• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Unclean Woman

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Ok, so the next question would be, why does God require such strict measures? Cleanliness and 'wholeness' are obviously recommended for personal wellbeing but why or how would being un-whole or unclean affect one's worship?

As I said in my last post, I don't know if the restrictions came from God or not. And I don't know if any of the conditions that would render one as unclean would negatively affect one's worship. To the best of my knowledge, the Jewish restrictions do not prevent somebody from praying or worshiping; they were primarily concerned with Temple rituals.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
As I said in my last post, I don't know if the restrictions came from God or not. And I don't know if any of the conditions that would render one as unclean would negatively affect one's worship. To the best of my knowledge, the Jewish restrictions do not prevent somebody from praying or worshiping; they were primarily concerned with Temple rituals.

Cultures sanctify liminality. They evolve ritual to facilitate passage and reintegration and then infuse those rituals with religious content.

horizon_mj1

IMO it is fear from men who made these religions; the way I see it, a women having the ability to have children are closer in respect to the Creator; men see this and fear that women can have a more in-depth relationship with the Divine, thus must find ways to stop this from happening. Maybe this is not so in all cases, but being there seems to be no other logical explanation, it is one I tend to believe.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
It seems to me that the answer is simple: these religions were created by men and for men, and women were given a spiritual handicap to prevent them from ever gaining status or power.

that doesnt really ring true in view of the fact that the men also had their own impurity laws governing their own emissions. If a man engaged in sexual relations, he was unclean and could not attend the temple ceremonies for 24 hours

and even if he had an involuntary emission during his sleep, which is very normal, he was unclean until the evening meaning he would not be able to participate in the temple services for that day.

So if men created the menstruation laws to give women a spiritual handicap, then they did the same to themselves.