• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Veil

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It is often stated that during this time of year in reference to Halloween/Samhain that the veil is at it's thinnest. Meaning that we can more easily interact with and gain assistance or hindrance from the Beings of the Other side, and it is a good time for divination and magick.

My question is, when exactly does this event take place? When is the veil thinnest, so workings can be done? Is it the date of Halloween (31), or Nov 1st (All Hallows Day)? Or does something else align/happen to let us know when this takes place?

How do we/you measure it.

Viker

Häxan
Traditionally, it's supposed to begin at the middle point between the Fall equinox and Winter solstice. October 31 is about that point and dusk is usually the agreed upon beginning of the festivities.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Traditionally, it's supposed to begin at the middle point between the Fall equinox and Winter solstice. October 31 is about that point and dusk is usually the agreed upon beginning of the festivities.

Is this measured astrologically via the Moon or the Sun?

I ask because I follow a solar cycle, and for me the midway actually falls on a different date then the traditional agreed upon day.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd go based on what the experiences in your own tradition speak to.

Astronomically speaking, the midpoint between Autumn Equinox and Winter Solstice is roughly around November 7th. I use astronomical cross-quarter dates for all of my cross-quarter holidays.

Whether or not there's something to the thinning of the veil (or the veil in general) is an interesting topic of discussion in of itself too.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Astronomically speaking, the midpoint between Autumn Equinox and Winter Solstice is roughly around November 7th. I use astronomical cross-quarter dates for all of my cross-quarter holidays.

Yes, this is what I do. I use the astronomical alignment. Which as you said is the 7th this year. It also happens to be the first full moon of Nov. I haven't checked if that a regular occurrence (cross quarters on full moons).

Whether or not there's something to the thinning of the veil (or the veil in general) is an interesting topic of discussion in of itself too.

That is true it is an interesting topic in itself. I suspect so from personal experiences. I've always looked at Samhain and Beltane as both liminal periods with a thinner veil then other times.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
In my personal experience over the years as a psychic medium, the spirit activity begins to increase roughly a week (give or take a few days) before All Hallows' Eve (rising dramatically on this day, continuing on Nov. 1st and 2nd), and then it gradually returns to normal, not quite a week afterwards. I've also noticed that one year's spirit activity can be more intense than the year prior or the year after.