• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is irrefutable evidence from Polonium halos that the rock layers of the Grand Canyon where all formed in a short time, the worldwide flood.

SavedByTheLord

Nope, since all the refutations of Gentry's work remain untouched by anything you've said ─ and since you can neither explain what Gentry said said, nor why it was rejected by his peers ─ your statement is simply false.
And there have been no refutations of his work.

SavedByTheLord

So if I refer you to a published refutation of this claim of Gentry's, you'll admit you're wrong?
Please post anything that you believe refutes his work.
But what has been posted so far does not and the fact is that you would not know that since you have not read his book.
Frankly you would only have to read the first 5 chapters.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Please post anything that you believe refutes his work.
That wasn't what I asked you. Your statement was that there are no such papers.

Since there are I asked you whether you'd admit you were wrong if I gave you a link to such a work.

Now you imply that you accept there are such papers. So it looks like whether you admit it or not, your earlier statement was false and you knew at the time it was false.

It's my strongly held view that accurate knowledge of reality is important. The bible describes the cosmos as it was understood in ancient Babylon. As you saw from the quotes I've now at least twice referred you to, the bible says the earth is flat, and immovably fixed, and the sun moon and stars go around it, and that the sky is a solid dome to which the stars are affixed such that if they come loose they'll fall to earth. And how fruit trees existed before the sun did, and birds existed before land animals did ... and so on.

And of course none of that is true.

So I suggest you have much to gain by starting to wonder what is actually the case out there ─ a project where you'll find modern science extremely helpful. WHY do we think the universe is 13.8 bn years old? WHY do we think the sun and earth are 4.5 bn years old? WHY do we think the earliest life on earth existed more ─ perhaps much more ─ than 3.5 bn years ago? HOW does modern taxonomy work? FROM WHAT EVIDENCE do we derive those views?

And of course how do we know there was never a Genesis flood? Nor a first human pair 'Adam' and 'Eve'? Nor a Garden of Eden? Nor special creation?

May you enjoy finding out, and getting an understanding of reality in the process!

SavedByTheLord

That wasn't what I asked you. Your statement was that there are no such papers.

Since there are I asked you whether you'd admit you were wrong if I gave you a link to such a work.

Now you imply that you accept there are such papers. So it looks like whether you admit it or not, your earlier statement was false and you knew at the time it was false.

It's my strongly held view that accurate knowledge of reality is important. The bible describes the cosmos as it was understood in ancient Babylon. As you saw from the quotes I've now at least twice referred you to, the bible says the earth is flat, and immovably fixed, and the sun moon and stars go around it, and that the sky is a solid dome to which the stars are affixed such that if they come loose they'll fall to earth. And how fruit trees existed before the sun did, and birds existed before land animals did ... and so on.

And of course none of that is true.

So I suggest you have much to gain by starting to wonder what is actually the case out there ─ a project where you'll find modern science extremely helpful. WHY do we think the universe is 13.8 bn years old? WHY do we think the sun and earth are 4.5 bn years old? WHY do we think the earliest life on earth existed more ─ perhaps much more ─ than 3.5 bn years ago? HOW does modern taxonomy work? FROM WHAT EVIDENCE do we derive those views?

And of course how do we know there was never a Genesis flood? Nor a first human pair 'Adam' and 'Eve'? Nor a Garden of Eden? Nor special creation?

May you enjoy finding out, and getting an understanding of reality in the process!
Your post lacks any science at all.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your post lacks any science at all.
Dear oh dear. I'll spell it out for you.

It was about science, not an example of science.

And it was also an example of reasoned argument.

About, for example, the falseness of your statement.

And your turning a blind eye to the totally erroneous cosmology of the bible.

And your lack of appetite to understand the world as science understands it

In short, I encouraged you there, as I encourage you here, to discover the light that science is capable of shining on the world external to the self, aka objective reality. Even if we confine ourselves to the cosmology department, it sure licks Babylon hollow ─ despite anything you may wish to think to the contrary, the world is NOT flat but an oblate sphere, just for one example. But also understand physics. Understand chemistry and biochemistry and evolution and how everything got to be what it is. Understand medicine, how we live with trillions of microorganisms, how some of them make us sick but nearly all of them don't, but keep us alive instead. Understand how the brain works, a realm of enquiry full of fascinating insights into what the brain does and how we think.

Learn to feast on facts ─ accurate statements about real states of affairs. Learn how to tell a fact from a story, from a fancy, from something wholly imaginary. (Not that the imagination is to be avoided, but rather just to be aware when and when not it's being used.)

SavedByTheLord

Dear oh dear. I'll spell it out for you.

It was about science, not an example of science.

And it was also an example of reasoned argument.

About, for example, the falseness of your statement.

And your turning a blind eye to the totally erroneous cosmology of the bible.

And your lack of appetite to understand the world as science understands it

In short, I encouraged you there, as I encourage you here, to discover the light that science is capable of shining on the world external to the self, aka objective reality. Even if we confine ourselves to the cosmology department, it sure licks Babylon hollow ─ despite anything you may wish to think to the contrary, the world is NOT flat but an oblate sphere, just for one example. But also understand physics. Understand chemistry and biochemistry and evolution and how everything got to be what it is. Understand medicine, how we live with trillions of microorganisms, how some of them make us sick but nearly all of them don't, but keep us alive instead. Understand how the brain works, a realm of enquiry full of fascinating insights into what the brain does and how we think.

Learn to feast on facts ─ accurate statements about real states of affairs. Learn how to tell a fact from a story, from a fancy, from something wholly imaginary. (Not that the imagination is to be avoided, but rather just to be aware when and when not it's being used.)
Again you might want to present actual facts.