• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Way of the Hanifs

dsaly1969

In this age of the decline of organized religion in the West, I am a Hanif who follows the ancient, simple faith of Abraham which predates all of the complications created by the establishments of later Abrahamic religious traditions including Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and the Baha’i Faith. I believe in pure monotheism (tawheed), that there is only one God, and that we should not set up equals or partners with God (shirk). The sin of shirk includes ascribing divine qualities such as infallibility or inerrancy to anything besides God, including, but not limited to, human beings (including “prophets and Messengers”), books (such as “scriptures”), sects, traditions, leaders, dogmas, and institutions. This tendency of organized religions to commit shirk is the primary reason they have become infected with literalism, fundamentalism, extremism, dogmatism, intolerance, and the inability to evolve ideas and teachings with new discoveries, social understandings, and scientific findings.

There are few rules and restrictions in the Hanifan Path as compared with the Abrahamic religions. The Hanifan Path promotes: 1) declaring oneself to be a Hanif, 2) twice daily prayer in the morning upon arising and in the evening before retiring, 3) sincere repentance by asking for forgiveness from God and from those we have harmed and working on changing how we behave, 4) giving charity and assistance to those in need, and 5) acting in daily life towards oneself and others as if one sees God everywhere, and although one cannot literally see God, one undoubtedly believes that God is constantly watching over them. Hanifs believe that God is far more concerned about what people actually do versus what they claim to believe; therefore, Hanifs believe that the righteous of all peoples and faiths will be rewarded for their good deeds.

I developed a daily prayer for the morning and evening based upon the prayer practices and the information that we have about Abraham from the established Abrahamic religions.

The Daily Prayer of a Hanif

Stand up, and facing East, say:

“Who can be better in religion than one who submits his whole self to God, does good, and follows the way of Abraham the true in Faith? My Lord, make this a Place of Peace, and feed its people with fruits, such of them as believe in God and the Last Day. My Lord! Make me one of those who submit to You, and of my progeny a people who submit, bowing to Your Will; and turn unto us in Mercy for You are the Most Merciful.”

Bend down, with hands resting on the knees, and say:

“Exalted are You above my praise and the praise of anyone beside me, above my description and the description of all who are in heaven and all who are on earth!”

Then, stand with open hands, palms upward toward the face, and say:

“Disappoint not, O my God, him that has, with beseeching fingers, clung to Your mercy and Your grace! Your forgiveness has emboldened me, and Your mercy has strengthened me, and Your call has awakened me, and Your grace has raised me up and led me unto You.”

“My Lord! Bestow knowledge on me, and join me with the righteous. And grant me an honorable mention in later generations. And make me one of the inheritors of the Paradise of Delight.”

Sit down on a chair, put hands on one’s knees, and bow low at the waist with elbows turned outward, and say three times:

“Greater is God than every great one!”

Rise and sit upright in the chair, and say:

“I bear witness to Your unity and Your oneness, and that You are God, and that there is no other God beside You. Our Lord! Accept this service from us for You are the All-Hearing, the All-knowing.”

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Salam/Hello

Where did you get the idea to call it Hanif?
When did Abraham pbuh and those before him sit on a chair to pray?
Do you perform ablution before prayer?
Why only 2 prayers per day?

“Today I Have completed for you your religion and perfected my favor upon you and have chosen Islam as your Religion”(Quran: 5:3)

The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Whoever innovates something into this matter of ours which does not belong to it will have it rejected.

“I bear witness to Your unity and Your oneness, and that You are God, and that there is no other God beside You. Our Lord! Accept this service from us for You are the All-Hearing, the All-knowing.”

Will He accept given you've chosen to ignore clear guidance?

I will say with pure Monotheism, you're much closer to the truth than many I come across. What's your religious background?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Salam/Hello

Where did you get the idea to call it Hanif?
When did Abraham pbuh and those before him sit on a chair to pray?
Do you perform ablution before prayer?
Why only 2 prayers per day?

“Today I Have completed for you your religion and perfected my favor upon you and have chosen Islam as your Religion”(Quran: 5:3)

The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Whoever innovates something into this matter of ours which does not belong to it will have it rejected.

Will He accept given you've chosen to ignore clear guidance?

I will say with pure Monotheism, you're much closer to the truth than many I come across. What's your religious background?

This is dependent on accepting the Qur'an for what it claims. The Hanif may not believe this.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
This is dependent on accepting the Qur'an for what it claims. The Hanif may not believe this.
Yes I agree, it was just that the term Hanif comes from the Qur'an, though it may precede it? Hopefully we'll know more once the op replies.

dsaly1969

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Yes, Hanif is a term referenced in the Qur'an and was also historically used and also by scholars as a term for the pre-Islamic monotheists who believed themselves to be following the path of Abraham. Many Hanifs embraced Islam but not all (some were actually allied with the Quraysh - mostly due to political and economic reasons certainly - and were the enemies of the Muslims during the time of Muhammad). I have a LOT of respect for Islam but I do not accept the Qur'an and especially the Sunnah (Hadiths are particularly a concern for me) in the same way I do not accept the Bible or the Baha'i writings. I think the elevation of scriptures, traditions, and reported sayings (for example Hadiths) has arisen to the level of shirk. But that is the difference between a Hanif and a Muslim.

In terms of the prayer some of that is arbitrary. I have a back condition so added a chair modification as I am unable to fully prostrate. In terms of twice per day I find that effective. Hanif is not a path with a lot of rules and regulations.

Sakeenah

In this age of the decline of organized religion in the West, I am a Hanif who follows the ancient, simple faith of Abraham which predates all of the complications created by the establishments of later Abrahamic religious traditions including Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and the Baha’i Faith. I believe in pure monotheism (tawheed), that there is only one God, and that we should not set up equals or partners with God (shirk). The sin of shirk includes ascribing divine qualities such as infallibility or inerrancy to anything besides God, including, but not limited to, human beings (including “prophets and Messengers”), books (such as “scriptures”), sects, traditions, leaders, dogmas, and institutions. This tendency of organized religions to commit shirk is the primary reason they have become infected with literalism, fundamentalism, extremism, dogmatism, intolerance, and the inability to evolve ideas and teachings with new discoveries, social understandings, and scientific findings.

There are few rules and restrictions in the Hanifan Path as compared with the Abrahamic religions. The Hanifan Path promotes: 1) declaring oneself to be a Hanif, 2) twice daily prayer in the morning upon arising and in the evening before retiring, 3) sincere repentance by asking for forgiveness from God and from those we have harmed and working on changing how we behave, 4) giving charity and assistance to those in need, and 5) acting in daily life towards oneself and others as if one sees God everywhere, and although one cannot literally see God, one undoubtedly believes that God is constantly watching over them. Hanifs believe that God is far more concerned about what people actually do versus what they claim to believe; therefore, Hanifs believe that the righteous of all peoples and faiths will be rewarded for their good deeds.

I developed a daily prayer for the morning and evening based upon the prayer practices and the information that we have about Abraham from the established Abrahamic religions.

“Who can be better in religion than one who submits his whole self to God, does good, and follows the way of Abraham the true in Faith? My Lord, make this a Place of Peace, and feed its people with fruits, such of them as believe in God and the Last Day. My Lord! Make me one of those who submit to You, and of my progeny a people who submit, bowing to Your Will; and turn unto us in Mercy for You are the Most Merciful.”

Bend down, with hands resting on the knees, and say:

“Exalted are You above my praise and the praise of anyone beside me, above my description and the description of all who are in heaven and all who are on earth!”

“Disappoint not, O my God, him that has, with beseeching fingers, clung to Your mercy and Your grace! Your forgiveness has emboldened me, and Your mercy has strengthened me, and Your call has awakened me, and Your grace has raised me up and led me unto You.”

“My Lord! Bestow knowledge on me, and join me with the righteous. And grant me an honorable mention in later generations. And make me one of the inheritors of the Paradise of Delight.”

Sit down on a chair, put hands on one’s knees, and bow low at the waist with elbows turned outward, and say three times:

“Greater is God than every great one!”

Interesting, I've noticed that your daily prayers contain verses from the Quran. Is there a reason why you don't accept the Quran but use Quran verses in your daily prayer?

dsaly1969

I have a lot of respect and honor for the Qur'an. I do not have a problem with the Qur'an as a book. I simply think ascribing inerrancy or infallibility to any text is problematic. At the same I do not think that only Hanifs are "saved". Many Muslims, Baha'is, Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, etc. are more spiritually advanced than I. You will note this prayer not only contains quotes from the Qur'an that were attributed to Abraham but also portions from the daily obligatory prayers of the Baha'is. I used whatever seems to be consistent with the Hanif.

dsaly1969

I've updated my Daily Prayer to make it simpler and not borrow as much from other Abrahamic sources.

I developed a daily prayer for the morning and evening based upon the prayer practices and the information that we have about Abraham from the established Abrahamic religions. It is best to have prepared yourself for prayer by having washed your hands and face and brushed your teeth beforehand.

“O God. You reward those who submit to You, believe in the Last Day, and do good. My Lord! Make me one of those who submit to You, and turn to You for Mercy for You are the Most Merciful.”

Bend down, with hands resting on the knees, and say three times:

“My Lord, praise be to You!”

“I cling to Your mercy and Your grace! Please show forgiveness and mercy to me as I show the same to others. My Lord, accept my prayer!

Prostrate on the floor with your forehead, nose, palms of both hands, your knees, and toes all touching the floor. If one is physically unable to do this, one can prostrate in a chair by bowing at the waist with head facing the floor and elbows and arms turned outwards. Then recite silently: "May Your Will, not my will, be done!” three times.

Rise and sit upright, and say:

“I bear witness to Your unity and Your oneness, and that You are God, and that there is no other God beside You. My Lord! Accept this service from me for You are the All-Hearing, the All-knowing. Praise be to God, Lord of the Worlds.”