• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists: Why Worship God?

Clara Tea

Please allow me to double back.:)
I do find that human to human relationships can be complicated and they can be either kind or unkind, and THAT makes all the difference. I have learned to recognize unkind people and minimize my contact with them when possible, and gravitate towards kind people when they come around. Kindness make ALL the difference especially when one is going through a difficult time. I try to be kind to everyone, as that is a very important Baha'i teaching. If I cannot be kind owing to my own sordid state of mind, I keep to myself so I will not hurt anyone.

1: O SON OF SPIRIT!
My first counsel is this: Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart, that thine may be a sovereignty ancient, imperishable and everlasting.

The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 3

I am very open-minded, which is why I sometimes why I disagree with Baha'is and question the way they interpret the Baha'i Writings. ;)

I do not think it has to be "two beliefs against each other." I am sure, and I have even heard, other Baha'is say they had conversations with God, and the fact that you believe in 'gods' is no reason to say your experience was invalid. People understand God(s)in many different ways.

I would never question you if you say you have had conversations with gods, because I am not YOU so I do not know what YOU experienced. I consider questioning another person's experiences just because of how "I" interpret some scriptures to be egotistical.

I will also say this: At the end of the day, people can always let us down, but I believe that God will never let us down. What form that takes varies. It might be some assistance from God through other people or it might just be knowing that whatever happens is God's will and is for the best.

You might wonder why I am saying this given some not-so-nice things I sometimes say about God, but as my bff @Truthseeker knows only too well :rolleyes:, I am a very complicated person so things are not always black and white for me as with many believers -- I question everything!. It would sure be easier to just "believe" unquestionably like many Baha'is and Christians do, but that is not how my mind works.

There is no point in discussing another person's opinion if it is the same opinion as yours.

Not even twins are identical. Our memories make different paths through our brains, so our experiences are slightly different. As a result, our thinking is slightly different. Some get angry at the differences. Others try to understand, while still others try to bend others to their wills.

Dogknox20

So we should worship God just because God us Greater than we are?
God could be Greater than us but that does not necessarily mean God is worthy of worship.
Why do you think that God is worthy of worship, without quoting scriptures?
Trailblazer Worship is for God!

We should worship God because: God is Greater than we are! How do I know? Simple answer is; Because he created us!

God saved us from death! God became Man so he could die as a Man! CAN'T....

Trailblazer
can't die as a Man unless you are born as a man! God became man; the Creator became part of his own creation! Jesus is the Man/God! The First Man was created PERFECT. This PERFECT man (Adam) sinned, he corrupted God' PERFECT creation by bringing death into it! Jesus is the Second PERFECT man to be born! Jesus died on a Cross BUT....

Trailblazer but because he was "Sinless" death could Not hold him, sin brings death; Jesus was sinless! The Anti-Christ is Anti-Christian! The Anti-Christ is NOT Anti-Baha'i and NOT Anti-Hindu! The Anti-Christ is Anti-Christian because Christians have the truth they worship God! They Worship the Creator!
Christians worship Jesus!

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I thought we are in God's presence...
No, we are only in God's presence in a certain sense, in our hearts and minds, figuratively speaking. If we were actually in God's presence we would fall flat on our face, since nobody could ever bear to look upon God and live.

Exodus 33:20
And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.

Of course, God does not have a face since only humans have faces, so this verse is meant figuratively.

The Baha'i scriptures say something similar to the Bible, that if God 'showed up' on earth in all His glory, everything on earth would be annihilated. That is why God sends Messengers who are both human and divine, to act as intermediaries between God and humans.

“Were the Eternal Essence to manifest all that is latent within Him, were He to shine in the plentitude of His glory, none would be found to question His power or repudiate His truth. Nay, all created things would be so dazzled and thunderstruck by the evidences of His light as to be reduced to utter nothingness.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 71-72

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God's light is a pleasure higher then all pleasures, but we can't directly contact God, but his light extends to all things, and so seeing his greatest light (Mohammad (s) and his family (a)) is greatest pleasure in this world and the next.

God decided knowing he is the truth by which all things are created and get their reality from, to make himself known, yet kept himself hidden to a degree, and his sign is both hidden and manifest, his light clear and yet subtle, that every soul that strives for God, will see him, and every soul, that strives for petty animal desire type world where they seek the energy of Satan for pleasures, ignoring justice, plight of oppressed and connecting to God and ignore the hungry and starving, will go towards his wrath.

He created limited time on earth, with infinite value, because of the infinite forever nature of reward or punishment. Thus our deeds have infinite value, and so who runs away from God will be amplified punishment and who runs towards God will be amplified reward, and there is no end to this amplification either way.

It's a matter of choice, a choice of infinite effect. God wants to know who is best in deeds and so created death and life.

Simply, we have a choice, but with knowledge and wisdom, the choice is accepting we have no choice but to run towards God and not away.

Psalm23

And "because it is written" will not suffice :D

I'd like to hear intelligent and well thought-out answers, not quotes from any holy book

Basically: Why do you think it is written? And why do you personally worship him?

I think that when most people say "worship" they actually mean "grovelling"...

However, according to my dictionary the word "worship" actually comes from the Old English "weorthscipe" which means an act of acknowledging something's worth

It has nothing to do with grovelling

I would refuse to grovel before anyone or anything

I would refuse to bow to the Queen and at least I can be 100% sure she exits

And if God appeared to me and demanded that I bow down and prostrate myself before him I would outright refuse

That would be beneath me

I think it is beneath any human to bow down to anyone or anything

But I would readily acknowledge his worth were he to ask me to, although that would sound a little insecure and needy especially coming from someone who is supposedly a Supreme Being.

I would happily tell him "hey God, I think your'e great, keep up the good work" if I thought that would make him happy and boost his self-esteem and (if he definitely existed and I actually liked him) I would genuinely mean that

But anyway, enough from me

I worship God because I love him and delight in worshipping God . I worship God because of what Jesus did for me on the cross because he loved me first. I worship God and Jesus because of my faith in him.

Pudding

And "because it is written" will not suffice :D

I'd like to hear intelligent and well thought-out answers, not quotes from any holy book

Basically: Why do you think it is written? And why do you personally worship him?

I think that when most people say "worship" they actually mean "grovelling"...

However, according to my dictionary the word "worship" actually comes from the Old English "weorthscipe" which means an act of acknowledging something's worth

It has nothing to do with grovelling

I would refuse to grovel before anyone or anything

I would refuse to bow to the Queen and at least I can be 100% sure she exits

And if God appeared to me and demanded that I bow down and prostrate myself before him I would outright refuse

That would be beneath me

I think it is beneath any human to bow down to anyone or anything

But I would readily acknowledge his worth were he to ask me to, although that would sound a little insecure and needy especially coming from someone who is supposedly a Supreme Being.

I would happily tell him "hey God, I think your'e great, keep up the good work" if I thought that would make him happy and boost his self-esteem and (if he definitely existed and I actually liked him) I would genuinely mean that

But anyway, enough from me

For some theists, they worship God, because in some periods in some places/countries some thugs violently force people to worship God, follow-up with generations of generations of indoctrinating people to worship God, the activity to worship God becomes a tradition. That's why some theists worship God.

If instead those thugs force people to worship Unicorn follow-up with generations of generations of indoctrinating, then those theists probably will worship Unicorn instead of worship God.

Pudding

What is worship?

What are the most popular conceptions of what constitutes worship and what does not?
Definition of worship: [verb] show reverence and adoration for (a deity); take part in a religious ceremony; feel great admiration or devotion for.

To some religions, to worship God would require a person to join the respective religion, donate/give money to the respective religion's representative, obey whatever the respective religion says whatever some books say whatever a God says whatever a person must obey, and sing song to praise the God.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Definition of worship: [verb] show reverence and adoration for (a deity); take part in a religious ceremony; feel great admiration or devotion for.

To some religions, to worship God would require a person to join the respective religion, donate/give money to the respective religion's representative, obey whatever the respective religion says whatever some books say whatever a God says whatever a person must obey, and sing song to praise the God.
A bit of a circular definition IMO.

Pudding

For some theists, they worship God, because in some periods in some places/countries some thugs violently force people to worship God, follow-up with generations of generations of indoctrinating people to worship God, the activity to worship God becomes a tradition. That's why some theists worship God.

If instead those thugs force people to worship Unicorn follow-up with generations of generations of indoctrinating, then those theists probably will worship Unicorn instead of worship God.
And come to think of it, if those thugs force people to worship Unicorn follow-up with generations of generations of indoctrinating, what will this world be looks like?

Oh my Unicorn!
In Unicorn We Trust.
Unicorn is our father, we're Unicorn's children,
Unicorn loves you.
Unicorn of the gaps.
We are created in the image of Unicorn.:oops:
Pascal's wager... wager on Unicorn.
There are no aunicornists in foxholes.
Aunicornists are not permit to give testimony in court.

It'll be too hilarious to hear people swearing an oath "to Unicorn" in court.
We live in a crazy world!

Last edited:

Dogknox20

There's a difference between God being omni present and God revealing his presence. We could not stand in his presence. Moses had to barely glimpse his back because to look on him would mean death.
Genesis 32:30
So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, “It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.

Exodus 33:11
The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his young aide Joshua son of Nun did not leave the tent.

Numbers 12:8
With him I speak face to face, clearly and not in riddles; he sees the form of the Lord. Why then were you not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Genesis 32:30
So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, “It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.

Exodus 33:11
The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his young aide Joshua son of Nun did not leave the tent.

With him I speak face to face, clearly and not in riddles; he sees the form of the Lord. Why then were you not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?
I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. . . . But . . . you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live” (Exodus 33:19–20).

So, when Moses spoke “face to face” with God in Exodus 33:11, either Moses was speaking to the pre-incarnate Son of God; or the passage is using a figure of speech.
The terms face, hand, and back in Exodus 33 should not be taken literally, and face to face, being idiomatic, is also metaphorical.

Dogknox20

I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. . . . But . . . you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live” (Exodus 33:19–20).

So, when Moses spoke “face to face” with God in Exodus 33:11, either Moses was speaking to the pre-incarnate Son of God; or the passage is using a figure of speech.
The terms face, hand, and back in Exodus 33 should not be taken literally, and face to face, being idiomatic, is also metaphorical.

Dogknox20

God's light is a pleasure higher then all pleasures, but we can't directly contact God, but his light extends to all things, and so seeing his greatest light (Mohammad (s) and his family (a)) is greatest pleasure in this world and the next.

God decided knowing he is the truth by which all things are created and get their reality from, to make himself known, yet kept himself hidden to a degree, and his sign is both hidden and manifest, his light clear and yet subtle, that every soul that strives for God, will see him, and every soul, that strives for petty animal desire type world where they seek the energy of Satan for pleasures, ignoring justice, plight of oppressed and connecting to God and ignore the hungry and starving, will go towards his wrath.

He created limited time on earth, with infinite value, because of the infinite forever nature of reward or punishment. Thus our deeds have infinite value, and so who runs away from God will be amplified punishment and who runs towards God will be amplified reward, and there is no end to this amplification either way.

It's a matter of choice, a choice of infinite effect. God wants to know who is best in deeds and so created death and life.

Simply, we have a choice, but with knowledge and wisdom, the choice is accepting we have no choice but to run towards God and not away.

Link the scriptures tell us.. Jesus created all things! The Scriptures tell us... Jesus is God!

John 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.
&
18 No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.

Christians are Christ Followers!
Christians believe Jesus is God!

Link The Anti-Christ is Anti-Christian! The Anti-Christ is NOT Anti-Mohammad NOT Anti-Buda NOT Anti-Hindu... etc He is Anti-Christian because Christians have the truth!
The Anti-Christ would NEVER EVER allow a Cross on any of his buildings because; it was by the CROSS that Jesus destroyed death and restored life!

All immersed (Baptized) into the body of the risen Jesus will also rise.... NO ONE....

Link
no one can die two times Jesus died on the cross never ever to die again! All added to Jesus will never die he cannot die again! The wages of Sin is death Jesus was sinless death could not hold Jesus in the grave!