• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists, if a charlatan existed...

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Not quite. While abiogenesis and more specifically the RNA hypothesis, is geting more and more solid as a theory for the apparition of life with a latest experiment yielding impressive results, it's not the only possible explanation. Panspermia, the idea that life would have emerged on another planet and ''crash landed'' on Earth while frozen in comet's ice is also a possibility. In that case of course, it simply ''moves'' the problem of the emergence of life to another theatre than Earth, but it's still a valid, if marginal, theory for the apparition of life on Earth. On the other hand, spontaneous generation of life has yet to be observed, let alone its process explained, thus is a ''not even wrong'' type of explanation.

Repeating, you have a problem of infinite regression with panspermia. Were the aliens themselves panspermia, abiogenesis'ed or Created?

"We don't know the alien world's climate, vulcanism and melting pot of chemicals" sounds like a just-so story to me. Sorry.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Yep. Disagree. There are infinitely many possibilities that are just as fanciful as your "God" explanation that shouldn't be ruled out if we aren't going to rule out "God." How about these:
  1. A machine that, given infinite time, was built just by chance molecules and parts all coming together in just the right form, was turned on when an asteroid accidentally bumped its "power" button. This machine is/was capable of producing entire planets with life already instantiated upon their surfaces. This I would term "unintelligent design."
  2. If we're talking about the Earth specifically then how about: An alien race that was already established accidentally by genie magic (yes, genies are real - but to be clear, they are NOT intelligent! They actually have no brains or thoughts, and magic just sort of "happens" around them) came to the earth and one of their kind took a dump in a pool of Earth water. That alien's intestinal evacuations provided the first bacteria that served as the first life forms on Earth.
  3. Or: Lightning, while not intelligent, is actually concentrated "life." It is consciousness and the spark of life in concentrated form. All it actually takes is for lightning to strike just the right combination of materials within a solution of water and other key compounds for some of the long-chain molecules to come "to life." That this happens is just an innate fact of the universe - no intelligence was involved, and it is argued that lightning being concentrated "spark of life" it is actually "biological" - and so this is not an "abiogenesis." Once this all happens, organisms begin to grow and reproduce. We've just never been in just the right place at just the right time, and besides that, with what we've done to the environment these "perfect conditions" just aren't present on Earth anymore.
I mean seriously - you want to claim "magic" from an "intelligent" source is the ONLY other alternative to "abiogenesis?" The only thing you can genuinely say is that life either arose from intelligent sources or it didn't. That is the only "true" statement you can make. You can't make a valid dichotomy out of "life either arose from non-life or an intelligent agent created it." That is not necessarily true. And I can make up as many examples as you want of other fictions for which I have zero compelling empirical evidence (i.e. the SAME type of evidence you have for your claims that "God did it" - hearsay) that explain the origins of life in the universe.

I haven't ever claimed that per se, although you have three lovely "just so" stories there, because when the hypothesis is unproven, we must push a just so story!

You have problems of infinite regression with all three:

1) Who made the asteroid from "nothing"?

2) Who made the alien race from "nothing"?

3) Who made the Earth from "nothing"?

Why is "nothing plus nothing equal everything" your go-to just so story? Why is that "wonderful science"?

A Vestigial Mote

I haven't ever claimed that per se
Yes you did. Here it is:
BilliardsBall said:
If we restate "bashing abiogenesis" to "abogenesis shown to be not possible" than the alternative can only be intelligent design.
That is most certainly you framing it up as a dichotomy. You OBVIOUSLY are stuck in the mindset that it is either one or the other possibility and that no other possibilities exist. You even tried to get me to agree with your sloppy thinking!

although you have three lovely "just so" stories there, because when the hypothesis is unproven, we must push a just so story!
We "must?" What crap is this? Ever try the honest response: "I don't know?" Ever try that? No? Why not? Is it possible for you to just "not know?" Yes... yes it is. So fess up to it. Don't just make things up to suit your tastes or ease your mind. That's the coward's way out.

You have problems of infinite regression with all three:
No I don't.

1) Who made the asteroid from "nothing"?
First off, it was a "MACHINE." Try reading next time rather than just skimming through because your mind is stuck wanting to make your next point. Second of all NO ONE MADE IT. Again... GO BACK AND READ. I said it came together through just the right random collisions of matter out in space... nothing but the base-level goings-on of the universe.

You are just SO STUCK in this "someone did it" frame of mind. In that prospective scenario, NO AGENT OF ANY KIND WAS INVOLVED. Did you catch that? Again... go back and read it if you don't believe me. No infinite regression necessary. The matter of the universe is and always has been, and the machine was assembled by chance. Done.

2) Who made the alien race from "nothing"?
The unconscious genies, of course! Via "magic" that, AGAIN, just happens around them.

3) Who made the Earth from "nothing"?
Why do you assume there was ever a time when there was nothing? In all 3 scenarios, the material of the universe existed without a beginning. Isn't is "just fine" to assume as much? I mean... you do so for your "God", don't you? Since it is fine for you, you have to allow it for me in my hypotheses. You really have no choice.

Why is "nothing plus nothing equal everything" your go-to just so story? Why is that "wonderful science"?
Why are you so stuck on a "beginning?" You have no idea if there even was such a thing. Nor do I. hence the reason "I don't know" is the only honest response. Hence the reason I believe you to be a very dishonest person.

epronovost

Repeating, you have a problem of infinite regression with panspermia. Were the aliens themselves panspermia, abiogenesis'ed or Created?

You also have a problem of infinite regression with magical creation with the question of how come the creator came to be (usually it was always there) which is doubly more problematic if the creator is considered "living". To get out of it one must use special pleading making it the supreme "just so" explanation.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Yes you did. Here it is:
That is most certainly you framing it up as a dichotomy. You OBVIOUSLY are stuck in the mindset that it is either one or the other possibility and that no other possibilities exist. You even tried to get me to agree with your sloppy thinking!

We "must?" What crap is this? Ever try the honest response: "I don't know?" Ever try that? No? Why not? Is it possible for you to just "not know?" Yes... yes it is. So fess up to it. Don't just make things up to suit your tastes or ease your mind. That's the coward's way out.

No I don't.

First off, it was a "MACHINE." Try reading next time rather than just skimming through because your mind is stuck wanting to make your next point. Second of all NO ONE MADE IT. Again... GO BACK AND READ. I said it came together through just the right random collisions of matter out in space... nothing but the base-level goings-on of the universe.

You are just SO STUCK in this "someone did it" frame of mind. In that prospective scenario, NO AGENT OF ANY KIND WAS INVOLVED. Did you catch that? Again... go back and read it if you don't believe me. No infinite regression necessary. The matter of the universe is and always has been, and the machine was assembled by chance. Done.

The unconscious genies, of course! Via "magic" that, AGAIN, just happens around them.

Why do you assume there was ever a time when there was nothing? In all 3 scenarios, the material of the universe existed without a beginning. Isn't is "just fine" to assume as much? I mean... you do so for your "God", don't you? Since it is fine for you, you have to allow it for me in my hypotheses. You really have no choice.

Why are you so stuck on a "beginning?" You have no idea if there even was such a thing. Nor do I. hence the reason "I don't know" is the only honest response. Hence the reason I believe you to be a very dishonest person.

Of course it's a dichotomy! My point was you were not filling in the lines to get to the correct conclusion. Space seed has the problem of infinite regression.

I am "stuck" on a "beginning" because I don't subscribe to cosmology where nothing plus nothing equals everything. I'm "stuck" on the beginning because it is in the first sentence of the Holy Bible, In the Beginning, GOD...

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
You also have a problem of infinite regression with magical creation with the question of how come the creator came to be (usually it was always there) which is doubly more problematic if the creator is considered "living". To get out of it one must use special pleading making it the supreme "just so" explanation.

Why is that a problem? Space seed is "superior/faster evolved beings created". Illogical.

A Vestigial Mote

Of course it's a dichotomy! My point was you were not filling in the lines to get to the correct conclusion. Space seed has the problem of infinite regression.
NO! No, no, no, no, no. Not a dichotomy and I PROVED this to you with my idea of the "life creating machine" that came together through just the right random collisions of matter in outer-space WITHOUT an intelligence or consciousness needing to have preceded it for its crafting. It was crafted accidentally by "the universe." In that scenario, I also said that the matter of the universe has simply always existed. Within this scenario, there is no "infinite regression" at all. Matter of the universe always existed, laws governing matter and energy always existed, and given infinite time, this life-creating machine was accidentally assembled by just the right collisions of matter. Done. There is no need to go back further, and keep going back looking for a "source." There is no such thing in that scenario. Nothing created the universe - it was always here. There was never "nothing" and no intelligent/conscious hand was present in anything. No infinite regression. Are you understanding me here? Do you need me to keep going? I feel like you do, because this is the 2nd or 3rd time you insisted that I had some "infinite regression" problem with each of my hypotheses, and it is simply NOT TRUE. Just use your brain and think. You don't have a dichotomy. You never will when you posit two disparate things like "Intelligence was required" and "Matter came together of its own accord due to the action and interaction of materials of the universe." There is no dichotomy there. If you want, I could very likely come up with other scenarios that do not have infinite regression issues, and involve no intelligence necessary.

I am "stuck" on a "beginning" because I don't subscribe to cosmology where nothing plus nothing equals everything. I'm "stuck" on the beginning because it is in the first sentence of the Holy Bible, In the Beginning, GOD...
What if THERE WAS NEVER "NOTHING?" Can you even wrap your head around that possibility? If you say no, then you have a problem. Precisely because I am about 99.9% confident you would claim that God has "always existed", which BY DEFINITION means there was never "nothing." This is what we call a trap of your own making.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
NO! No, no, no, no, no. Not a dichotomy and I PROVED this to you with my idea of the "life creating machine" that came together through just the right random collisions of matter in outer-space WITHOUT an intelligence or consciousness needing to have preceded it for its crafting. It was crafted accidentally by "the universe." In that scenario, I also said that the matter of the universe has simply always existed. Within this scenario, there is no "infinite regression" at all. Matter of the universe always existed, laws governing matter and energy always existed, and given infinite time, this life-creating machine was accidentally assembled by just the right collisions of matter. Done. There is no need to go back further, and keep going back looking for a "source." There is no such thing in that scenario. Nothing created the universe - it was always here. There was never "nothing" and no intelligent/conscious hand was present in anything. No infinite regression. Are you understanding me here? Do you need me to keep going? I feel like you do, because this is the 2nd or 3rd time you insisted that I had some "infinite regression" problem with each of my hypotheses, and it is simply NOT TRUE. Just use your brain and think. You don't have a dichotomy. You never will when you posit two disparate things like "Intelligence was required" and "Matter came together of its own accord due to the action and interaction of materials of the universe." There is no dichotomy there. If you want, I could very likely come up with other scenarios that do not have infinite regression issues, and involve no intelligence necessary.

What if THERE WAS NEVER "NOTHING?" Can you even wrap your head around that possibility? If you say no, then you have a problem. Precisely because I am about 99.9% confident you would claim that God has "always existed", which BY DEFINITION means there was never "nothing." This is what we call a trap of your own making.

The "life-creating machine" is one end of the God or not God dichotomy.

I can wrap my head around the universe always being in existence, but the Conservation of Matter/Energy and all we know regarding gravity and entropy speak against that or any circular universe.

A Vestigial Mote

The "life-creating machine" is one end of the God or not God dichotomy.
You still don't get it. Earlier you made a dichotomy out of "Abiogenesis" and "Design from intelligence." This is something you are NOT qualified to do. "God" versus "Not God" is as axiomatic a dichotomy as you can get. I can completely agree with the juxtaposition of statements that either God had a hand in the creation of the life, or He didn't. That is pure, unadulterated logic. It appears to me that you simply do not understand how much you have muddied the waters and made an ignoramus of yourself when you posed that either abiogenesis is true or some intelligence had to have had a hand in creating life.

I can wrap my head around the universe always being in existence, but the Conservation of Matter/Energy and all we know regarding gravity and entropy speak against that or any circular universe.
I believe that the universe gets recycled, after a fashion. That, given infinite time and the constant effects of gravity, some large portion of the matter of the universe coalesces, and that there is some "breaking point" at which that mass of matter is forced to explode out again. This belief is based on the cyclical nature of nearly everything we witness in the universe, the fact that gravity is always in play, and the evidence of "The Big Bang" paired with the findings that show not all matter of the universe seems to necessarily conform to the (in my belief - most recent) "Big Bang." However - I recognize this idea as mere belief, and I understand and readily admit that I have little in the way of circumstantial/tangential evidence to bring to the table. The belief does not alter my life, nor compel me to do so in any meaningful way, and this belief will EASILY be discarded in the event that more evidence is brought to my attention that contradicts or proves it wrong.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
You still don't get it. Earlier you made a dichotomy out of "Abiogenesis" and "Design from intelligence." This is something you are NOT qualified to do. "God" versus "Not God" is as axiomatic a dichotomy as you can get. I can completely agree with the juxtaposition of statements that either God had a hand in the creation of the life, or He didn't. That is pure, unadulterated logic. It appears to me that you simply do not understand how much you have muddied the waters and made an ignoramus of yourself when you posed that either abiogenesis is true or some intelligence had to have had a hand in creating life.

I believe that the universe gets recycled, after a fashion. That, given infinite time and the constant effects of gravity, some large portion of the matter of the universe coalesces, and that there is some "breaking point" at which that mass of matter is forced to explode out again. This belief is based on the cyclical nature of nearly everything we witness in the universe, the fact that gravity is always in play, and the evidence of "The Big Bang" paired with the findings that show not all matter of the universe seems to necessarily conform to the (in my belief - most recent) "Big Bang." However - I recognize this idea as mere belief, and I understand and readily admit that I have little in the way of circumstantial/tangential evidence to bring to the table. The belief does not alter my life, nor compel me to do so in any meaningful way, and this belief will EASILY be discarded in the event that more evidence is brought to my attention that contradicts or proves it wrong.

I do get it. We have multiple dichotomies, one is design from intelligence or design not from intelligence, but don't pretend that many abiogenesis proponents are some kind of deist, especially since whatever goddidit would have made the universe that was capable of "abiogenesis"!

The real issue, of course, is that DNA/RNA in every way is a language, and no language that given instruction and direction has ever arisen without intelligence.

I also understand your "recycling universe", but almost zero percent of cosmologists believe in an oscillating or steady state universe due to entropy and etc. Now who's being unscientific? Now who is giving philosophy in place of science and natural law?

A Vestigial Mote

I do get it. We have multiple dichotomies, one is design from intelligence or design not from intelligence, but don't pretend that many abiogenesis proponents are some kind of deist, especially since whatever goddidit would have made the universe that was capable of "abiogenesis"!
Okay, let's try this again then. The "abiogenesis" is actually a product of "universe juice." Universe juice is a complex substance that isn't alive or conscious, but has immense power and given two plausibilities, the "universe juice" will make a sort of "choice" between them, seemingly at random. Universe juice has been encountering matter, making these "choices" all throughout the 13+ billion years of our universe's apparent life-span. In these choices were the "decisions" required to get us to the point of life. There. There is an "abiogenesis" that doesn't involve "God" and isn't just about chemicals coming together by themselves. What now genius? And the ultimate point I am trying to make is, until we get to the point that we are investigating things as such a high level of understanding - WE DON'T UNDERSTAND. We don't know. YOU don't know. So stop saying you do, and stop throwing around false dichotomies, or posing them to people as if you have any idea what you're talking about. You don't, and you have an extremely poor imagination on top of that from the looks of things.

The real issue, of course, is that DNA/RNA in every way is a language, and no language that given instruction and direction has ever arisen without intelligence.
This is ridiculous. We see in nature atoms and compounds acting and reacting with one another literally all the time. Are you going to tell me that every single chemical reaction is language and code being played out, and that there is intelligence behind it all? Two Hydrogen atoms and an Oxygen atom come together and now we have a molecule of water. Is the presence of those particular elements in that configuration some building block of "language?" Don't you have to admit that DNA is just more complex and longer strands of elements chained together as molecules? If you're being intellectually honest you do have to do precisely that.

I also understand your "recycling universe", but almost zero percent of cosmologists believe in an oscillating or steady state universe due to entropy and etc. Now who's being unscientific? Now who is giving philosophy in place of science and natural law?
Here are a couple of points that will let you know exactly why I don't care:
  1. I admit it is no more than belief, but it does have its proponents in the science realm. Look up "ekpyrotic universe." I have never seen any article claiming that it has been disproven or that the interpretation of cosmic radiation scanning and imaging has produced evidence against the hypothesis/theory.
  2. As stated before - this belief doesn't affect my life or livelihood.
  3. I have no real "loyalty" to the belief. If it IS ultimately disproven someday, so be it. Why would I care? I want to be the most correct I can be based on evidence presented in reality... not make things up and pretend I know what I am talking about. Given the state of the evidence and my own observations of the universe, this is the conclusion I currently hold to. I can't stress enough that there are ZERO impacts on my life to hold this position, and the reality is, I wouldn't even need to be thinking about this stuff at all to effectively live my life - so that should give you a hint as to how important it is to me.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Okay, let's try this again then. The "abiogenesis" is actually a product of "universe juice." Universe juice is a complex substance that isn't alive or conscious, but has immense power and given two plausibilities, the "universe juice" will make a sort of "choice" between them, seemingly at random. Universe juice has been encountering matter, making these "choices" all throughout the 13+ billion years of our universe's apparent life-span. In these choices were the "decisions" required to get us to the point of life. There. There is an "abiogenesis" that doesn't involve "God" and isn't just about chemicals coming together by themselves. What now genius? And the ultimate point I am trying to make is, until we get to the point that we are investigating things as such a high level of understanding - WE DON'T UNDERSTAND. We don't know. YOU don't know. So stop saying you do, and stop throwing around false dichotomies, or posing them to people as if you have any idea what you're talking about. You don't, and you have an extremely poor imagination on top of that from the looks of things.

This is ridiculous. We see in nature atoms and compounds acting and reacting with one another literally all the time. Are you going to tell me that every single chemical reaction is language and code being played out, and that there is intelligence behind it all? Two Hydrogen atoms and an Oxygen atom come together and now we have a molecule of water. Is the presence of those particular elements in that configuration some building block of "language?" Don't you have to admit that DNA is just more complex and longer strands of elements chained together as molecules? If you're being intellectually honest you do have to do precisely that.

Here are a couple of points that will let you know exactly why I don't care:
  1. I admit it is no more than belief, but it does have its proponents in the science realm. Look up "ekpyrotic universe." I have never seen any article claiming that it has been disproven or that the interpretation of cosmic radiation scanning and imaging has produced evidence against the hypothesis/theory.
  2. As stated before - this belief doesn't affect my life or livelihood.
  3. I have no real "loyalty" to the belief. If it IS ultimately disproven someday, so be it. Why would I care? I want to be the most correct I can be based on evidence presented in reality... not make things up and pretend I know what I am talking about. Given the state of the evidence and my own observations of the universe, this is the conclusion I currently hold to. I can't stress enough that there are ZERO impacts on my life to hold this position, and the reality is, I wouldn't even need to be thinking about this stuff at all to effectively live my life - so that should give you a hint as to how important it is to me.

I'll rephrase, since like many skeptics, you have high intelligence, but not the patience to comprehend my points before replying:

1) Either God made a universe that would eventually have "universe juice" or no god made the universe = dichotomy. I've asked for years for atheists to give me the "third alternative" for life and they cannot. Clearly from the above, your "third alternative" is a mysterious process that is, quote, "isn't just about chemicals coming together by themselves," in a beautiful natural process that "WE DON'T UNDERSTAND. We don't know." We don't know because the scientists cannot forcibly, via intelligent design, help the chemicals to come together. :) And your third process is a "I dunno naturedidit just so story" process. Listen to yourself! Take a deep breath and realize you are helping me prove that God made this universe!

2) I understand what an ekpyrotic universe is. Almost ZERO scholarly cosmologists accept this model due to ENTROPY and laws of CONSERVATION. Almost 100% of cosmologists accept a singularity expansion--there was God, then linear time with timespace, there was darkness and void, then LIGHT.

3) The universe's energy balance and much more testify to a magnificent designer.

A Vestigial Mote

I'll rephrase, since like many skeptics, you have high intelligence, but not the patience to comprehend my points before replying:

1) Either God made a universe that would eventually have "universe juice" or no god made the universe = dichotomy. I've asked for years for atheists to give me the "third alternative" for life and they cannot. Clearly from the above, your "third alternative" is a mysterious process that is, quote, "isn't just about chemicals coming together by themselves," in a beautiful natural process that "WE DON'T UNDERSTAND. We don't know." We don't know because the scientists cannot forcibly, via intelligent design, help the chemicals to come together. :) And your third process is a "I dunno naturedidit just so story" process. Listen to yourself! Take a deep breath and realize you are helping me prove that God made this universe!
I've already admitted that "God did it" and "God did not do it" are valid logical opposites, AKA a true dichotomy. It's you who apparently still aren't understanding. Your original "dichotomy" (that wasn't one) was "Intelligent design" versus "abiogenesis." If what I have provided isn't good enough to meet your "third alternative" request, then how about this: our definition of "biological" simply isn't wide enough, and as it turns out, "life" is merely the energy found in all things. In fact, "life" is not a different force than any of the forces already present in the universe. The atoms and molecules that come together do so because this energy (that in some forms, we term "life") is simply everywhere, all the time, in all matter. This is akin to the "everything is conscious" idea that some people have come up with, but taking it to a more basic root level. All energy and activity in the universe is automatic, ever-present, and simply takes various forms. Therefore everything is "biology" and thus the term "abiogenesis" is rendered nonsensical.

2) I understand what an ekpyrotic universe is. Almost ZERO scholarly cosmologists accept this model due to ENTROPY and laws of CONSERVATION. Almost 100% of cosmologists accept a singularity expansion--there was God, then linear time with timespace, there was darkness and void, then LIGHT.
But none of those people "know" for sure. Guaranteed. And so, there could certainly be some break-down of "normal" function of matter and energy once some great portion of the universe's mass has all coalesced into one gigantic ball. No one can know what happens at that point. Perhaps there is such a boon of energy in such a space that it "re-charges" everything before bursting out again. The reality is, we're talking infinite time here - during which any particles attracted to one another have infinitely long to realize the culmination of the draw between them. Gravity doesn't just "stop working" that I know of... and as masses get larger and more attractive to other masses, what's to stop everything from eventually being drawn back in? Seriously... where does it go from the point of multiple HUGE accretions of mass? Why would everything eventually be "evenly distributed" throughout the universe if there exists this constant attraction via gravity?

3) The universe's energy balance and much more testify to a magnificent designer.
Nothing more than conjecture. Just like my above paragraph. I have no idea what happens on into infinity. No idea. Which is why I can spitball to my heart's content and there are no consequences for doing so. Except that you, and people like you, want to impose consequences, don't you? You want people to literally change their lives in accordance with your conjecture. Which makes that part of you a bit evil if I am being brutally honest.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Inspired by @Trailblazer 's thread here: Atheists, if God existed….

Say a charlatan wanted to create a false religion that people would follow. What would that religion look like?

A few of my own thoughts:

- the charlatan would put himself in a position where he could control the beliefs of the religion. He would be the "official" conduit between the religion's adherents and God: a prophet, messenger, messiah, something like that.

- he would arrange it so that no proof of God - or of his own appointment as God's messenger or whatnot - could or should be independently confirmed. Since he would fail such a test, he would make sure he wouldn't be subject to a test.

What else would we see in a false religion?

Edit: I should point out that I'm not asking about signs that a religion must be false. Maybe some of the characteristics of a false religion might also be shared by a true religion. For now, I'm only asking what characteristics a false religion would have, regardless of whether these characteristics are exclusive to false religions.
A false religion is one that is disingenuous and misrepresentative of its truth-claims.

Shad

Veteran Member
Religions aren't false per say, many of their claims are false, many others are simply impossible to verify, some are opinions and some are indeed true.

That makes religions actual false by not being true by having falsehoods.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I've already admitted that "God did it" and "God did not do it" are valid logical opposites, AKA a true dichotomy. It's you who apparently still aren't understanding. Your original "dichotomy" (that wasn't one) was "Intelligent design" versus "abiogenesis." If what I have provided isn't good enough to meet your "third alternative" request, then how about this: our definition of "biological" simply isn't wide enough, and as it turns out, "life" is merely the energy found in all things. In fact, "life" is not a different force than any of the forces already present in the universe. The atoms and molecules that come together do so because this energy (that in some forms, we term "life") is simply everywhere, all the time, in all matter. This is akin to the "everything is conscious" idea that some people have come up with, but taking it to a more basic root level. All energy and activity in the universe is automatic, ever-present, and simply takes various forms. Therefore everything is "biology" and thus the term "abiogenesis" is rendered nonsensical.

But none of those people "know" for sure. Guaranteed. And so, there could certainly be some break-down of "normal" function of matter and energy once some great portion of the universe's mass has all coalesced into one gigantic ball. No one can know what happens at that point. Perhaps there is such a boon of energy in such a space that it "re-charges" everything before bursting out again. The reality is, we're talking infinite time here - during which any particles attracted to one another have infinitely long to realize the culmination of the draw between them. Gravity doesn't just "stop working" that I know of... and as masses get larger and more attractive to other masses, what's to stop everything from eventually being drawn back in? Seriously... where does it go from the point of multiple HUGE accretions of mass? Why would everything eventually be "evenly distributed" throughout the universe if there exists this constant attraction via gravity?

Nothing more than conjecture. Just like my above paragraph. I have no idea what happens on into infinity. No idea. Which is why I can spitball to my heart's content and there are no consequences for doing so. Except that you, and people like you, want to impose consequences, don't you? You want people to literally change their lives in accordance with your conjecture. Which makes that part of you a bit evil if I am being brutally honest.

Interesting. You will accept the first dichotomy but not the second, without equivocating to state some philosophical rant--sorry, but that's what it is, read your first paragraph aloud to three skeptics and three Christians and all six will call you on being overly "spiritual".

Yes, no one knows cosmology "for sure" except we Bible-lovers, except for the fact that nearly 100% of degree-holding cosmologists utterly reject what you say regarding the universe.

A Vestigial Mote

Interesting. You will accept the first dichotomy but not the second, without equivocating to state some philosophical rant--sorry, but that's what it is, read your first paragraph aloud to three skeptics and three Christians and all six will call you on being overly "spiritual".
You still don't get it at all. Not at all. It is extremely frustrating. I WAS NOT advocating for the scenario posed in my first paragraph at all. NOT AT ALL. Understand that. I think it about as likely as the idea that God exists... which is to say, basically zero chance. I was merely pointing out the stupidity of your original attempt at a dichotomy (once again), by demonstrating that another possibility exists that isn't the other two. In a true dichotomy, there are only the two options presented, and there can not even be the possibility of a third. I gave you a third, therefore were in error. Failure. Abject and complete. Failure.

Yes, no one knows cosmology "for sure" except we Bible-lovers, except for the fact that nearly 100% of degree-holding cosmologists utterly reject what you say regarding the universe.
I admit I don't know. You don't. That's the difference. And it's a HUGE one.