• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists: Response to Epicurus famous argument.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
I don't. I'm a huge fan of Epicurus.

As I said: You reap what you sow. The conclusions you reap depend on the definition you sow.

OK. I think that one could say that Epicurus' argument is fully consistent with that, as it is aimed at a fairly specific definition of God--one that encompasses the so-called "omnimax" Abrahamic God.

Snowber

I'd like to join in this discussion if it's ok..

Take a look at this article if you have the time (to get an idea of where I am coming from here):

Why Were We Created?

First of all, knowing we are human and very primitive in the big scheme of things, how can we begin to understand that which is so very beyond us? We resort to our humanly reasoning and logic, which is inherently flawed.

I'm not saying we should give up on figuring out anything altogether. What I am trying to say is that just because we may not have an answer that satisfies "US" does not mean there is not an answer. There are people who've been through MUCH worse situations than any of us could dream of and they came out stronger than we are and they still believe in GOD, and for some, it only strengthened their faith.

Now according to the article mentioned above, we chose to be in this world. Had we not been created with free will we would have been robots. Free will is in itself an equation humanity may never figure out. Have you ever stopped to sincerely think about what free will is? That we can look at the fridge and decide to open it or leave it closed?

GOD (as far as my knowledge of Scripture is concerned) never said He was All-Loving to everyone. We know that certain people do not deserve "Love". In the case of innocent women/children/people suffering, if they get to go to an eternal Paradise for having lived in this world less than 100 years, lets say, would it be worth it?

This is an interesting discussion, thanks.

Last edited: