• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Walls of Jericho

Awoon

Did the walls literally fall down or were there enough spies in town to open the gates from the inside?

Awoon

It actually is.

Nothing can literally fall down if it did not happen.

Spies open the gates :facepalm:

Sure it can, just read the story. Colorful language be the ancients. The wall fell down or the spies in a wooden horse on the inside. Either way the Israelites on the outside went inside, according to the writings in Joshua.

outhouse

Atheistically
The wall fell down or the spies in a wooden horse on the inside. Either way the Israelites on the outside went inside.

Heres the deal.

Wall of Jericho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The events of the account are suggested to be dated at around 1400 BC

That's according to Joshua :facepalm:

Israelites did not even exist at that time.

They did not find substantial evidence for renewed occupation in the late Bronze Age at the time of Joshua

No one lived there in the time of Joshua

The Wall of Jericho is a Pre-Pottery Neolithic A (PPNA) defensive or flood protection wall suggested to date to approximately 8000 BC.[1]

So no Israelites at any time had anything to do with these walls.

rusra02

Premium Member
Did the walls literally fall down or were there enough spies in town to open the gates from the inside?

Hebrews 11:30 says; "By faith the walls of Jer′i·cho fell down after the people had marched around them for seven days." I believe their obedience to God's instructions led God to flatten Jericho's walls. That Jehovah did this miraculously is evident from the fact that the wall section where Rahab resided remained standing, thus sparing her life and that of her family.(Joshua 6:22,23)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
It was probably just termites.
No. It were the Semites :sarcastic. Which brings us back to the original question in the OP... did they literally make the walls fall by blowing their horns, or was it an exciting literary piece used by the Hebrew scribes who passed the tradition?
I guess we're back to square one! Still I have to admit, the idea of knocking down the walls by blowing horns as a symbolism for the power of the God of the Israelites, to actually be a metaphor for something more soldierly and pragmatic such as sending infiltrators to open the city's gates is pretty exciting.

Disclaimer: To the two predictable opposing sides who trumpet either the literalism of the narrative, or the fact that its entirely fictional. YOU'RE NO FUN. And you are missing a point, or rather a chance to develop this into something interesting.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
. YOU'RE NO FUN. .

Careful what you wish for ;)

Sometimes finding the true source of mythology isnt as fun as one would think.

If you had a opinion, your wlecome to share. Id like to learn more about this side. So far no one has even dug deep enough to peak my interest.

As far as I can tell its to promote Yahweh Saboath's power, while building a history for a multi cultural people who had no idea of their real history, it had been wiped out so many times.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Careful what you wish for ;)

Sometimes finding the true source of mythology isnt as fun as one would think.

If you had a opinion, your wlecome to share. Id like to learn more about this side. So far no one has even dug deep enough to peak my interest.

As far as I can tell its to promote Yahweh Saboath's power, while building a history for a multi cultural people who had no idea of their real history, it had been wiped out so many times.
I think there is at least one assumption built into each of your sentences above. But I'll just say that if you are not interested in mythology/religious literature or rather its sources, then this and probably hundreds of other threads you've commented in suggest a case of masochism?
I'm actually quite fond of finding the origins and inspiration of various myths and what these tell us about the people who articulated the stories.