• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trump Hush-Money Trial and the Jury Dilemma

To be a juror in a case that finds Trump guilty beyond a reasonable doubt ...

• ... is likely safe

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • ... is likely dangerous

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Sadly, I had to choose the "likely dangerous" option. I truly think that Trump's die-hard, MAGA base is largely composed of America's least rational population, and the probability of doxxing seems just too high, to me.

But I still agree with @Revoltingest, that it is a thing worth doing, and therefore worth taking the risk. Cowardice will not keep the nation safe.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Sadly, I had to choose the "likely dangerous" option. I truly think that Trump's die-hard, MAGA base is largely composed of America's least rational population, and the probability of doxxing seems just too high, to me.

But I still agree with @Revoltingest, that it is a thing worth doing, and therefore worth taking the risk. Cowardice will not keep the nation safe.
I don’t think even the die hard Trump cult will risk going after jurors. The one’s who do act attack symbols like the FBI. They seem more interested in causing fear, which is domestic terrorism.

If there is a bigger risk it will come as the trial proceeds and reports are released to the public. FOX and other right wing media will inflame the testimony. This could be the basis for a Trump nut to sacrifice himself to save Trump from conviction.

This is way beyond any mafia threat. Trump has millions of followers who can’t be trusted, and may act covertly. I really expect threats to increase and police will need to provide security to all jurors, perhaps even after the trial.

Like I said any attacks on jurors won’t affect his base but will surely turn off undecided voters. Trump is in a risky, no-win situation. He is too disturbed to care if anyone is harmed, and if his followers do more violence.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don’t think even the die hard Trump cult will risk going after jurors. The one’s who do act attack symbols like the FBI. They seem more interested in causing fear, which is domestic terrorism.

If there is a bigger risk it will come as the trial proceeds and reports are released to the public. FOX and other right wing media will inflame the testimony. This could be the basis for a Trump nut to sacrifice himself to save Trump from conviction.

This is way beyond any mafia threat. Trump has millions of followers who can’t be trusted, and may act covertly. I really expect threats to increase and police will need to provide security to all jurors, perhaps even after the trial.

Like I said any attacks on jurors won’t affect his base but will surely turn off undecided voters. Trump is in a risky, no-win situation. He is too disturbed to care if anyone is harmed, and if his followers do more violence.
Watching him at speeches I see far more errors than he made just four years ago. I think that he is suffering from early dementia and the stress he is under is only making it worse. He used to be able to ramble and keep his footing, but now he often just trails off into incoherent noise.

The polls are flipping to as the people in the middle are beginning to see this. Trumpistas would vote for Trump even if he could no longer speak. People like me would vote against him regardless of which Democrat would be put up in opposition. Neither of us are the ones that campaigns are aimed at. Right now Biden has a clear message and Trump is only working on a weird nostalgia.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The poll was entirely too vague and forced a choice that I could not subscribe to. Dangerous to what level? Poll missing "I don't know enough".

For example, in order to answer the question factually, I would have to review all the measures taken which I've just searched for and found this:

Among the measures Kaplan said he'd have in place are barring prospective jurors' names, addresses and workplaces from being mentioned during jury selection and ordering lunch to be brought to the jurors inside the courthouse. He also said the jurors must be transported in groups daily to and from the courthouse from undisclosed locations Judge in civil rape case against Trump will use anonymous jury, citing risk of juror harassment

And a prior Trump jury was anonymous and AFAIK that held as it has for criminals who might have people killed.

So at the "end of the day" my vote is very probably safe based on history but like everything subject to a small degree of risk. This is, of course, unsatisfying to the black/white OP question.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
At any rate if they seat the five needed alternates today, they already have one, will the trial itself start on Monday? I wonder how long this can go. How much evidence is needed to convict Trump? What sort of defense can be mounted? Trump might be able to go to Baron's graduation after all.
I have served on a jury that resulted in a 9/3 split. I hope the prosecutors do a better job on this case. What my experience had to work with was a lot of "traffic circle" presentation, never taking an exit to get to the destination! I hope they don't bore the jury to distraction -- state the facts that apply to the law in question, and pound them home!

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I think somebody just set themselves on fire outside the courtroom.

Details are very unclear at this time. The person, being describe as a man but even that is unclear, apparently dosed themselves with accelerate and set themselves on fire. I have not heard yet if this person said anything or carried any kind of sign. The fire was put out and the person has been taken to the hospital, apparently alive but certainly sustained life threatening burns.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think somebody just set themselves on fire outside the courtroom.

Details are very unclear at this time. The person, being describe as a man but even that is unclear, apparently dosed themselves with accelerate and set themselves on fire. I have not heard yet if this person said anything or carried any kind of sign. The fire was put out and the person has been taken to the hospital, apparently alive but certainly sustained life threatening burns.
Another Darwin award contestant.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
It appears to have been a deeply disturbed Trump supporter.
As far as I can tell we don't know that yet. He might have been a Trump supporter, he might have been targeting Trump supporters, or this might not have had anything to do with Trump at all. It is possible that this is just a disturbed individual who wanted attention and this was a time and place to get it. We don't know.

We do know that the threw a bunch of pamphlets in the air that I have heard were a bunch of conspiracy theories about ponzi schemes.

This guy has got a long painful recovery ahead of him if he lives, and I wish him luck.

Clizby Wampuscat

As far as I can tell we don't know that yet. He might have been a Trump supporter, he might have been targeting Trump supporters, or this might not have had anything to do with Trump at all. It is possible that this is just a disturbed individual who wanted attention and this was a time and place to get it. We don't know.

We do know that the threw a bunch of pamphlets in the air that I have heard were a bunch of conspiracy theories about ponzi schemes.

This guy has got a long painful recovery ahead of him if he lives, and I wish him luck.
Of course there is a manifesto:

JIMMY12345

Please imagine yourself a prospective juror and answer the poll question.
I support Trump on this one.If he had an affair with Stormy Daniels that is his business.If he did not that's his business.The fact he paid hush money is no proof he had an affair.On Wall Street many people including evangelicals have affairs,get divorced multiple times and meet with prostitutes.

Trouble is legally it is cheaper to settle these cases.How one does the bookkeeping is no big deal.A lot of people have said Trump looks beat and exhausted -which might be the whole idea.

Both Democrats and Republicans have leaders caught with their pants down

Why is this trial coming out now? before election time.

If Trump,Ms Marjorie Taylor Greene etc are going to be criticized it should be for the substantial eg kneeling to Putin over Ukraine.The money USA sends means Russia burns up arms and money.Its threat is reduced.We need to be watchful for sleepers who wake to espouse the Russian agenda.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I support Trump on this one.If he had an affair with Stormy Daniels that is his business.If he did not that's his business.The fact he paid hush money is no proof he had an affair.On Wall Street many people including evangelicals have affairs,get divorced multiple times and meet with prostitutes.

Trouble is legally it is cheaper to settle these cases.How one does the bookkeeping is no big deal.A lot of people have said Trump looks beat and exhausted -which might be the whole idea.

Both Democrats and Republicans have leaders caught with their pants down

Why is this trial coming out now? before election time.

If Trump,Ms Marjorie Taylor Greene etc are going to be criticized it should be for the substantial eg kneeling to Putin over Ukraine.The money USA sends means Russia burns up arms and money.Its threat is reduced.We need to be watchful for sleepers who wake to espouse the Russian agenda.
You are ignoring the tax fraud and campaign finance laws involved.