• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Word of God

74x12

Can god exist without his words?
Scriptures show us God is one with His Word. Can God exist in silence? Of course if He wants; but He chooses to speak and we know He never changes. So, He would always choose to speak. God won't be silent forever because His nature is to speak.

Jacob Samuelson

Decartes stated "I think therefore I am" I imagine the thought of God came more from the idea that there had to be a source for everything more than a written document stating it's existence. However, the answer to this question would actually be most likely no. If no one in existence ever considered an origin to life, purpose, or thought, to write about it or preserve it than it most likely wouldn't exist, or if it did exist it would have no business with us and therefore insignificant to even consider. Without the works given to us from generation to generation, it would be my opinion that we would work to create one or remain in a purposeless perhaps futureless existence.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Scriptures show us God is one with His Word. Can God exist in silence? Of course if He wants; but He chooses to speak and we know He never changes. So, He would always choose to speak. God won't be silent forever because His nature is to speak.

This is somewhat of an unrelated question. How do you know what god wants and doesn't what? How does he choose?

That would mean god's nature (what he is) is his dictations only?

74x12

This is somewhat of an unrelated question. How do you know what god wants and doesn't what? How does he choose?

That would mean god's nature (what he is) is his dictations only?
You know what God wants because He speaks. As for what He chooses ... I don't know how He chooses. But I believe He always chooses what is most natural to Himself.

I don't believe His nature is His dictations only. If you want to know His nature look at Genesis 1:1-3

Genesis 1:1-3
1 In the beginning of God's preparing the heavens and the earth --
2 the earth has existed waste and void, and darkness on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God fluttering on the face of the waters,
3 and God says, `Let light be;' and light is.

God in perfect stillness is God. When He moves (in this case fluttering over the water) He is Spirit which literally translates as "wind//breath". (Which explains why they heard a sound as of rushing mighty wind on day of Pentecost in Acts 2:1-4)

And when He speaks that is the Word. And the Word gives Light of God. Light reveals and brings order. It makes a separation between things in the light and those still in darkness.

Genesis 1:4
And God sees the light that [it is] good, and God separates between the light and the darkness,

This implies that when God speaks it is to set things in order. To bring meaning to what would just be "waste and void" that is chaos. Without separation. So for example in verses 9-10 God separates the "earth" (dry land) from the water.

So we have God in stillness and then He begins to move and is Wind and then He wants to bring order and so speaks. What is a spoken Word? It is vibrations within the air. Or your vocal cords, tongue and lips giving form to your breath. So, then the same with the God. His Word is His breath/Spirit in specific vibration patterns. So when God speaks it is to create.

Psalm 33:6
By the word of Jehovah The heavens have been made, And by the breath of His mouth all their host.

This is how everything is "held together" by the "Word of His power" (Hebrews 1:3) it literally gives structure to the universe. Ultimately God made everything in the light of Genesis 1:3. That is 6 distinct periods of this light. Or it shone 6 times which are called the 6 days of creation. The 7th time it shines is the Sabbath rest of God.

Jim

Nets of Wonder

Edit. Is god and his word/scripture are one and the same and cannot exist without each other?
Part of my definition of my God is that some of the words spoken by some characters in some stories in scriptures are His own words.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have posted for years....Someone had to be FIRST
in mind and heart

and always......Spirit first and substance as creation

kinda hard to say ….I AM!
without something to show for it

Not if the cause and affect are eternal

It's a contradiction. I'd assume humans put limitations on god to fit them to the idea they would understand. Maybe if they didn't do that, their brains would go haywire trying to figure out god on his terms and not theirs.

your objections are noted
but they do not defeat the post I made

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You know what God wants because He speaks. As for what He chooses ... I don't know how He chooses. But I believe He always chooses what is most natural to Himself.

I don't believe His nature is His dictations only. If you want to know His nature look at Genesis 1:1-3

Genesis 1:1-3
1 In the beginning of God's preparing the heavens and the earth --
2 the earth has existed waste and void, and darkness on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God fluttering on the face of the waters,
3 and God says, `Let light be;' and light is.

God in perfect stillness is God. When He moves (in this case fluttering over the water) He is Spirit which literally translates as "wind//breath". (Which explains why they heard a sound as of rushing mighty wind on day of Pentecost in Acts 2:1-4)

And when He speaks that is the Word. And the Word gives Light of God. Light reveals and brings order. It makes a separation between things in the light and those still in darkness.

Genesis 1:4
And God sees the light that [it is] good, and God separates between the light and the darkness,

This implies that when God speaks it is to set things in order. To bring meaning to what would just be "waste and void" that is chaos. Without separation. So for example in verses 9-10 God separates the "earth" (dry land) from the water.

So we have God in stillness and then He begins to move and is Wind and then He wants to bring order and so speaks. What is a spoken Word? It is vibrations within the air. Or your vocal cords, tongue and lips giving form to your breath. So, then the same with the God. His Word is His breath/Spirit in specific vibration patterns. So when God speaks it is to create.

Psalm 33:6
By the word of Jehovah The heavens have been made, And by the breath of His mouth all their host.

This is how everything is "held together" by the "Word of His power" (Hebrews 1:3) it literally gives structure to the universe. Ultimately God made everything in the light of Genesis 1:3. That is 6 distinct periods of this light. Or it shone 6 times which are called the 6 days of creation. The 7th time it shines is the Sabbath rest of God.

I don't want to sound rude, but (well), the scripture only tells me what the authors believe rather than you. I can't talk with the authors.

Does god speak to you outside the bible to tell you things?

For example, years ago my grandmother after her funeral, saved me from getting hit by a car. I can say "she showed me... she talked to me..." etc, and that would be right in my view. However, if someone asked me what I meant, I can't show them my grandmother's photo album and they definitely won't know who my relatives are and lessons they taught me. They don't know my relationship with my family. So, there needs to be another method of communication.

How does god show you?
Is it intuition?

How is he telling you what he thinks when I read the same verses you posted and I don't get that impression.

There's got to be more than what the bible says. Anyone can read the bible, but the communication must be something a bit more than that?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
as for contra'diction'......yeah

to speak...I AM!...when that cannot be possible
to create of nothing

and LIGHT...is an aberration

the void was perfect

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don’t know what else to say. Sorry if what I said wasn’t relevant. I thought it was.

I'm usually a blunt person with religions. I didn't read a yes or no or maybe. Is God and his own words the same?

You mentioned their relationship and importance to you but not it's existence in relation to the other.

74x12

How is he telling you what he thinks when I read the same verses you posted and I don't get that impression.
It's strong meat rather than milk. (Hebrews 5:14)
My belief that every jot and tittle of the Word is valid and useful. And the scripture interpret themselves. So you have to cross reference different words and topics to understand them better. So we have to pay attention to details and let the Bible interpret itself. Also we must discern(understand) spiritual things. That is not just read the scriptures; but really understand the spiritual meaning.
There's got to be more than what the bible says. Anyone can read the bible, but the communication must be something a bit more than that?
Yes, the holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth that is able to "lead and guide you" into all truth. (John 16:13) You have to begin there to understand the Bible. Because no one understands the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. (1 Corinthians 2:11) And God does speak in mysteries and riddles. (Proverb 1:6) Why? Because He doesn't want you to be self sufficient. He wants you to seek Him for the answer. Jesus said "ask and you'll receive, seek and you'll find" So that's how people can approach Bible study. Pray for the answer, and then search the scriptures. Because no one can explain the Bible like God.

Jeremiah 33:3 Revised Standard Version (RSV)
Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things which you have not known.

Psalm 119:169 Revised Standard Version (RSV)
Let my cry come before thee, O Lord;
give me understanding according to thy word!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It's strong meat rather than milk. (Hebrews 5:14)
My belief that every jot and tittle of the Word is valid and useful. And the scripture interpret themselves. So you have to cross reference different words and topics to understand them better. So we have to pay attention to details and let the Bible interpret itself. Also we must discern(understand) spiritual things. That is not just read the scriptures; but really understand the spiritual meaning.

Yes, the holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth that is able to "lead and guide you" into all truth. (John 16:13) You have to begin there to understand the Bible. Because no one understands the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. (1 Corinthians 2:11) And God does speak in mysteries and riddles. (Proverb 1:6) Why? Because He doesn't want you to be self sufficient. He wants you to seek Him for the answer. Jesus said "ask and you'll receive, seek and you'll find" So that's how people can approach Bible study. Pray for the answer, and then search the scriptures. Because no one can explain the Bible like God.

Jeremiah 33:3 Revised Standard Version (RSV)
Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things which you have not known.

Psalm 119:169 Revised Standard Version (RSV)
Let my cry come before thee, O Lord;
give me understanding according to thy word!

If I personally believed in god, there wouldn't be a scripture (Hindu, Quran, So have you), but just literally the source and understanding from the Spirit itself. I feel that when you have that one-to-one connection, it can't be misinterpreted and wouldn't need to be tested.

Biblical quoting. Does. not. help me understand personal beliefs, just theology.

Do you trust god to speak to you directly or in all cases, you cross reference?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Is God and his own words the same?
One is part of the other. In some stories in some scriptures it looks to me like some words of some characters in the stories are considered as the words of the God of Abraham, but there is more to that God than His words.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Edit. Is god and his word/scripture are one and the same and cannot exist without each other?
In my understanding, a God could and probably do exist even we humans do not have a scripture from god. But for humans to understand God they would need teaching, orally or written.
But i can be wrong of course.

Reactions: Jim

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In my understanding, a God could and probably do exist even we humans do not have a scripture from god. But for humans to understand God they would need teaching, orally or written.

But i can be wrong of course.

Why can't they believe god speaks to them directly?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why can't they believe god speaks to them directly?
Again in my understanding, God did speak directly to some people in the past. But the times have changed and the "rules" of how we as humans are allowed to gain the information from a God has changed, so at this time in history, we are not allowed to gain direct contact with a God.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I feel that when you have that one-to-one connection, it can't be misinterpreted and wouldn't need to be tested.
Do you think that you could have the best possible relationships with other people, without any verbal communication with them?