• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The true test of a religion

ajay0

The op is insightful.

The sufi sect of Islam, which is noted for its liberalism and tolerance, have Mullah Nasruddin jokes which are world famous.

Laughter and humour is also encouraged in zen as it is said to bring about a meditative state or no-mind easily and the cessation of thought. Laughing Buddha statues are popular all over the world.

Jedster

The op is insightful.

The sufi sect of Islam, which is noted for its liberalism and tolerance, have Mullah Nasruddin jokes which are world famous.

Laughter and humour is also encouraged in zen as it is said to bring about a meditative state or no-mind easily and the cessation of thought. Laughing Buddha statues are popular all over the world.

Thanks for that I had forgotten the first Mullah Nasruddin story I read:

@Fool may like this

The great Sufi master Mullah Nasruddin was on his hands and knees searching for something under a streetlamp. A man saw him and asked, "What are you looking for?" "My house key," Nasruddin replied. "I lost it." The man joined him in looking for the key, and after a period of fruitless searching, the man asked, "Are you sure you lost it around here?" Nasruddin replied, "Oh, I didn't lose it around here. I lost it over there, by my house." "Then why," the man asked, "are you looking for it over here?" "Because," Nasruddin said, "The light is so much better over here."

Taken from World Religion: Mullah Nasruddin and the Lost Keys
Some interesting comments in the link.

syo

I vaguely remember read a quote along these lines:

The true test of a good religion is whether you can make a joke about it.

What do you think? Does God have a sense-of-humour? If so, why are there so few gags in the Bible?
humour is god-sent. there was a priest i knew, he was using jokes to teach the teachings of the church.

Jason.D.King

When studying Adam and Eve - don't worry about the apple on the tree, focus on the pear (pair) on the ground. Now that was punny. hehe

pearl

The great Sufi master Mullah Nasruddin

The Search for the ***
Everyone became alarmed when they saw Mullah Nasruddin, astride his ***,
charging through the streets of the village.
"Where are you off to, Mullah?" they asked.
"I'm searching for my ***," said the mullah as he whizzed by.

The Zen master of Rinzai was once seen searching for his body. It provided endless entertainment to his unenlightened disciples.
de Mello