• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The wisdom of Charles Spurgeon

Sola*5

When did Christ's love begin to work for us? It was long before we were born, long before the world was created; far, far back, in eternity, our Saviour gave the first proof of his love to us by espousing our cause. By his divine foresight, he looked upon human nature as a palace that had been plundered, and broken down, and in its ruins he perceived the owl, the bittern, the dragon, and all manner of unclean things. Who was there to undertake the great work of restoring that ruined palace? No one but the Word, who was with God, and who was God. "He saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no intercessor: therefore his own arm brought salvation unto him; and his righteousness, it sustained him." Ere the angels began to sing, or the sun, and moon, and stars threw their first beams athwart primeval darkness, Christ espoused the cause of his people, and resolved not only to restore to them all the blessings that he foresaw that they would lose, but also add to them richer favours that could ever have been theirs except through him. Even for eternity his delights were with the sons of men; and when I think of him, in that far-distant past of which we can form so slight a conception, becoming "the head over all things to the church" which then existed only in the mind of God, my very soul cries out in a rapture of delight, "Behold how he loved us!"
July 7th, 1872

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It is strange how little known he is these days, outside baptist Circles.
In 72 years I have never heard reference to him nor read any of his works.
Nor did I during the few years I attended a baptist church.
But his entry in Wikipedia makes clear how important he was in his time, and how he is still recognised through the charity he founded.
I doubt there are any preachers in England who can fill the Tabernacle he had built today.

Of course not many denominations then or now would agree with his doctrines.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
It is strange how little known he is these days, outside baptist Circles.
In 72 years I have never heard reference to him nor read any of his works.
Nor did I during the few years I attended a baptist church.
But his entry in Wikipedia makes clear how important he was in his time, and how he is still recognised through the charity he founded.
I doubt there are any preachers in England who can fill the Tabernacle he had built today.

Of course not many denominations then or now would agree with his doctrines.

He was fantastic, I have read so much of His works and he is still loved by Christians across many denominations. He and others such as George muller (another fantastic example of a Christian) did wonderful work for orphans which was so important and for which they should not be forgotten.
If you ever get the time, pick up a small book by Spurgeon they are very cheap and really go to the heart.
I don't agree with everything he said, he was a calvinist but one did not assume who may be elect and who may not be but preached the gospel to all and implored all passionatly to come to Christ. It was from reading his books that I have read other authors he recommended such as Bunyan, Luther and the Puritans.

joeboonda

George Meuller, what a story! (probably mispelled his name-where is that book...)This guy prayed for literally everything he needed, the results were unbelievable! If anyone gets the chance, read a book about him, it will transform your life!

Sola*5

I believe that Christ came into the world not to put men into a salvable state, but into a saved state. Not to put them where they could save themselves, but to do the work in them and for them, from first to last. If I did not believe that there was might going forth with the word of Jesus which makes men willing, and which turns them from the error of their ways by the mighty, overwhelming, constraining force of divine influence, I should cease to glory in the cross of Christ. (C.H. Spurgeon, Sermons, Vol. 3, p. 34).

Sola*5

"Numbers of good brethren in different ways remain in fellowship with those who are undermining the Gospel; and they talk of their conduct as though it were a loving course which the Lord will approve of in the day of His appearing. We cannot understand them. The bounden duty of a true believer towards men who profess to be Christians, and yet deny the Word of the Lord, and reject the fundamentals of the Gospel, is to come out from among them. To stay in a community which fellowships all beliefs in the hope of setting matters right is as though Abraham had stayed at Ur. Or at Haran, in the hope of converting the household out of which he was called.

"For there is some danger of falling into a soft and effeminate Christianity, under the plea of a lofty and ethereal theology. Christianity was born for endurance; not an exotic, but a hardy plant, braced by the keen wind; not languid, nor childish, nor cowardly. It walks with strong step and erect frame; it is kindly, but firm; it is gentle, but honest; it is calm, but not facile; obliging, but not imbecile; decided, but not churlish. It does not fear to speak the stern word of condemnation against error, nor to raise its voice against surrounding evils, under the pretext it is not of this world; it does not shrink from giving honest reproof, lest it come under the charge of displaying an unchristian spirit. It calls sin sin, on whomsoever it is found, and would rather risk the accusation of being actuated by a bad spirit than not discharge an explicit duty. Let us not misjudge strong words used in honest controversy.

"Believers in Christ's atonement are now in declared union with those who make light of it; believers in Holy Scripture are in confederacy with those who deny plenary inspiration; those who hold evangelical doctrine are in open alliance with those who call the fall a fable, who deny the personality of the Holy Ghost, who call justification by faith immoral, and hold that there is another probation after death. Yes, we have before us the wretched spectacle of professedly orthodox Christians publicly avowing their union with those who deny the faith, and scarcely concealing their contempt for those who cannot be guilty of such gross disloyalty to Christ. To be very plain, we are unable to call these things Christian Unions, they begin to look like Confederacies in Evil… It is our solemn conviction that where there can be no real spiritual communion there should be no pretense of fellowship. Fellowship with known and vital error is participation in sin." (C.H. Spurgeon, November 1887, The Sword and the Trowel).

Sola*5

"Any doctrine, which hath not the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, as equal persons in one undivided essence, we cast aside as being unsound, for we are sure that such
doctrines must be derogatory to God’s glory; and if they be so it is enough for us"

"To believe and love the Trinity is to possess the key of theology."

"Thus, then, you have the Son suffering for you, the Spirit applying to you the merit
of his atoning sacrifice, and the Father well pleased with you because you are
trusting in his beloved Son. Or, to put the truth in another form, the Father gives the
great gospel feast, the Son is the feast, and the Spirit not only brings the invitations,
but he also gathers the guests around the table."

Sola*5

"We are fully assured that our own old English version of the Scriptures is sufficient
for plain men for all purposes of life, salvation, and godliness. "

"Not that I would readily find fault with our version at any time, for it is, as a rule,
marvellously correct and singularly forcible, and I am afraid when the new
translation of the Bible comes out it will be better to light our fires with it than to
give up the old version, which is so dear to us and so interwoven into all our religious
life. "

"The men are not yet born who will give us a better rendering either of the Old or the
New Testament than is to be found in our old English Bibles, and it is my belief that
they never will be born."

"You cannot change Holy Scripture. You may arrive more and more accurately at the
original text; but for all practical purposes the text we have is correct enough, and
our old Authorized Version is a sound one."

Sola*5

"The worst sort of clever men are those who know better than the Bible and are so learned that they believe that the world had no Maker, and that men are only monkeys with their tails rubbed off."

"The age is getting worse and worse, and man, by a process of evolution, is evolving a devil."

"Speak of evolution,—here it is,—“When lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.” Darkness never begets light, filth never creates purity, hell never yields heaven, and depravity never produces grace. "

"If God’s word be true, evolution is a lie."

"If those who believed in evolution said their prayers rightly, they would begin them with, “Our Father, which art up a tree.”

Escapism Through Eyeservice