• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The True Religion of Jesus is jewish not Christianity

omari

why isn't the true religion of Jesus, as stated in the bible, the same as what many have associated his religion to be Christianity? according to bible Authority he was born king of the Jews (Matt 2:2 ), he kept Jewish customs such as the sabbath (st. Luke 4:16) and the passover (Matt. 26:17-19)just to name a few. it is also stated that he was sent to the lost sheep of the house of Israel (Matt. 15:24).The house of Israel is Jewish; and the bible clearly states that he was sent unto his own st John 1:11, therefore his religion is Jewish and not another.

Oberon

In short, Jesus began a particular sect of Judaism. That sect was eventually called Christianity by its followers, after the title they gave their founder. Although initially followers of this sect continued to identify themselves as Jews, eventually the gulf widened to such a degree that the two were considered two seperate religions. If it makes you feel better, you could still consider Christianity a sect of Judaism.

J Bryson

Christianity is totally a sect of Judaism. Jesus was a bit of an early Reform Jew, from what I can tell.

Jesus couldn't have been a Christian, because He founded Christianity. Yes He was Jewish, but the messages He preached are messages of Christianity.

MaeDha

TheCatholic
When good Jews pass I believe they go to heaven along with the rest of the good people of the world. Essentially we [being Christians and Jews] believe in the same God and if we are going by this thread Jesus was a Jew who taught Christian beliefs, so really shouldn't we all end up in the same place? Well that's how it works for me, I know that isn't the typical Christian view, but?! Anyone with actual knowledge/evidence wish to answer, this one has me stumped and I am VERY intrigued as to where the Jews would go in the eyes of a Christian.

When good Jews pass I believe they go to heaven along with the rest of the good people of the world. Essentially we [being Christians and Jews] believe in the same God and if we are going by this thread Jesus was a Jew who taught Christian beliefs, so really shouldn't we all end up in the same place? Well that's how it works for me, I know that isn't the typical Christian view, but?! Anyone with actual knowledge/evidence wish to answer, this one has me stumped and I am VERY intrigued as to where the Jews would go in the eyes of a Christian.

Jesus did say " I am the way,the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me". I take that to mean that to go to Heaven, where the Father is, you must believe that Jesus was the Messiah, which most Jews barring Messianic Jews do not.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Yes Jesus was Jewish it was his followers that were first called Christians......Christians are named after Christ. It didn't change what religion Jesus was it was just the name given to the gentiles that were His followers.....;)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Yes, but messages like the "turn your cheek" passage had never been preached before.

I urge you to look into early Jewish sages, such as Rabbi Hillel, who said:

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn."

Sounds familiar?

Oberon

I urge you to look into early Jewish sages, such as Rabbi Hillel, who said:

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn."

I forget who first pointed out the distinction, so I cannot give credit where it is due here. However, Hillel's exhortation is framed in the negative (i.e. do not do what you would not have done to you). While admirable, this is not quite as radical as Jesus asking his followers to do for others what they would want for themselves. One of these commandements asks followers to refrain from unwanted behavior, the other asks for a commitment to positive behavior. There is an important distinction.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I forget who first pointed out the distinction, so I cannot give credit where it is due here. However, Hillel's exhortation is framed in the negative (i.e. do not do what you would not have done to you). While admirable, this is not quite as radical as Jesus asking his followers to do for others what they would want for themselves. One of these commandements asks followers to refrain from unwanted behavior, the other asks for a commitment to positive behavior. There is an important distinction.
I never said that Jesus might not have had substance of his own, but that his Jewish background is the evident source of his teachings.
further more even your example for a golden rule can be found in the 1st century world (for example in Rome):

Seneca: "Treat your inferiors as you would be treated by your superiors,"

Jesus: "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."

This parable of Jesus is undeniable presaged by the Jewish sages who were the forefathers of the Talmud and the Mishna.

~Rabbi Hillel

Oberon

I never said that Jesus might not have had substance of his own, but that his Jewish background is the evident source of his teachings.

I never said that his Jewish background wasn't evident. As a matter of fact, I specifically noted earlier in this thread that Jesus WAS Jewish, as were his early followers, and that Christianity could be considered a sect of Judiasm.

There are many ideas Jesus espoused which have parallels elsewhere. However, in many ways his teachings were also unique. I have already noted the importance of the switch from Hillel's negative exhortation to a positive one. Also, the idea of "loving enemies" was radical and went against commonly held beliefs of both Jews and Greeks. Jesus also went beyond all of his contemporaries in prohibiting divorce. The list goes on.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I never said that his Jewish background wasn't evident. As a matter of fact, I specifically noted earlier in this thread that Jesus WAS Jewish, as were his early followers, and that Christianity could be considered a sect of Judiasm.

There are many ideas Jesus espoused which have parallels elsewhere. However, in many ways his teachings were also unique. I have already noted the importance of the switch from Hillel's negative exhortation to a positive one. Also, the idea of "loving enemies" was radical and went against commonly held beliefs of both Jews and Greeks. Jesus also went beyond all of his contemporaries in prohibiting divorce. The list goes on.
well then, you are fighting windmills. I never addressed your original posts, you addressed mine.