• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theology: Useful or Useless?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Care to share?

Emotional needs sometimes require a coping mechanism. Theology, whether taken as being true or not depending on who you ask, would be irrelevant in substance and veracity, but its effects can be profound nevertheless.

Grandliseur

Theologians, and there have been quite a few throughout history whom we know of, seem to be held in high esteem. I don't know if this is because of their position within the sphere of religious musings, or because they have something truly worthwhile to impart. Personally, I've never heard of anything.
Just so we know what we're talking about. . . .

Theology
1 :the study of religious faith, practice, and experience; especially :the study of God and of God's relation to the world
Source: Merriam-Webster​

And so there's no confusion, the difference between theology and the philosophy of religion is:

"The philosophy of religion has been distinguished from theology by pointing out that, for theology, "its critical reflections are based on religious convictions". Also, "theology is responsible to an authority that initiates its thinking, speaking, and witnessing ... [while] philosophy bases its arguments on the ground of timeless evidence."
Source: Wikipedia

My question then is, considering the nature of theology, is it of any true substantive value, or is it just a playground where people indulge themselves in assembling the blocks of their religious convictions?

If there is substantial worth to what they do, please share.

First, let's play a little game of seek and find. Do you have google earth on your computer? If you do, copy paste this sentence without the quotation marks into your search prompt on Google Earth:
"Jehovas Vidners Stævneplads, Helsinkivej, Silkeborg, Denmark". This works on my system. It nearly bowled me over when I saw the result. Adjust the picture so that N is to the left for best view. (someone else notified me of this)

Here I am not trying to find fault with any one religion. I simply want to say that much that we take for granted has hidden agendas. I once saw a building on G. E., in California I think with a swastika. (Coronado Naval Amphibious Base in San Diego ) I have also seen evidence for the 911 attack being a US hidden government attack. It was pretty convincing to me.

What I am saying is this, if I go into a Burger King it is because it has food I want to eat. If it doesn't have any food, I leave.
Religion, and God, then must serve a personal purpose - in this case salvation in Christ. If there is no purpose, a good game of chess is preferred. Naturally, getting to know the secrets of the universe is great, but science keeps changing what they think is true - today, dark matter exist, tomorrow, it doesn't, and the day after, if it falls on an uneven day, then it exists again; if it is an even day, it is obviously a toss up whether it exists or not.

If then religion can put some search-light on some of these secrets, that may be interesting.
If God exists, he must be interested in me, in us. If not, and if he doesn't answer anyone's prayers, what is the point! Except as a way of increasing knowledge by itself - there would not be much point in it. Even if God created the universe, if he had left the building, as Elvis did, then who cares; unless, there is something of value for me personally.

Here, I have to say that there is something of value, one way or the other, it pays to know.

Last edited:

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Sure there is, studying religions give people the ability to undermine religion by exposing any weakness they can find. In this way they can attempt to weaken peoples convictions so they might no longer serve God but man. Which is why you see the appearance of Universalism and the concept of a one world religion taking shape.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Theologians, and there have been quite a few throughout history whom we know of, seem to be held in high esteem. I don't know if this is because of their position within the sphere of religious musings, or because they have something truly worthwhile to impart. Personally, I've never heard of anything.

Theology
1 :the study of religious faith, practice, and experience; especially :the study of God and of God's relation to the world

And so there's no confusion, the difference between theology and the philosophy of religion is:

"The philosophy of religion has been distinguished from theology by pointing out that, for theology, "its critical reflections are based on religious convictions". Also, "theology is responsible to an authority that initiates its thinking, speaking, and witnessing ... [while] philosophy bases its arguments on the ground of timeless evidence."

My question then is, considering the nature of theology, is it of any true substantive value, or is it just a playground where people indulge themselves in assembling the blocks of their religious convictions?

Theology as defined above, "the study of God and of God's relation to the world," can only be meaningful if there is a god and there is enough known about it to study it.

This is distinct from the comparative study of religions, the history of the Bible, the Bible as literature, and assorted other non-theological issues, none of which assume the existence of a god or are dependent on there being one.

Anything can be studied, but not necessarily profitably. An exhaustive study of the Pokemon characters or the Smurfs would be pretty useless. I place the study of gods and angels, for example, in the same category.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

Theology

This all starts with religion.

At an early age, children are indoctrinated and believe things for no rational reason. As they grow older, the formal operations centers of their brains start to develop, and they invariably come into a state of cognitive dissonance.

The goal of Theology, and any kind of religious apologetics, is to ease that dissonance by pretending that their faith was actually rational all along. It allows smart people to keep believing in things that don't make sense, through the illusion of reason.

It's a carefully constructed ivory tower that few people in the faith bother to understand, and fewer bother to practice. But the average religious yokel gets to point up there to the top of the tower, comprised of "reasonable people," and go "See. . . them smart folks says we gots us some good reasons to believe. If them eggheads say god's real, then ya'll atheists can stick it. Praise Jesus! Haw haw!"

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Of course the Encyclopedia Britannica has changed. It goes to the very nature of the book, which makes your comparison quite odd.

As for the unchanging nature of the Bible. Since 1388 there have been at least 108 different complete English versions of the Bible, plus 34 incomplete English versions since 1826, none of which, of course, can be called the same.

You findally got somethiing right.... and hundreds of languages too. All giving the same language of thought.

Nope. I was talking about theology, a study, not theological faith. Whatever that consists of.

OK :D they can be the same.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Theology as defined above, "the study of God and of God's relation to the world," can only be meaningful if there is a god and there is enough known about it to study it.

This is distinct from the comparative study of religions, the history of the Bible, the Bible as literature, and assorted other non-theological issues, none of which assume the existence of a god or are dependent on there being one.

Anything can be studied, but not necessarily profitably. An exhaustive study of the Pokemon characters or the Smurfs would be pretty useless. I place the study of gods and angels, for example, in the same category.
Exactly this.

If theology has any worth, it is certainly not evident to me, at the very least.

Skwim

Veteran Member
You findally got somethiing right.... and hundreds of languages too. All giving the same language of thought.
And again, you got something wrong.

"The same language of thought
"? what the heck is that?

OK :D they can be the same.
facepalm.gif
No matter how much you might pray it to be so, no they can't.

David T

Premium Member

Theology

Philosophy of religion is infinitely more self deluded than theology. It is a fantasy inside a fantasy inside a fantasy pretending to be "magically objective" theologians by and large are not that self deluding. Philosophy of religion is junk junk science.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Philosophy of religion is infinitely more self deluded than theology. It is a fantasy inside a fantasy inside a fantasy pretending to be "magically objective" theologians by and large are not that self deluding. Philosophy of religion is junk junk science.
Thank you for your input.

pearl

Interestingly enough, the Bible has been the same for almost 2,000 years but the Encyclopedia Britannica has changed in one century.

But thanks to theology in no small way, understanding of the Bible has changed. As we now believe that the Bible was not dictated by God's word, but the word is human and the biblical authors were theologians in their own right.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
But thanks to theology in no small way, understanding of the Bible has changed. As we now believe that the Bible was not dictated by God's word, but the word is human and the biblical authors were theologians in their own right.
That certainly is one position.

There are many of great intelligence that think otherwise.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
theology sounds like an important, intellectual study, but it's all fantasy, and wishful thinking.

for people that love God, they are captivated by the fantasy. they indulge in a self created reality that gives them a spiritual high.

all things are possible with God is simply ignoring reality.

#1 Theology is not the same as religion.

#2 How can it be useful in helping people get rich? All those that I'm aware of who've gotten rich off of religion have done so by psychologically manipulating the sheep. Scaring them into buying their way into heaven.

The con artists used their knowledge of religion (theology) to manipulate the sheep. In my experience non believers tend to have more knowledge and understanding of religions then the believers do.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Normally I'd respond to a topic like this with something insightful and substantive, but I'll think I'll pass until someone else creates a thread on this particular topic. Instead I'll simply say this: the question is obviously rhetorical, as assessment of value is always a subjective affair. Theology, like anything else in this world, has value to the people who practice it and enjoy it... and lacks any such value to those who do not.

If someone wants to stick a thread in a non-debate area like Comparative Religion about how each of us has found theology useful in our lives, tag me on it! :D
(If I wasn't so busy lately I'd consider making that thread myself)

I think that theology is useful when/if people choose to believe in God. Otherwise, it's useless.

A theology should ground thinking about God in the reality of human experience. Theology is what keeps people from divorcing belief in God from philosophy, science, and ethics.

David T

Premium Member
Usefulness dis

Theology

Ha!!!!
Inane, even by your standards.

It's almost as if the single biggest influence on historical Western thought could be expected to have a significant and substantive impact on Western thought...

thinking-face_1f914.png
I might not fancy it but indeed your statement is absolute fact. I usually reply" how southern baptist of ya." when I read detached from reality of history statements.