• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Vengeful Side of Sekhmet

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Taken from wepwawet.org

In the legend of Ra and Hathor, Sekhmet was released by Ra to slay humans who were plotting against him. Made intoxicated by blood lust, she would have destroyed all of mankind if Ra had not taken pity on us. He tricked her by dyeing beer blood-red with pomegranate juice which she drank believing it to be human blood, and became drunk. She soon forgot her anger and we were saved from destruction

And here's a nice youtube video, though not quite accurate to the myth...

[youtube]RDlfHTx-c0A[/youtube]
YouTube - The Eye of Ra: How Sekhmet Became Hathor

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Along with Her vengeful side is a very compassionate side as well. It is for this reason that I ask Her to help me work with my own vengeful side so that I may become more pasive and not want to destroy those who probably need destroying.

Rainbow Mage

Well Sekhmet learned a lesson and overcame her vengeful side in the myth of the return of the wandering goddess. When Hathor remembered how her father had tricked her as Sekhmet. She now strives for justice.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
There are other Myths at that site as well. One of them has even brought a tear to my eye as I visualized the beauty and grace of Isis. :)

Rainbow Mage

Which myth was that? The myth I most remember regarding Aset is the myth of how she learned Ra's secret name. She made a snake and it bit him, and she told him she'd cure him if he told her his secret name, since only she could reverse the magic of the serpent she'd made. She is very cunning and clever, and hence her name The Lady of Magic.