• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Value of Reading Things We Disagree with

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Just found this in my wanderings -

Reading has always had a central and prestigious place in our understanding of how we can develop our minds. The more we read, we’re told, the cleverer we stand to be. We need to read because we can’t do it all by ourselves; the fundamental point of reading is to acquire the good ideas of other people. However true this might be, we can nevertheless point to another, perhaps less familiar purpose to reading that is as important in terms of developing our minds: reading provides us with a superlative occasion on which to unearth and put into focus what we happen to think. It’s through contact with the books of others that we are sometimes best able to come to a clearer sense of our perspectives and ideas. The words of someone else can powerfully draw out our hitherto hesitant and disjointed notions; it is contact with another’s intelligence that may bring our own into new relief.

For the full article - click below here -

The Value of Reading Things We Disagree with - The Book of Life

Also check-out their menus - looks a huge site - yet 2 fully explore it meself :)

All the best!

:)

dianaiad

Y'know, you are preaching to the choir here. If the folks posting on RF didn't like reading (and arguing with) folks we disagree with, we would'nt BE here. ;)

On the other hand, I find it more fun to be the one everybody disagrees with......

dianaiad

If only that would happen to me....

That's easy.

In here?

Be on the side of conservatives, pro-life and skeptical of climate change that has never happened before and that humans are entirely responsible for and that will cause us all to suffocate to death in twelve years. Or thirty eight.

..........or here's another one: don't apologize for America and when someone from somewhere else attacks her, defend her.

I guarantee you that you will get all sorts of flak.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
That's easy.

In here?

Be on the side of conservatives, pro-life and skeptical of climate change that has never happened before and that humans are entirely responsible for and that will cause us all to suffocate to death in twelve years. Or thirty eight.

..........or here's another one: don't apologize for America and when someone from somewhere else attacks her, defend her.

I guarantee you that you will get all sorts of flak.

I guess you're not familiar with my work....just sayin'.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Y'know, you are preaching to the choir here. If the folks posting on RF didn't like reading (and arguing with) folks we disagree with, we would'nt BE here. ;)

On the other hand, I find it more fun to be the one everybody disagrees with......

Whatever floats your boat!

I thought this forum would be full of heated arguments between know-it-all atheists & know-it-all spiritual people but I have been pleasantly surprised quite a few times :)

All the best

dianaiad

Whatever floats your boat!

I thought this forum would be full of heated arguments between know-it-all atheists & know-it-all spiritual people but I have been pleasantly surprised quite a few times :)

All the best

(grin)

Well, I've found that in RF I don't get a whole bunch of 'know it all atheists' who land all over me. At least, not often, and not anybody whose posts I still see. ;)

I get guff over other stuff; politics, mostly.

I think....it's because when some atheist comes all over grumpy about how I can't prove, empirically, that God exists, I agree. I can't.

.............so where does the grumpy atheist go from there?

But they can always get a rise out of me with politics. Or about America and how awful everybody thinks she is.

Yeah, I can get, er, exercised about that stuff.