• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The writing on the wall

Vee

Premium Member
I'm one of those who think that it doesn't hurt to prepare.
I've had a go bag ready for many years now. I check it once in a while to make sure everything is in order and replace what needs replacing.
There is always some cash at my place. Not a lot but enough to get me by for a while if bank cards don't work or banks stop allowing withdrawals.
And for months now I've been stockpiling food with a long shelf live (rice, pasta, canned goods, coffee, flour, sauces, etc). I add some more every month so it doesn't cost too much and I have enough now to live for a good 3 months. It wont be gourmet food, but who cares?
Last winter I bought some ski sweaters and leggings. If electricity costs keep going through the roof, I can wear them and avoid turning on the heating. Not the most comfortable option, but since I live in an area where it doesn't get that cold, that's enough to have a decent winter without breaking the bank.
It's all little things, but I see the direction things are taking and I don't like it. I hope I'm wrong but there is a serious risk that later this year or early next year many millions of people in the world will be starving, even worse than now. I'm preparing the best I can, physically, but also mentality and spiritually.
Anyone else doing the same?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I've had a go bag ready for many years now. I check it once in a while to make sure everything is in order and replace what needs replacing.
There is always some cash at my place. Not a lot but enough to get me by for a while if bank cards don't work or banks stop allowing withdrawals.
And for months now I've been stockpiling food with a long shelf live (rice, pasta, canned goods, coffee, flour, sauces, etc). I add some more every month so it doesn't cost too much and I have enough now to live for a good 3 months. It wont be gourmet food, but who cares?
Last winter I bought some ski sweaters and leggings. If electricity costs keep going through the roof, I can wear them and avoid turning on the heating. Not the most comfortable option, but since I live in an area where it doesn't get that cold, that's enough to have a decent winter without breaking the bank.
It's all little things, but I see the direction things are taking and I don't like it. I hope I'm wrong but there is a serious risk that later this year or early next year many millions of people in the world will be starving, even worse than now. I'm preparing the best I can, physically, but also mentality and spiritually.

When I’m in New Zealand we have a grab bag but that’s because of earth quakes but there’s a rough road ahead for many as you say,neuclear war I wouldn’t bother,3 months is a small cushion for anything really.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

I keep enough for a couple of weeks because we had a big storm about 8 years ago that cut off our town for a week, we had no power, water or phones and a tree through the roof. If it's going to be any longer than a few weeks I wouldn't want to prolong the inevitable.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I find off grid life appealing more and more.

I really don't want to contribute to society anymore save for the basics and some luxury like phone and pc and just watch as society goes to hell in a hand basket.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If I felt that way I would stock up more on long lasting food stuffs, and have a supply of potable water as well. If banks are no longer working then cash itself may no longer have any value.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I'm one of those who think that it doesn't hurt to prepare
Prepare won't hurt

I have enough now to live for a good 3 months
But part of prepare would be, to not shout it out on social media, because when troubles start they all will come to you, and your 3 month supply might soon be 3 days, when 30 people show up as hungry wolves:).

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I can live on pine bark from my pine trees. Bark is edible. The needles are edible, too, and are a source of vitamin C. We can get protein from earth worms and ants. I don't know how they taste, yet; but when it becomes necessary I will find out. Oh yes, and we can also make sassafras tea and boil dandylion weeds. Meanwhile everyone else will be frantically trying to buy food that is unavailable.

Eventually people will come to me for food, and I will become their leader. They will make tools for me, and I will rebuild civilization.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Add a few things:

- some water purification solutions: lifestraws, iodine,,,
- firewood or maybe a campstove with some small propane canisters
- hand crank radio
- i'm looking into a small solar power system - feed the grid a little, run a scaled-down version of the house.
- or even a smaller system, enough to charge your phone.
- i hate to say it, but we're looking into a taser gun - ugh!
- a first aid kit

And for god's sake, don't forget a lot of TP ! ;)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I was a bit of a prepper for a time with canned food, kerosene in a barrel and a small sum in a Swiss bank account. The food went bad the kerosene leaked out and the Swiss bank closed my account for being too small.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Eventually people will come to me for food, and I will become their leader. They will make tools for me, and I will rebuild civilization

FB_IMG_1656283570270.jpg

KW

I can live on pine bark from my pine trees. Bark is edible. The needles are edible, too, and are a source of vitamin C. We can get protein from earth worms and ants. I don't know how they taste, yet; but when it becomes necessary I will find out. Oh yes, and we can also make sassafras tea and boil dandylion weeds. Meanwhile everyone else will be frantically trying to buy food that is unavailable.

Eventually people will come to me for food, and I will become their leader. They will make tools for me, and I will rebuild civilization.

Do the sassafras plants grow wild or do you plant them?

I remember having Sassfras tea as a child and it was delicious. Like root beer, so it is probably where the taste of root beer comes from.