• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theology: Useful or Useless?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Theologians, and there have been quite a few throughout history whom we know of, seem to be held in high esteem. I don't know if this is because of their position within the sphere of religious musings, or because they have something truly worthwhile to impart. Personally, I've never heard of anything.
Just so we know what we're talking about. . . .

Theology
1 :the study of religious faith, practice, and experience; especially :the study of God and of God's relation to the world
Source: Merriam-Webster​

And so there's no confusion, the difference between theology and the philosophy of religion is:

"The philosophy of religion has been distinguished from theology by pointing out that, for theology, "its critical reflections are based on religious convictions". Also, "theology is responsible to an authority that initiates its thinking, speaking, and witnessing ... [while] philosophy bases its arguments on the ground of timeless evidence."
Source: Wikipedia

My question then is, considering the nature of theology, is it of any true substantive value, or is it just a playground where people indulge themselves in assembling the blocks of their religious convictions?

If there is substantial worth to what they do, please share.

Theology is most useful when it's using real facts otherwise, just like philosophy, can become intellectual quibbling. There is a huge sense form people that they are quite the curious buffers that want to constantly know why. Why is mainly useful, is knowledge useful?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
And again, you got something wrong.

"The same language of thought
"? what the heck is that?

1 Chron 16:34 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. NIV
O give praise to the Lord, for he is good: for his mercy is unchanging for ever. BBE
Give thanks unto Jehovah, for he is good; For his loving-kindness [endureth] for ever. DARBY

Same spiritual language of the thought... just a different way of saying it.

Daddy, Pops, Father - still says the same thing.

Skwim

Veteran Member
1 Chron 16:34 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. NIV
O give praise to the Lord, for he is good: for his mercy is unchanging for ever. BBE
Give thanks unto Jehovah, for he is good; For his loving-kindness [endureth] for ever. DARBY

Same spiritual language of the thought... just a different way of saying it.

Daddy, Pops, Father - still says the same thing.
Are you simply saying that a particular thought can be expressed in different ways? Because the language can remain the same. English in this case.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Context:

As for the unchanging nature of the Bible. Since 1388 there have been at least 108 different complete English versions of the Bible, plus 34 incomplete English versions since 1826, none of which, of course, can be called the same.

As noted with my quotes... they are essensially the same, just expressed in different ways.

Are you simply saying that a particular thought can be expressed in different ways? Because the language can remain the same. English in this case.

Whether Spanish, French or any other language... the message is the same. IMV>