that they are the ONE AND THE SAME, when THEY REALLY ARE NOT THE SAME!

My point is that science is NOT the realm of atheism or agnosticism. Anyone - with the will and patience - can learn and understand science, or even become scientists, and that including religious and theistic people.

My own education and experiences in science has nothing to do with my agnosticism. Until 6 or 7 years ago, I didn't even know what agnosticism was. In fact, I didn't know I was agnosticism. My position in agnosticism, in no way affect my understanding in science.

And there are many religious members here (including theists) who are knowledgeable in science, with qualifications and experiences.

If a person had no understanding of (or education in) science, scientific theories or scientific method, then I would agree with you that this person is accepting science on faith. But with technology available, everywhere to be seen, our understanding now in the natural world, in biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics (as well as applied science, including computer science, astronomy and medicine) far exceeded those 100 years ago, 200, 500 or 1000 years ago, then you would have to bl@#dy stupid to not see the evidences.

There were many great Muslim scientists during the medieval period (from 900 to 1450 CE), and I have greatest admiration for their discoveries, or rediscoveries (because some of them found lost writings of Greek and Roman science or engineering). It was these Muslim scientists who deserved all the credits for their achievement in science. HOWEVER, no credits go to Islam, because Islamic theology and science are unrelated, just as science and atheism are unrelated.

So that for you to say something like those quotes of yours, that atheists and agnostics take science in faith, without knowing their education and work histories in specific fields of science, then it is simply gross generalization and biased. It is petty and ignorant.

And lastly, anyone can be a skeptic, including religious people, because the skepticism is not the realm for only the atheists or agnostics...or even only the scientists. You are apparently skeptical over science. No doubt that you are skeptical with the position of atheism and other religions that you disagree with it.

But of course, skepticism is usually associated with who are "skeptical" over the supernaturals, the magical or the miracles. The distinction between you own skepticism and that of the scientist's skepticism is that scientist should deal with matters or phenomenon with no bias or with no preconception of a deity when trying to find answers in the phenomenon of the natural world. Belief in god (faith) is purely subjective, like opinions, likes & dislikes, or taste in beauty.

Scientist has to be objective (which is not easy thing to do), otherwise the data or finding (of evidences) are contaminated by his personal opinion. If they can't keep preconceived notion (like gods and miracles) or their biases out of their experiment or testings, they are poor scientists.

That's why scientists must adhere to scientific method of observations, such as repeated testings & independent testings, finding evidences (that can be tested), measuring, etc. Any scientific theory should be based on the evidences; science is not supposed to make the evidences fit neatly in the theory. If the evidences doesn't support the theory or hypothesis, then it is rejected.

When you have evidences available, then it is not taken in faith. Religion of god(s) is based solely on faith.

Science put everything under scrutiny, including those that are not falsifiable. You have to be able to distinguish what is observable/testable and what is not (unscientific).

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
You do know that there is a clear distinction between science and atheism/agnosticism, don't you?

Why do you persist on putting science and atheism/agnosticism together, when they are COMPLETELY UNRELATED. And yet, you seemed to link them together, as if ONLY atheists or agnostics support modern science. Even a lot of the religious and theists people here support science. The only one who don't, are the literal creationists.

Both atheism & agnosticism ONLY deal with the question of GOD'S EXISTENCE OR NONEXISTENCE....AND NOTHING ELSE! Neither atheism nor agnosticism is a science issue.

I have to emphasize my point with CAPITALS, to drive this point into thick skull of yours.

You should understand that atheism or agnosticism IS NOT an extension of science. And science IS NOT an extension of atheism or agnosticism. Because many of your posts seem to imply that they are the ONE AND THE SAME, when THEY REALLY ARE NOT THE SAME!

My point is that science is NOT the realm of atheism or agnosticism. Anyone - with the will and patience - can learn and understand science, or even become scientists, and that including religious and theistic people.

My own education and experiences in science has nothing to do with my agnosticism. Until 6 or 7 years ago, I didn't even know what agnosticism was. In fact, I didn't know I was agnosticism. My position in agnosticism, in no way affect my understanding in science.

And there are many religious members here (including theists) who are knowledgeable in science, with qualifications and experiences.

If a person had no understanding of (or education in) science, scientific theories or scientific method, then I would agree with you that this person is accepting science on faith. But with technology available, everywhere to be seen, our understanding now in the natural world, in biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics (as well as applied science, including computer science, astronomy and medicine) far exceeded those 100 years ago, 200, 500 or 1000 years ago, then you would have to bl@#dy stupid to not see the evidences.

There were many great Muslim scientists during the medieval period (from 900 to 1450 CE), and I have greatest admiration for their discoveries, or rediscoveries (because some of them found lost writings of Greek and Roman science or engineering). It was these Muslim scientists who deserved all the credits for their achievement in science. HOWEVER, no credits go to Islam, because Islamic theology and science are unrelated, just as science and atheism are unrelated.

So that for you to say something like those quotes of yours, that atheists and agnostics take science in faith, without knowing their education and work histories in specific fields of science, then it is simply gross generalization and biased. It is petty and ignorant.

And lastly, anyone can be a skeptic, including religious people, because the skepticism is not the realm for only the atheists or agnostics...or even only the scientists. You are apparently skeptical over science. No doubt that you are skeptical with the position of atheism and other religions that you disagree with it.

But of course, skepticism is usually associated with who are "skeptical" over the supernaturals, the magical or the miracles. The distinction between you own skepticism and that of the scientist's skepticism is that scientist should deal with matters or phenomenon with no bias or with no preconception of a deity when trying to find answers in the phenomenon of the natural world. Belief in god (faith) is purely subjective, like opinions, likes & dislikes, or taste in beauty.

Scientist has to be objective (which is not easy thing to do), otherwise the data or finding (of evidences) are contaminated by his personal opinion. If they can't keep preconceived notion (like gods and miracles) or their biases out of their experiment or testings, they are poor scientists.

That's why scientists must adhere to scientific method of observations, such as repeated testings & independent testings, finding evidences (that can be tested), measuring, etc. Any scientific theory should be based on the evidences; science is not supposed to make the evidences fit neatly in the theory. If the evidences doesn't support the theory or hypothesis, then it is rejected.

When you have evidences available, then it is not taken in faith. Religion of god(s) is based solely on faith.

Science put everything under scrutiny, including those that are not falsifiable. You have to be able to distinguish what is observable/testable and what is not (unscientific).

I don't think there are any evidences available for the non-existence of one true attributive creator God; so it is by by blind faith that the atheists deny Him.

My religion tells me that he has always existed and it is He who has created everything:

[40:63] Such is Allah, your Lord, the Creator of all things. There is no God but He. How then are you turned away?

The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong