• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists: Do You Believe That Finding God Has Made You a Better Person?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
While I would not normally interrupt in this sort of thread, can those on here tell me how they think they have become a better person?
I am no longer hindered by the commands of a deity.
I can freely help those whom I choose without fear of offending the deity I chose to worship.

rojse

RF Addict
Please see post #21

You stated that turning away from God has made you more moral. It was interesting, I read it before I wrote my post, now I want a response from one of the people that claimed that finding God has made them more moral, and I have not seen a post about that yet.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
You stated that turning away from God has made you more moral. It was interesting, I read it before I wrote my post, now I want a response from one of the people that claimed that finding God has made them more moral, and I have not seen a post about that yet.
*wipes face to remove the egg*

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Hmm. I don't necessarily believe I have become a better person since becoming a Christian.

But I would say I am equipped with everything I need to know in order to become a better person since becoming a Christian.

So perhaps...I am trying to be a better person, but not quite succeeding in many areas?

JTFC

I would have to say that I complely agree with what you think Christine. I feel awakened and alive, never quite like I had before I actually began to accept God and Jesus Christ as my Savior and understand the concepts of Catholicism as I matured. I am a much better person, although I might disobey God's laws sometimes. But, I always get back up to carry my cross with the help of Jesus through prayer. :)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Christianity offers me a moral code and a set of disciplines that help me in my quest to become the person that God created me to be. It offers me a standard to strive for.

I often fail, but with that standard before me, and the examples of Jesus and the saints to encourage me, it's easier to get back up and move forward again.

Left to my own devices, I find myself without as much of a sense of purpose and certainty about actions I should, or should not, take.

The gift of the Holy Spirit is the greatest gift of my life.

Can we be better than our former selves and yet no better than any other person?

10Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. (Luke 18)

emiliano

I was thinking on another thread (but didn't post on it since I didn't want to hijack the thread) that since I have found God that I have become a better person- Not perfect but better. I am wondering if other theists feel the same way.

I think that is has made me a better person because I am a happier person since I began to seek God’s presence in my life, I am still assailed by the same disturbances/temptations that I had before, but my responses to then are more positive now, in the past they were mostly negative, I don’t act on instincts as I used to do, I have hope and that is what makes the difference.

iloveislam

Muslim
I don't mean to offend anyone or their religion here, but I can surely say that after finding Islam I feel that I have become a better person because:

1. I am now more aware of my actions, since I know that God is Watching over me all the time and that I will be held accountable for the smallest good and bad things I do.
  2. My life-style has changed since I have become a better friend, brother, and relative to others.
  3. I now control my anger and my tounge from sliping more than any other time.
I hope this does not sound arrogant as I still believe that a great deal of work needs to be done to improve myself.