• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The wisdom of Charles Spurgeon

Sola*5

Happiness

It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Sincerity

Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite

Achievement

Said will be a little ahead, but done should follow at his heel

Perserverance

By perseverance the snail reached the ark.

Wisdom

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Human nature

You cannot slander human nature; it is worse than words can paint it.

Messiahs Kingdom

Messiah's Kingdom shall reach on to the utmost bounds of the round World... So shall the Son of David rule all lands given Him...and leave no nation to pine beneath the tyranny of the [devilish] prince....

Soft Christianity

"For there is some danger of falling into a soft and effeminate Christianity, under the plea of a lofty and ethereal theology. Christianity was born for endurance; not an exotic, but a hardy plant, braced by the keen wind; not languid, nor childish, nor cowardly. It walks with strong step and erect frame; it is kindly, but firm; it is gentle, but honest; it is calm, but not facile; obliging, but not imbecile; decided, but not churlish. It does not fear to speak the stern word of condemnation against error, nor to raise its voice against surrounding evils, under the pretext it is not of this world; it does not shrink from giving honest reproof, lest it come under the charge of displaying an unchristian spirit. It calls sin sin, on whomsoever it is found, and would rather risk the accusation of being actuated by a bad spirit than not discharge an explicit duty. Let us not misjudge strong words used in honest controversy.

Sola*5

Strong faith

"Long ago I ceased to count heads. Truth is usually in the minority in this evil world. I have faith in the Lord Jesus for myself, -- a faith burned into me as with a hot iron. I thank God, what I believe I shall believe, even if I believe it alone".

Hearing the gospel

"The hearing of the gospel involves the hearer in responsibility. It is a great privilege to hear the gospel. You may smile and think there is nothing very great in it. The damned in hell know. Oh, what would they give if they could hear the gospel now? If they could come back and entertain but the shadow of a hope that they might escape from the wrath to come? The saved in heaven estimate this privilege at a high rate, for, having obtained salvation through the preaching of this gospel, they can never cease to bless their God for calling them by his word of truth. O that you knew it! On your dying beds the listening to a gospel sermon will seem another thing than it seems now."

True preaching

"Let this be to you the mark of true gospel preaching - where Christ is everything, and the creature is nothing; where it is salvation all of grace, through the work of the Holy Spirit applying to the soul the precious blood of Jesus."

Revival

"If God does not save men by truth, he certainly will not save them by lies. And if the old gospel is not competent to work a revival, then we will do without the revival."

The constancy of the gospel

"We have an unchanging gospel, which is not today green grass and tomorrow dry hay; but always the abiding truth of the immutable Jehovah."

Sola*5

Images of the Father

I have seen, to my horror, a picture of God the Father represented as an old man, whereas the Lord has declared that we should make no image of him or represent him in any way. The attempt is blasphemous. (Exodus 20:4)

Pope

Of all the dreams that ever deluded men, and probably of all blasphemies that ever were uttered, there has never been one which is more absurd, and which is more fruitful in all manner of mischief, than the idea that the Bishop of Rome can be the head of the church of Jesus Christ. No, these popes die, and how could the church live if its head were dead? The true Head ever lives, and the church ever lives in him.

Mass

The mass is a mass of abominations, a mass of hell's own concocting, a crying insult against the Lord of glory. It is not to be spoken of in any terms but those of horror and destestation. Whenever I think of another sacrifice for sin being offered, by whomever it my be presented, I can only regard it as an infamous insult to the perfection of the Savior's work. - MTP Vol 12 pg. 561 . We do not believe in the present ecclesiastical arrangement called CHRISTMAS. First, because we do not believe in the mass at all, but abhor it. And second, because we find no scriptural warrant for observing any day as the birthday of the Savior. Consequently, its observance is a superstition.

Purgatory

When the thief died on the cross, he had but just believed, and had never done a single good work. But where did he go? He ought to have gone to purgatory by rights if ever anybody did. But instead of that the Saviour said to him, "Today shalt thou be with me in Paradise" (Luke 23:43). Why? Because the ground of the man's admission into Paradise was perfect.

Baptism

But, brethren, the text says, "baptizing them." They are to be taught, and afterwards they are to be baptized. I know not why it is that we yield to the superstitions of our Christian brethren, so much as to use the word baptize at all. It is not an English, but a Greek word. It has but one meaning, and cannot bear another. Throughout all the classics, without exception, it is not possible to translate it correctly, except with the idea of immersion; and believing this, and knowing this, if the translation is not complete, we will complete it this morning... "Go ye, therefore, and teach all nations, immersing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

False converts

"I believe that, at this present time, we are in great danger of being burdened with a crowd of so-called converts who do not really know anything as it ought to be known. They attended a revival meeting, were much excited, and thought they were converted; but just ask them to explain to you the simplest truths of the gospel, and you will soon discover how little they know. Could they explain the three R's, ruin, redemption, and regeneration. Do they know what the ruin is? Do they know what the remedy for that ruin is? Do they understand at all what it means to be born again? Do they comprehend what the new nature is, or what "justification by faith" means. Perhaps someone says, "They do not comprehend your theological terms." I do not mind whether they know the meaning of the terms that are familiar to many of us; but do they know the truths themselves? There is a certain degree of Christian knowledge which is absolutely necessary to salvation."

Baptist perpetuity

"We believe that the Baptists are the original Christians. We did not commence our existence at thereformation, we were reformers before Luther or Calvin were born; we never came from the Church of Rome, for we were never in it, but we have an unbroken line up to the apostles themselves. We have always existed from the very days of Christ, and our principles, sometimes veiled and forgotten, like a river which may travel underground for a little season, have always had honest and holy adherents. Persecuted alike by Romanists and Protestants of almost every sect, yet there has never existed a Government holding Baptist principles which persecuted others; nor I believe any body of Baptists ever held it to be right to put the consciences of others under the control of man. We have ever been ready to suffer, as our martyrologies will prove, but we are not ready to accept any help from the State, to prostitute the purity of the Bride of Christ to any alliance with the government, and we will never make the Church, although the Queen, the despot over the consciences of men". (From The New Park Street Pulpit, Vol.VII, Page 225).
"History has hitherto been written by our enemies, who never would have kept a single fact about us upon the record if they could have helped it, and yet it leaks out every now and then that certain poor people called Anabaptists were brought up for condemnation. From the days of Henry II to those of Elizabeth we hear of certain unhappy heretics who were hated of all men for the truth's sake which was in them. We read of poor men and women, with their garments cut short, turned out into the fields to perish in the cold, and anon of others who were burnt at Newington for the crime of Anabaptism. Long before your Protestants were known of, these horrible Anabaptists, as they were unjustly called, were protesting for the 'one Lord, one faith, and one baptism.' No sooner did the visible church begin to depart from the gospel than these men arose to keep fast by the good old way. The priests and monks wished for peace and slumber, but there was always a Baptist or a Lollard tickling men's ears with holy Scriptures, and calling their attention to the errors of the times. They were a poor persecuted tribe. The halter was thought to be too good for them. At times ill-written history would have us think that they died out, so well had the wolf done his work on the sheep. Yet here we are, blessed and multiplied; and Newington sees other scenes from Sabbath to Sabbath

Sola*5

Do you see the Jewish host? There is a scapegoat brought out. The high priest confesses the sin of the people over the scapegoats head. The sin is all gone from the people and laid upon the scapegoat. Away goes the scapegoat into the wilderness. Is there any sin left on the people? If there is then the scapegoat has not carried it away. Because it cannot be both here and there, it cannot be carried away and left behind, too. "No", say you, "Scripture says the scapegoat carried away the sin; there was none left on the people when the scapegoat had taken away the sin".
And so, when by faith we put our hand upon the head of Christ, does Christ take away our sin, or does He not? If He does not, then it is of no use our believing in Him. But if He really does take away our sin, then our sin cannot be on us and on Him too. If it is on Christ, we are free, clear, accepted, justified. This is the true doctrine of justification by faith. As soon as a man believes in Christ Jesus, his sins are gone from him, and gone away forever. They are blotted out now.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Sola*5 said:
Do you see the Jewish host? There is a scapegoat brought out. The high priest confesses the sin of the people over the scapegoats head. The sin is all gone from the people and laid upon the scapegoat. Away goes the scapegoat into the wilderness. Is there any sin left on the people? If there is then the scapegoat has not carried it away. Because it cannot be both here and there, it cannot be carried away and left behind, too. "No", say you, "Scripture says the scapegoat carried away the sin; there was none left on the people when the scapegoat had taken away the sin".
And so, when by faith we put our hand upon the head of Christ, does Christ take away our sin, or does He not? If He does not, then it is of no use our believing in Him. But if He really does take away our sin, then our sin cannot be on us and on Him too. If it is on Christ, we are free, clear, accepted, justified. This is the true doctrine of justification by faith. As soon as a man believes in Christ Jesus, his sins are gone from him, and gone away forever. They are blotted out now.

I love this one Sola*5 so full of truth.

A

angellous_evangellous

Pope

Of all the dreams that ever deluded men, and probably of all blasphemies that ever were uttered, there has never been one which is more absurd, and which is more fruitful in all manner of mischief, than the idea that the Bishop of Rome can be the head of the church of Jesus Christ. No, these popes die, and how could the church live if its head were dead? The true Head ever lives, and the church ever lives in him.

Mass

The mass is a mass of abominations, a mass of hell's own concocting, a crying insult against the Lord of glory. It is not to be spoken of in any terms but those of horror and destestation. Whenever I think of another sacrifice for sin being offered, by whomever it my be presented, I can only regard it as an infamous insult to the perfection of the Savior's work. - MTP Vol 12 pg. 561 . We do not believe in the present ecclesiastical arrangement called CHRISTMAS. First, because we do not believe in the mass at all, but abhor it. And second, because we find no scriptural warrant for observing any day as the birthday of the Savior. Consequently, its observance is a superstition.

It's tragic when the mistakes of leaders are propounded as their strengths and applauded.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
"But I am a worm, and no man." This verse is a miracle in language. How could the Lord of glory be brought to such abasement as to be not only lower than the angels, but even lower than men. What a contrast between "I AM" and "I am a worm"! yet such a double nature was found in the person of our Lord Jesus when bleeding upon the tree. He felt himself to be comparable to a helpless, powerless, down-trodden worm, passive while crushed, and unnoticed and despised by those who trod upon him. He selects the weakest of creatures, which is all flesh; and becomes, when trodden upon, writhing, quivering flesh, utterly devoid of any might except strength to suffer. This was a true likeness of himself when his body and soul had become a mass of misery—the very essence of agony—in the dying pangs of crucifixion. Man by nature is but a worm; but our Lord puts himself even beneath man, on account of the scorn that was heaped upon him and the weakness which he felt, and therefore he adds, "and no man." The privileges and blessings which belonged to the fathers he could not obtain while deserted by God, and common acts of humanity were not allowed him, for he was rejected of men; he was outlawed from the society of earth, and shut out from the smile of heaven. How utterly did the Saviour empty himself of all glory, and become of no reputation for our sakes! "A reproach of men" —their common butt and jest; a byword and a proverb unto them: the sport of the rabble, and the scorn of the rulers. Oh the caustic power of reproach, to those who endure it with patience, yet smart under it most painfully! "And despised of the people." The vox populi was against him. The very people who would once have crowned him then contemned him, and they who were benefited by his cures sneered at him in his woes. Sin is worthy of all reproach and contempt, and for this reason Jesus, the Sinbearer, was given up to be thus unworthily and shamefully entreated.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Quicken me after thy loving kindness. Most wise, most blessed prayer! If we are revived in our own personal piety we shall be out of reach of our assailants. Our best protection from tempters and persecutors is more life. Lovingkindness itself cannot do us greater service than by making us to have life more abundantly. When we are quickened we are able to bear affliction, to baffle cunning, and to conquer sin. We look to the lovingkindness of God as the source of spiritual revival, and we entreat the Lord to quicken us, not according to our deserts, but after the boundless energy of his grace. What a blessed word is this "loving kindness." Take it to pieces, and admire its double force of love. "So shall I keep the testimony of thy mouth." If quickened by the Holy Ghost we shall be sure to exhibit a holy character. We shall be faithful to sound doctrine when the Spirit visits us and makes us faithful. None keep the word of the Lord's mouth unless the word of the Lord's mouth quickens them. We ought greatly to admire the spiritual prudence of the Psalmist, who does not so much pray for freedom from trial as for renewed life that he may be supported under it. When the inner life is vigorous all is well. David prayed for a sound heart in the closing verse of the last octave, and here he seeks a revived heart; this is going to the root of the matter, by seeking that which is the most needful of all things. Lord, let it be heart work with us, and let our hearts be right with thee.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Hey guys,

I was checking out Charles Spurgeon as I had no idea who he was and thought I would search spurgeon.org to see if mormons came up, and it did here:

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/cultists.htm

Spurgeon says the LDS church is a cult.

The website says:

Quasi-Christian groups whose doctrine deviates from the fundamental tenets of historic Christianity—particularly in the area of Christology—are called cults. Most cults build their belief systems around a single individual whose writings are deemed inspired—or nearly so, in some cases. Mormons look to Joseph Smith, Christian Scientists to Mary Baker Eddy, Jehovah's Witnesses to Charles Taze Russell, and so on.

do you agree?

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
comprehend said:
Hey guys,

I was checking out Charles Spurgeon as I had no idea who he was and thought I would search spurgeon.org to see if mormons came up, and it did here:

Spurgeon says the LDS church is a cult.

The website says:

[/color][/size][/font]

do you agree?

As he says at the end of the article:
"All cults have this in common: they deny the biblical doctrine of justification by faith."
This statement I agree with, it doesn't matter how big the organisation is justification by faith (only is what he means and taught) if denied excludes any organisation from our recognition as brothers or sisters in Christ Jesus.

I'm sure that this is annoying for you to read but that is generally the independant Baptist position on this and most evangelical churches well historically speaking anyhow, today is another story.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
*Paul* said:
As he says at the end of the article:
"All cults have this in common: they deny the biblical doctrine of justification by faith."
This statement I agree with, it doesn't matter how big the organisation is justification by faith (only is what he means and taught) if denied excludes any organisation from our recognition as brothers or sisters in Christ Jesus.

I'm sure that this is annoying for you to read but that is generally the independant Baptist position on this and most evangelical churches well historically speaking anyhow, today is another story.

What is the Baptist understanding of the term "justification by faith"? .

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Here is a description of it by Spurgeon:

The term itself means that we are declared as not guilty for the grievances of which our accuser accuses us of therfore punishment cannot justly be inflicted. We are declared righteous in the sight of God. Our sins are not imputed to us but were all laid on Jesus Christ, the Law therefore being satisified we have peace with God.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
*Paul* said:
Here is a description of it by Spurgeon:

The term itself means that we are declared as not guilty for the grievances of which our accuser accuses us of therfore punishment cannot justly be inflicted. We are declared righteous in the sight of God. Our sins are not imputed to us but were all laid on Jesus Christ, the Law therefore being satisified we have peace with God.

I would politely suggest mr. Spurgeon did not understand LDS doctrine. (but since this is a DIR forum, that is all I better say).

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
comprehend said:
I would politely suggest mr. Spurgeon did not understand LDS doctrine. (but since this is a DIR forum, that is all I better say).

That I don't know about, I have read a lot of his works and have never heard mention of mormonism in his works so your quote was a little suprising.

We must discuss justification soon if the Lord tarries but I suspect my time is going to be taken up defending the bible again at the moment.:knight:

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Look to it more and more that your religion is real, true, natural, vital - not artificial; constrained; superficial; a thing of times, days, places; a fungus produced by exitement; or a fermentation generated by meetings and stirred by oratory. We all need a religion that can live either in a wilderness or in a crowd, a religion that will show itself in every walk of life and company. Give me the godliness that is seen at home, especially around the fireside, for it is never more beautiful than there; the godliness that is seen in the tussle of ordinary business among scoffers and opposers as well as among Christians. Show me faith that can defy the sharp eyes of the world and walk feralessly where all scowl with fierce eyes of hate, as well as where there are sympathetic observers and lenient friends. May you be filled with the life of the Spirit; may your whole conduct and conversation be the natural, blessed outgrowth of the Spirit's indwelling!

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
"Do you know, my dear unsaved hearer, what God’s estimate of the gospel is? Do you not know that it has been the chief subject of his thoughts and acts from all eternity? He looks on it as the grandest of all his works. You cannot imagine that he has sent his gospel into the world to be a football for you to play with–that you may give it a kick, as Felix did when he said to Paul, "Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee" (Acts 24:25). You surely cannot believe that God sent his gospel into the world for you to make a toy of it, and to say, as Agrippa said to Paul, "Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian" (Acts 26:28), and then put away all thought of it out of your souls. You cannot even speak of it irreverently without committing a great sin." CHS

How true this is..Today, if ye will hear His voice, harden not your hearts.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
The universality of the gospel:
"Never lose heart in the power of the gospel. Do not believe that there exists any man, much less any race of men, for whom the gospel is not fitted." (CHS)

True gospel preaching:
"Let this be to you the mark of true gospel preaching - where Christ is everything, and the creature is nothing; where it is salvation all of grace, through the work of the Holy Spirit applying to the soul the precious blood of Jesus." (CHS)

The sin Bearer:
"If the Lord's bearing our sin for us is not the gospel, I have no gospel to preach." (C.H. Spurgeon)

I am not ashamed:
"When we preach Christ crucified, we have no reason to stammer, or stutter, or hesitate, or apologize; there is nothing in the gospel of which we have any cause to be ashamed." (C.H. Spurgeon)

Praise the Lord, what an encouragement these words are.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Here it is as clear as noon-day, that Christ dealt with sinners. Do not say Christ died for those who have done no wrong. That is not the description given. It is clear, I say, to everyone that chooses to look, that Christ could not bear the sins of those who had no sins, but could only bear the sins of men who were sinful and guilty. Briefly, then, but very plainly, to recount the old, old story over again: man stood with a load of sin upon his shoulders, so heavy that it would have crushed him lower than the lowest hell; Christ Jesus came into the world, stood in the room, place, and stead of his people; and he did, in the expressive words of the text, bear their sins—that is to say, their sins were really, not in a legal fiction, but really transferred from them to him. You see, a man cannot bear a thing which is not on his back; it is impossible that he can bear it unless it is actually there. The word "bear," implies weight, and weight is the sure indicator of reality. Christ did bear sin in its fulness, vileness, and condemnation upon his own shoulders. Comprehend this, then, and you have the marrow of the subject. Christ did really, literally, and truly, take the sins that belonged to all who do believe on him, and those sins did actually and in very deed become his sins; (not that he had committed them, nor that he had any part or lot in them, except through the imputation to which he had consented, and for which he came in to the world,) and there lay the sins of all his people upon Christ's shoulders.

Thank our loving Father for this truth. What a comfort to people such as myself.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Jesus Only

WE CANNOT TOO OFTEN or too plainly tell the seeking soul that his only hope for salvation lies in the Lord Jesus Christ. It lies in him completely, only, and alone. To save both from the guilt and the power of sin, Jesus is all-sufficient. His name is called Jesus, because "he shall save his people from their sins." "The Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins." He is exalted on high "to give repentance and remission of sins." It pleased God from of old to devise a method of salvation which should be all contained in his only-begotten Son. The Lord Jesus, for the working out of this salvation, became man, and being found in fashion as a man, became obedient to death, even the death of the cross. If another way of deliverance had been possible, the cup of bitterness would have passed from him. It stands to reason that the darling of heaven would not have died to save us if we could have been rescued at less expense.

full message here