• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Writings of Chuang Tzu

ChrisP

Veteran Member
How much emphasis do you place (personally) on Chuang Tzu's writings in your own philosophy of Tao?

I've read it several times in the past and gleaned nothing more than had been gained from the writings of Lao Tzu. But went back to it again for possibly the umpteenth time today, and all of a sudden so much coalesced, and made sense and focused my. . . uhhhh sense of Tao :eek:

tasha7891

Hi Chris, you from NZ which part? Me too
Who is Chuang Tzu and the philosophy of Tao? I know very little about all religion and philosophy!

Tash

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
ChrisP, did you use an online translation or book? Could you point me in a good general direction? All the online translations I've found are in English no longer in use or horribly hard to understand. :eek: And on principle I don't buy translated books unless I know they've been translated well.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
tasha7891 said:
Hi Chris, you from NZ which part? Me too
Who is Chuang Tzu and the philosophy of Tao? I know very little about all religion and philosophy!

Tash
Hi Tash,

Born and bred in Welly :p

http://www.religiousworlds.com/taoism/ttc-list.html is a good site with several translations of the Tao available.

www.taoism.net is a good all around website with many of the other Tao writers works and thoughts.

Tao is a Chinese character which means "path" or "way" Tao in the philosophical or religious sense (not all Taoists are religious) means "the way of things". Which things you might ask: wellllll everything, and nothing. I realise that's probably very confusing, for some reason it never confused me when I first read the Tao te Ching, but it seems to confuse most (but not all) people who I've discussed this sort of thing with.

Don't be intimidated if it seems incomprehensible at first, it's very simple. All it takes is a shift in perspective and it all becomes clear.

There is also an excellent *sticky* (in red up the top) in this Tao discussion forum, with a bit more detail than this.

I'm horrible at explaining Tao, as you can probably see with previous threads in this forum so I won't go any further, it's for your sake trust me :D .

If you happen upon Master_Vigil or Jensa, they are FAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR better with words than I am. I need giant arm signals and funny faces before anyone can understand!

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Jensa said:
ChrisP, did you use an online translation or book? Could you point me in a good general direction? All the online translations I've found are in English no longer in use or horribly hard to understand. :eek: And on principle I don't buy translated books unless I know they've been translated well.
I can understand that, there are many horrible translations of the Tao that go out of their way to be incredibly Mystical and incomprehensibable.

www.Taoism.net is good, but the author has tended to include their own take/interpretation of an already interpreted-during-translation essay.

http://nothingistic.org/library/chuangtzu/ Is the book by James Legge, I'm not sure if I like him as I've not read much of his TtC translation yet, so I'm putting some faith in Google here :D .

anders

Legge's translation of Chuang Tzu (or Zhuang Zi) was made in 1880-1890. It shows. My favourite is The Complete Works of Chuang Tzu by Burton Watson, ISBN 0-231-03147-5. I've read it from cover to cover a few times, but frequently return to especially the "inner chapters" (1-7). Not primarily to get a better understanding of the philosophy, but to find views useful for my life.

munchkin

hi,

as with anything the teachings of chunag tzu, and lau tzu often reveal much as we travel the path of Tao.

It is as we merge to oneness in the inneternal path of Tao that we feel more and realise what the sages say :)

love and peace
becca :)

Master Vigil

I enjoyed Chuang Tzu. I appealed to my artistic side. However, as a Taoist, I find more truth in watching a stream, then I do in any words.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Master Vigil said:
I enjoyed Chuang Tzu. I appealed to my artistic side. However, as a Taoist, I find more truth in watching a stream, then I do in any words.
I realise that everything around me is an extension of Tao, I use philosophical thoughts to improve my appreciation and understanding of Tao.
Working in an office all day really makes it difficult, as the element I connect with most is Air. All I get is Air conditioning :'(
I can't wait till I go home and walk in the park up the top of the street, but until I learn to remain in the Tao, I need some reminders in my steel tower :)

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
How does Chuang Tzu differ from Lao Tzu in their views?
As I understand it. Chuang Tzu was a disciple or someone who attempted to explain/expand on the teachings of Lao Tzu in later centuries after Lao's departure. Most of Chuang Tzu's writings seem to be quite like Mystical poetry with more far fetched analogies than Lao Tzu's quite grounded Tao te Ching.

The link I gave Jensa seems to be the best online translation available. If you see a better one please give me a heads up ;)

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Sunstone as I see it they differ in style more than than outlook. The Tao Te Ching (Lao Tzu) talks about the metaphysical nature of Tao and a romantic utopia in an impersonal, minimalist & general way whereas Chuang Tzu's writings are more personal, composed mostly of stories and inner dialog.