• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Word of God

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Again in my understanding, God did speak directly to some people in the past. But the times have changed and the "rules" of how we as humans are allowed to gain the information from a God has changed, so at this time in history, we are not allowed to gain direct contact with a God.

When did that change? (I guess what time period god "stopped talking.")

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Do you think that you could have the best possible relationships with other people, without any verbal communication with them?

If god communicates by experience, action, and intuition, etc, one wouldn't need external means for internal voice. The book isn't eternal.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When did that change? (I guess what time period god "stopped talking.")
As far as i understand it, at Jesu time they were able to hear God directly, so sometime after that. I think it has to do with humans decline in morality and understanding of the spiritual realm. (i can be wrong on that)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Can god exist without his words?

Edit. Is god and his word/scripture are one and the same and cannot exist without each other?
Why in the world would a supposed god need a book?

The very fact that there are books about God ought to be a strong indicator that without it, its 'existence' would be notably lacking aside from the imagination of its author.

Twilight Hue

Can we exist without our posts? Our posts signify our existence, so too with God or Allah.
I tend to go by origins. You will only find humans on the other end, unless maybe that proverbial monkey at a typewriter ?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I tend to go by origins. You will only find humans on the other end, unless maybe that proverbial monkey at a typewriter ?
Ape-on-Laptop.jpg

We Never Know

No Slack
Why in the world would a supposed god need a book?

The very fact that there are books about God ought to be a strong indicator that without it, its 'existence' would be notably lacking aside from the imagination of its author.

IMO that's kind of a silly question.
Why does science need a book?
Why does math need a book?
Why does english need a book?

That answer is quit simple. The book is used to teach so what is known won't be forgotten. Whether that has anything to do with the bible and god, I have no clue. Bottom line is books are for teaching.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Since Joseph Goebbels or earlier, books are for propaganda also. ;)

"According to Guinness World Records as of 1995, the Bible is the best-selling book of all time, with an estimated 5 billion copies sold and distributed. The Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-tung, also known as the Little Red Book, has .." The third place is occupied by Harry Potter at some 500 million.

The problem is in knowing what is what.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
Since Joseph Goebbels or earlier, books are for propaganda also. ;)

Books are nonfiction and fiction.
Books are entertainment and educational.
Books are interesting and boring.
Books are funny and sad.
Books are mystery and comedy.
Books are a criminal and action.
Books are many things.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Nets of Wonder
If god communicates by experience, action, and intuition, etc, one wouldn't need external means for internal voice. The book isn't eternal.
I’ll tell you a way if thinking about Bible stories and the God in those stories, that makes sense to me. I’m not sure that any Christians think this way, but there might be some who do. A person might imagine the world and us in it as If it we were being continually created by a kind of someone, and designed for us to have a personal kind of relationship with that creator through that creation. Not thinking that there really is or is not such a being, just as an analogy that the person finds useful for their practice. A person might also find it useful for their practice, as part of the analogy, to think of what some characters in Bible stories say and do as words and actions of the creator himself.

More specifically, thinking of the words and actions of Jesus in the Bible stories as words and actions of the creator himself might facilitate transfer of learning between a person’s relationships with other people and their relationships with everything else in nature.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

IMO that's kind of a silly question.
Why does science need a book?
Why does math need a book?
Why does english need a book?

That answer is quit simple. The book is used to teach so what is known won't be forgotten. Whether that has anything to do with the bible and god, I have no clue. Bottom line is books are for teaching.
I hadn't realized a God was so hobbled and crippled that it would rely entirely on a book to do all its talking and proving for it.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes. Thanks. If there was no bible, would christians be lost or can they still be in a relationship with him?
"For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so they are without excuse". Romans 1:20

Honestly, if all one had was the Bible, I think they'd be lost.

love and scripture.jpg

MNoBody

Can god exist without his words?

Edit. Is god and his word/scripture are one and the same and cannot exist without each other?
according to the story... in the beginning God spoke....and everything that is came to be,
both things visible and THINGS invisible.
So, by extension, we are all living within this spoken "WORD"
and are ourselves some manner of living word.
that is the basics of the story, in extremely simplified form.
it appears, as always, semantics and basic language comprehension and communication skills are still impaired in the species of 'man'.
which is at the root of all the 'word-wrangling' that keeps progress at a standstill.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
according to the story... in the beginning God spoke....and everything that is came to be,
both things visible and THINGS invisible.
So, by extension, we are all living within this spoken "WORD"
and are ourselves some manner of living word.
that is the basics of the story, in extremely simplified form.
it appears, as always, semantics and basic language comprehension and communication skills are still impaired in the species of 'man'.
which is at the root of all the 'word-wrangling' that keeps progress at a standstill.

Word meaning christ himself, the creator's words incarnated, or word meaning physical scripture?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I’m not sure that this is relevant, but most of the ideas that people have about what their scriptures say don’t come from reading those scriptures themselves.