• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The World Isn't Even A Second Old

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Unless there are parallel universes that are created every second we live of all of the possible things we could do at each second...

The past only exists in memory, which is subconsciousness... Memory could be fallible too, and misleading. We can forget about a certain event during an event that we remember and replace it with something that actually never happened...

So only the present exists. Right?

Another thing similar to this: Are we a different person every minosecond? Because of the same logic.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Unless there are parallel universes that are created every second we live of all of the possible things we could do at each second...

The past only exists in memory, which is subconsciousness... Memory could be fallible too, and misleading. We can forget about a certain event during an event that we remember and replace it with something that actually never happened...

So only the present exists. Right?

The present only exists in memory too: since it takes a moment (even if it's a micro-moment) for our sensory apparatus to process information and relay it to the brain, then we never really are looking at the present moment, just the very recent past. :D

Another thing similar to this: Are we a different person every minosecond? Because of the same logic.

Could be: if we are our thoughts, and our thoughts change constantly and continually, then there never really is an "I". The "I" would be in a constant state of flux.

The Sum of Awe

The present only exists in memory too: since it takes a moment (even if it's a micro-moment) for our sensory apparatus to process information and relay it to the brain, then we never really are looking at the present moment, just the very recent past. :D

Yes, I thought about this during it... It is kinda a paradox, because you'd have to keep getting smaller and smaller in the amount of time... .01 then .001 then .0001 etc. So basically, we're never here.

Could be: if we are our thoughts, and our thoughts change constantly and continually, then there never really is an "I". The "I" would be in a constant state of flux.

Agree :D

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Well, then by that same token, it's the brain-relayed, sensory apparatus-processed information that is "the present," so reality actually happens in the future! :)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, then by that same token, it's the brain-relayed, sensory apparatus-processed information that is "the present," so reality actually happens in the future! :)

This would really confuse me if I weren't psychic.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
This would really confuse me if I weren't psychic.
I am a banana!

Anywho, memory is not subconscious. It's what's called preconscious, meaning it's not always on your mind, but you can access it easily whenever you want. Subconscious is deeply rooted stuff that's hard to find, and nonconscious stuff is stuff you can never find.

The Sum of Awe

I am a banana!

Anywho, memory is not subconscious. It's what's called preconscious, meaning it's not always on your mind, but you can access it easily whenever you want. Subconscious is deeply rooted stuff that's hard to find, and nonconscious stuff is stuff you can never find.

But still not physically existing.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
It gets even trickier when to take into consideration the "sum over histories" idea of time. We have multiple pasts and multiple futures.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I am a banana!

Pffft. Knew that.

that's not true at all: I think you'll be amazed by all the examples of non-consciousness you'll find in our forums after you've been around for a while.. :yes:

The Sum of Awe

The past has existed and the future will exist. I would say the real question here would be about the concept of time?

Yes it has existed, and the future will... But doesn't presently... But we need to figure out how to define presently... .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 and beyond...

It has to do with time, but I'm not sure if it is about the concept of time.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Pffft. Knew that.

that's not true at all: I think you'll be amazed by all the examples of non-consciousness you'll find in our forums after you've been around for a while.. :yes:
I meant in your own mind, but I respect the joke. Well played.

Panda

42?
Premium Member

A certain Quagmire being a prime example of this :p

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Yes it has existed, and the future will... But doesn't presently... But we need to figure out how to define presently... .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 and beyond...

It has to do with time, but I'm not sure if it is about the concept of time.

So the problem is just definitions?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Senses: the human equivalent of lag.

EDIT: To run with this idea a bit, assuming the senses are faulty in their "display" of the information received, it would the same as a schizophrenic thinking the TV is reading their mind. You'd think of something before seeing it.

Okay, rant over.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Senses: the human equivalent of lag.

EDIT: To run with this idea a bit, assuming the senses are faulty in their "display" of the information received, it would the same as a schizophrenic thinking the TV is reading their mind. You'd think of something before seeing it.

Okay, rant over.

Hmm? Explain.