• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The True Name of God

IAM4YHWH

Yahweh Nissi (My Banner)
it can give because it was redacted to

but there is no debate at all that early hebrews worshipped a family of gods, El, Baal and Asherah as well as Yahweh

I believe our Heavenly Father and Creator's Name was substituted with mere titles such a El, Eloah, Elohim, Adon, Adoai, Baal, Baalim and in turn "GOD [GAD]" and "the LORD (BAAL)".

As for your saying "but there is no debate at all that early hebrews worshipped a family of gods, El, Baal and Asherah as well as Yahweh.", these people, (not only "early" and "Hebrew", but the "later" and "other peoples") erroneously worshiped "idols, deities, gods" that had no power whatsoever. For anyone to worship Yahweh along with "idols, deities, gods", they would be erroneously worshiping Yahweh and certainly not in spirit and in truth.

Note that they erroneously worshiped an idol (image) golden calf as if it were Yahweh:

Yea, when they had made them a molten calf, and said, This [is] thy God that brought thee up out of Egypt, and had wrought great provocations; ... [KJV] (Nehemyah 9:18).

BAAL GAD (LORD GOD)

THE NAME YAHWEH

LET US MAKE MAN IN OUR IMAGE

Last edited:

shawn001

I believe our Heavenly Father and Creator's Name was substituted with mere titles such a El, Eloah, Elohim, Adon, Adoai, Baal, Baalim and in turn "GOD [GAD]" and "the LORD (BAAL)".

As for your saying "but there is no debate at all that early hebrews worshipped a family of gods, El, Baal and Asherah as well as Yahweh.", these people, (not only "early" and "Hebrew", but the "later" and "other peoples") erroneously worshiped "idols, deities, gods" that had no power whatsoever. For anyone to worship Yahweh along with "idols, deities, gods", they would be erroneously worshiping Yahweh and certainly not in spirit and in truth.

Note that they erroneously worshiped an idol (image) golden calf as if it were Yahweh:

Yea, when they had made them a molten calf, and said, This [is] thy God that brought thee up out of Egypt, and had wrought great provocations; ... [KJV] (Nehemyah 9:18).

BAAL GAD (LORD GOD)

THE NAME YAHWEH

William Dever, Professor Emeritus at the University of Arizona, has investigated the archeology of the ancient Near East for more than 30 years and authored almost as many books on the subject. In the following interview, Dever describes some of the most significant archeological finds related to the Hebrew Bible, including his own hot-button discovery that the Israelites' God was linked to a female goddess called Asherah.

Thousands of clay figurines like this one suggest that the early Israelites worshipped more than a single God. Enlarge

NOVA | Archeology of the Hebrew Bible

Abraham came from the sumerian city of UR.

The sumerian creation account.

Initial state of the earth- Chaos; enveloped in darkness.

First development- Light created.

Next development-Firmament created; also perceived as a rigid dome.

Next development-Dry land created.

Next development-Sun, moon, stars created.

Next development-Creation of men and women.

Final development-Gods rest and celebrate.

Comparing the Genesis and Babylonian stories of creation

One of the first attempts at monotheism was Zoroastrianism in the 6th cent. BC, which has a lot of similairites to Judaism and Christanity.

InChrist

Free4ever
God has revealed Himself to humanity through the scriptures by many names and titles which describe who He is and demonstrate His attributes. In the OT He is called the God if Israel 203 times, along with calling Himself the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. In the NT the name of Jesus Christ is revealed as the the name above all names, the name by which all must be saved, and the name to which every knee will one day bow.

IAM4YHWH

Yahweh Nissi (My Banner)
Shawn001,

The title of this thread is "The True Name (not names [plural]) of God (not gods [plural])." I can only conclude that it all depends to which so-called "God" you are giving reference to. I myself never give reference to Father Yahweh by addressing Him as a mere "God".

InChrist,

"Jesus" is a translation of our Heavenly Father and Creator's son's name and not our Heavenly Father and Creator's Own Name. The Name Yahweh would be above that of the name that He gave His son. The name that He gave to His son means and signifies that Father Yahweh is our Supreme Redeemer, since it means 'Yahweh is Redeemer'. His son is also known as our redeemer, since His son clearly made it known that he had been given ALL power (authority) in heaven and in the earth by his and our Father Yahweh, and this ALL power (authority) most certainly included the power (authority) to redeem mankind from sin and death.

BAAL GAD (LORD GOD)

THE NAME YAHWEH

Last edited:

F0uad

There is no El in Allah(swt) so how did you come up with this? Nor is it derived of Al-Lah

outhouse

Atheistically

BAAL GAD (LORD GOD)

THE NAME YAHWEH

belief is fine is history doesnt say the exact opposite :facepalm:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The real question of this thread is: "How deep can you screw in the corncob?"

It matters not one little bit what we call God. Any language about God is necessarily metaphor -- it's descriptive and not definitive. We could call God "The Octagon," "James Westfall," or "Dr. Kenneth Noisewater," for all the difference it would make to God.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Thanks friend IAM4YJWH for reviving this old thread.
The True Name of God
Whatever be the word used it is t be understood that that word is simply a label. Label for an understanding. Understanding that IT IS something that includes everything including yourself.
Till understanding remains that all words are LABELS!

Love & rgds

IAM4YHWH

Yahweh Nissi (My Banner)

It matters not one little bit what we call God. Any language about God is necessarily metaphor -- it's descriptive and not definitive. We could call God "The Octagon," "James Westfall," or "Dr. Kenneth Noisewater," for all the difference it would make to God.

I am speaking in accordance with what is taught in Scripture and nowhere in Scripture does it ever say or teach that our Heavenly Father and Creator's Name is "The Octagon," "James Westfall," or "Dr. Kenneth Noisewater". It certainly does matter to our Heavenly Father and Creator what Name He is to be called by. This is why His Name is made known as being set apart ("holy, sacred, hallowed") and is mentioned some 7.000 times in Scripture.

This simple reasoning also can be applied to what name you choose to be called by and it is quite important to you. For example, if one to were to write out a check in the names "The Octagon," "James Westfall," or "Dr. Kenneth Noisewater" you certainly would be hard-hard pressed in cashing such a check written out in these names.

"Scripture teaches that we are to set apart ("hallow {make holy}, sanctify"), revere ("fear"), remember, think upon, wait upon, walk in, trust in, love, seek, declare (proclaim), bless, publish, call upon, sing unto, praise, esteem ("glorify"), make known ("manifest"), and know His Name."
SOURCE

Scripture teaches that Yahweh's Name is one, not two, three, seventy-two, or as many names as one wishes to address Him by. Scripture also teaches that there is NO OTHER NAME GIVEN among men whereby we must be redeemed and His son Yahshua came in that Name in that the name that his and our Father Yahweh GAVE to him means and signifies that Yahweh is our Supreme Redeemer. Scripture teaches "Blessed is he who comes in the Name Yahweh and the Psalmist Dawid also said that he had come in the Name Yahweh.

THE NAME YAHWEH

Last edited:

IAM4YHWH

Yahweh Nissi (My Banner)
Friends,
Thanks friend IAM4YJWH for reviving this old thread.

Whatever be the word used it is t be understood that that word is simply a label. Label for an understanding. Understanding that IT IS something that includes everything including yourself.

Love & rgds

Father Yahweh's Name is not simply a "label" or a "word" and not all words are "labels". There is no such rule saying "all words are labels" and the definition of the word 'label' certainly does not fit with your reasoning as such. The word 'name' has a completely different definition to the word 'label'. I am specifically speaking here of a NAME, not a "simple label". Names signify and distinguish one person, being or entity, from another and this is especially true in the Hebrew language.

The Name Yahweh

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie

Indeed.

"I will be what I will be" ;)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend IAM$YHWH,

Father Yahweh's Name is not simply a "label" or a "word" and not all words are "labels". There is no such rule saying "all words are labels" and the definition of the word 'label' certainly does not fit with your reasoning as such. The word 'name' has a completely different definition to the word 'label'. I am specifically speaking here of a NAME, not a "simple label". Names signify and distinguish one person, being or entity, from another and this is especially true in the Hebrew language.

Had mentioned:
Since there is no understanding between what mentioned above and your mind; words are important. If understanding had developed then only words are *labels*.

Love & rgds

F0uad

There is no El in Allah(swt) so how did you come up with this? Nor is it derived of Al-Lah

I will wait on the response...

Ps: Many Christians and jews who are arabic pronounce god also as Allah(swt)