• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Stories of Genesis: Myth or Literally True

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
This one has been round the block and more here at RF without doubt.

I've always assumed some of these stories to be myths, but I understand that many do not. So lets investigate three stories in particular.

(1) The story of creation in seven days as recorded in Genesis 1.
Should we take this as being literally true? If so how long ago did it all take place?

(2) The story Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden as recorded in Genesis 2 and Genesis 3.
Should we regard this as literally true? If not what is the significance of it all?

(3) The story of Noah building an Ark and the great flood as recorded in Genesis 6 - 9. Did this all actually happen or did the author of Genesis have something else in mind?

I've included this in the science and religion category so we could consider the scientific evidence that would support or refute either perspective.

Many people where I live (New Zealand) don't believe any of it, let alone being literally true. I don't live in the USA where many think differently.

I'm a Baha'i who believes in the same God, Bible, and Jesus as the Christians. I view some aspects of the Bible allegorically, whereas my Christian brothers and sisters might interpret literally.

Always happy to have a friendly chat about God's word with my coreligionists or atheists alike.:)

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
In regards to the first question regarding the creation of the earth there are a significant group of Christians that believe the earth to have been created less than 10,000 years ago. This is based on a literal interpretation of Genesis.

According to surveys conducted between 1982 and 2014, 40 - 47% of adults in the USA belief this to be true. That is a significant proportion of the population. How many on RF? Other than the bible what is the scientific basis for such a belief? I would be very interested to hear from any young earth creationists out there.

Young Earth creationism (YEC) is the religious belief that the Universe, Earth, and all life on Earth were created by direct acts of God less than 10,000 years ago. Its primary adherents are Christians who subscribe to a literal interpretation of the creation narrative in the Bible's Book of Genesis and believe that God created the Earth in six 24-hour days. In contrast to YEC, old Earth creationism is the belief in a metaphorical interpretation of the Book of Genesis and the scientifically-determined estimated ages of the Earth and Universe.

Since the mid-20th century, young Earth creationists—starting with
Henry Morris (1918–2006)—have devised and promoted a pseudoscientific explanation called "creation science" as a basis for a religious belief in a supernatural, geologically recent creation. Evidence from numerous scientific disciplines contradicts YEC, showing the age of the universe as 13.8 billion years, the formation of the Earth as at least 4.5 billion years ago, and the first appearance of life on Earth as occurring at least 3.5 billion years ago.

A 2009 poll by
Harris Interactive found that 39% of Americans agreed with the statement that "God created the universe, the earth, the sun, moon, stars, plants, animals, and the first two people within the past 10,000 years", yet only 18% of the Americans polled agreed with the statement "The earth is less than 10,000 years old".Between 1982 and 2014, successive surveys have found that between 40% and 47% of adults in the United States inclined to the view that "God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years" when Gallup asked for their views on the origin and development of human beings. A 2011 Gallup survey reports that 30% of U.S. adults say they interpret the Bible literally.

Young Earth creationism - Wikipedia

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well, I was watching a documentary and national geographic years ago about archeologist seemingly find Noah's Arch. Here are some "sightings" I just googled. In America, based on all the "searches" they seem to think biblical stories are literal. Likewise with the Garden of Eden. I don't have a t.v. anymore but when I saw it, it was quite interesting: Garden of Eden 1 and Garden of Eden 2 The Great Flood I believe could be when the earth was covered in water before earth emerged during the evolution/development of the planet crust and so forth. Many religious text have different stories related to the creation of man. I wouldn't consider the bible a historical book. Though, in America, they take it quite literally regardless.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Hello adrian009 and thanks for your post :)
Your introduction:

I've always assumed some of these stories to be myths, but I understand that many do not. So lets investigate three stories in particular.

Should we take this as being literally true? If so how long ago did it all take place?

(2) The story Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden as recorded in Genesis 2 and Genesis 3.
Should we regard this as literally true? If not what is the significance of it all?

(3) The story of Noah building an Ark and the great flood as recorded in Genesis 6 - 9. Did this all actually happen or did the author of Genesis have something else in mind?

Taking the numerous cultural myths of creation seriously is IMO just a question of the ability to find and connect the mythical texts and symbols to the correct celestial objects and motions. In the extends this happends, "myths" are real cosmological knowledge.

Short comments on:
1. IMO the biblical 7 days should be 7 stages or celestial spheres. IMO the real mening have been lost by the interpretation of the authors who haven´t had the direct "divine" visionary experience.
2. It should be taken litterary as the symbolistic telling of the Milky Way creation. Read more below.
3. The numerous cultural tellings of "the Flood" depicts the Milky Way River and not a factual flood and ship on the Earth.
--------------
I´ll post my mythical perception of the creation myths and of my cosmological understanding of the myths here: (Remember that IMO the cultural Myths of Creation don´t include the entire Universe, but specifically the Milky Way Galaxy)
---------------

Mythical understanding of the cultural Creation Stories

1. The numerous cultural Stories of Creation deals primary with the Milky Way.

2. The central light of the Milky Way represents the First Light. (Not “the Sun”)

3. The central bulged structure of the Milky Way represents the “Mount Olympus”.

4. The entire Milky Way band around the Earth represent the (Winged) Cosmic Serpent – Ouroboros - Wikipedia

5. The two hemisphere white contours of the Milky Way represents the two secondary cultural deities of Light (Not the Sun) and “first humans” of both genders. In the TBP interpretations these two Milky Way figures are for instants interpreted as planet Saturn and the Sun on the northern hemisphere and as planet Venus – where the myth of the Mother Goddess Venus really belongs to the southern Milky Way hemisphere, observable in the night Sky from the "Underworld", the Earth southern hemisphere.

6. On both hemispheres, a circle (often with 4 spokes) represents the Earth celestial axis.

7. The “Tree of Life” stands in the creational center, Eden, the Milky Way center.

8. Stars, star constellations, the Sun and Moon and the planets are daughters and sons of the central Milky Way Light, i.e. they all (we all) origin from the formation in the galactic center and have spread out from here.

9. Thus, biblically spoken, everything is expelled out from the center of creation.
-------------

My Cosmological understanding and explanation of the Creation

1. The Universe is eternal and filled with gases and particles in different densities.

2. The creation is eternal and all formations changes between formation, dissolution and re-formation. i.e. everything undergoes an eternal cyclical formation.

3. Our ancestors knew most likely of other galaxies, but our numerous cultural creation stories from all over the world deals specifically with the conditions of the pre-creation and factual creation of our own Milky Way.

4. The story of creation often goes as this: Cosmic clouds meets and the hot and cold temperatures creates swirling motions and ionization of gases and particles, which again creates an electromagnetic current. (Thus, the perpendicular magnetic and centrifugal motion field creates the very galactic disc.)

5. The swirling motion attracts initially everything into the center of the swirl and heat up the gases and particles until it melts together nuclearly (The central galactic Light) into stars and planets, which are later are slung away from the galactic center when reaching the critical weight.

6. The entire motion of the galactic electric current and the perpendicular magnetic motion in the galactic disc provides all orbital motions and rotations in the galaxy and thus also to the all objects in the Solar System.

7. Our Solar System was initially formed out from 1 glowing sphere when this left the galactic center via the barred structure. From the glowing central sphere on it´s way out from the galactic center, glowing planets were slung away from the Sun and subsequently the moons were slung out from the planets.

8. This formation explains the natural formation process and motions in the galactic rotation. (The Standard Model “abnormal galactic rotation curve” is quite normal for an electromagnetic circuit of formation).

9. This outgoing motion is still going on in our Solar System where the Earth increases the distance to the Sun with some 16 centimeter annually and the Moon increases its distance from the Earth with about 4 centimeter annually. These increasing motions has NOTHING to do with Newtonian gravitational “frame dragging”.
------
My Mytho-Cosmological website with illustrations and texts here - Ancient Science. The Ancient and native Way of Knowledge

Cultural Stories of Creation - List of creation myths - Wikipedia

Milky Way Mythology - Milky Way (mythology) - Wikipedia

List of cultural names of the Milky Way - List of names for the Milky Way - Wikipedia

Watch this excellent video which describes how human throughout all times have gained direct knowledge of themselves and the cosmic surroundings - "Celestial Ascent in Myth and Cult" -

Hope this gives you some usefull thoughts :) Looking forward to your respons :)

Last edited:

omega2xx

I've included this in the science and religion category so we could consider the scientific evidence that would support or refute either perspective.

Many people where I live (New Zealand) don't believe any of it, let alone being literally true. I don't live in the USA where many think differently.

I'm a Baha'i who believes in the same God, Bible, and Jesus as the Christians. I view some aspects of the Bible allegorically, whereas my Christian brothers and sisters might interpret literally.

Always happy to have a friendly chat about God's word with my coreligionists or atheists alike.:)

Since God is omnipotent, there is no reason not to believe it is all literal. Everything that exists had to have a beginning or be eternal. IMO "God did it," is the most logical answer and that He did it as described in Genesis, is the most logical belief.

If anyone want to say it is allegory, find. Just remember that allegories are based on literal events. The only thing in the Bible called an allegory is in Gal 4:24-31 and we know Sarah and Hagar were literal people.

Not only that, if you understand the allegory, you know it teaches a literal, spiritual truth.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I was watching a documentary and national geographic years ago about archeologist seemingly find Noah's Arch. Here are some "sightings" I just googled. In America, based on all the "searches" they seem to think biblical stories are literal. Likewise with the Garden of Eden. I don't have a t.v. anymore but when I saw it, it was quite interesting: Garden of Eden 1 and Garden of Eden 2 The Great Flood I believe could be when the earth was covered in water before earth emerged during the evolution/development of the planet crust and so forth. Many religious text have different stories related to the creation of man. I wouldn't consider the bible a historical book. Though, in America, they take it quite literally regardless.

Hi Carlita

The thread began after considering a post from @CG Didymus

How are these Great Beings explained?

Clearly many American Christians take these stories literally so I thought I would explore what the stories really meant, and consider whether or not it was possible for them to be literally true.

Its quite exciting really because we start from the beginning of the bible. Every culture has its creation myth and this is it for the Abrahamic faiths. As you say, the bible is not a history book, though there is some history interwoven with mythology. In Genesis 1 we are introduced to God, has Creator of the universe, All-Powerful, is organised and has a plan, and is concerned for His creation. The pinnacle of creation is man. After seven days He rests, so seven comes to represent perfection and completeness. Each day is initiated by God, and each day is another stage in the development of God's plan.

The scene is set for the story of our first human characters, Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden. We are told that we can live in order and happiness by living in accordance with God's commands. In this state they lived in close fellowship with God. But when they broke His law they hid from His Presence. They endured consequences and hardship resulting from their turning away. There are references to this story in future prophetic books.

Then through Noah we are introduced to the concept of the ark (a place of safety should we abide by God's bidding) and find protection from tribulation. We learn of God's judgement and His Covenant, being an agreement between God and his people. God promises certain blessings should we abide by His laws and that He will always be with us. The flood represents great tribulation that befell the peoples when they turned away from God and failed to heed repeated warnings. Jesus referred to Noah when He spoke of the tribulations to come, and also signs that would accompany His return.

None of it literally happened as history IMHO, but it is an opening story that takes many turns and twists leading us to these modern times.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello adrian009 and thanks for your post :)
Your introduction:

Taking the numerous cultural myths of creation seriously is IMO just a question of the ability to find and connect the mythical texts and symbols to the correct celestial objects and motions. In the extends this happends, "myths" are real cosmological knowledge.

Short comments on:
1. IMO the biblical 7 days should be 7 stages or celestial spheres. IMO the real mening have been lost by the interpretation of the authors who haven´t had the direct "divine" visionary experience.
2. It should be taken litterary as the symbolistic telling of the Milky Way creation. Read more below.
3. The numerous cultural tellings of "the Flood" depicts the Milky Way River and not a factual flood and ship on the Earth.
--------------
I´ll post my mythical perception of the creation myths and of my cosmological understanding of the myths here: (Remember that IMO the cultural Myths of Creation don´t include the entire Universe, but specifically the Milky Way Galaxy)
---------------

Mythical understanding of the cultural Creation Stories

1. The numerous cultural Stories of Creation deals primary with the Milky Way.

2. The central light of the Milky Way represents the First Light. (Not “the Sun”)

3. The central bulged structure of the Milky Way represents the “Mount Olympus”.

4. The entire Milky Way band around the Earth represent the (Winged) Cosmic Serpent – Ouroboros - Wikipedia

5. The two hemisphere white contours of the Milky Way represents the two secondary cultural deities of Light (Not the Sun) and “first humans” of both genders. In the TBP interpretations these two Milky Way figures are for instants interpreted as planet Saturn and the Sun on the northern hemisphere and as planet Venus – where the myth of the Mother Goddess Venus really belongs to the southern Milky Way hemisphere, observable in the night Sky from the "Underworld", the Earth southern hemisphere.

6. On both hemispheres, a circle (often with 4 spokes) represents the Earth celestial axis.

7. The “Tree of Life” stands in the creational center, Eden, the Milky Way center.

8. Stars, star constellations, the Sun and Moon and the planets are daughters and sons of the central Milky Way Light, i.e. they all (we all) origin from the formation in the galactic center and have spread out from here.

9. Thus, biblically spoken, everything is expelled out from the center of creation.
-------------

My Cosmological understanding and explanation of the Creation

1. The Universe is eternal and filled with gases and particles in different densities.

2. The creation is eternal and all formations changes between formation, dissolution and re-formation. i.e. everything undergoes an eternal cyclical formation.

3. Our ancestors knew most likely of other galaxies, but our numerous cultural creation stories from all over the world deals specifically with the conditions of the pre-creation and factual creation of our own Milky Way.

4. The story of creation often goes as this: Cosmic clouds meets and the hot and cold temperatures creates swirling motions and ionization of gases and particles, which again creates an electromagnetic current. (Thus, the perpendicular magnetic and centrifugal motion field creates the very galactic disc.)

5. The swirling motion attracts initially everything into the center of the swirl and heat up the gases and particles until it melts together nuclearly (The central galactic Light) into stars and planets, which are later are slung away from the galactic center when reaching the critical weight.

6. The entire motion of the galactic electric current and the perpendicular magnetic motion in the galactic disc provides all orbital motions and rotations in the galaxy and thus also to the all objects in the Solar System.

7. Our Solar System was initially formed out from 1 glowing sphere when this left the galactic center via the barred structure. From the glowing central sphere on it´s way out from the galactic center, glowing planets were slung away from the Sun and subsequently the moons were slung out from the planets.

8. This formation explains the natural formation process and motions in the galactic rotation. (The Standard Model “abnormal galactic rotation curve” is quite normal for an electromagnetic circuit of formation).

9. This outgoing motion is still going on in our Solar System where the Earth increases the distance to the Sun with some 16 centimeter annually and the Moon increases its distance from the Earth with about 4 centimeter annually. These increasing motions has NOTHING to do with Newtonian gravitational “frame dragging”.
------
My Mytho-Cosmological website with illustrations and texts here - Ancient Science. The Ancient and native Way of Knowledge

Cultural Stories of Creation - List of creation myths - Wikipedia

Milky Way Mythology - Milky Way (mythology) - Wikipedia

List of cultural names of the Milky Way - List of names for the Milky Way - Wikipedia

Watch this excellent video which describes how human throughout all times have gained direct knowledge of themselves and the cosmic surroundings - "Celestial Ascent in Myth and Cult" -

Hope this gives you some usefull thoughts :) Looking forward to your respons :)

What a beautiful post rich with mythology and ideas. It has been very uplifting considering your ideas and the wonder of the Cosmos. Its not what I expected at all when I started the thread so thank you.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Since God is omnipotent, there is no reason not to believe it is all literal. Everything that exists had to have a beginning or be eternal. IMO "God did it," is the most logical answer and that He did it as described in Genesis, is the most logical belief.

If anyone want to say it is allegory, find. Just remember that allegories are based on literal events. The only thing in the Bible called an allegory is in Gal 4:24-31 and we know Sarah and Hagar were literal people.

Not only that, if you understand the allegory, you know it teaches a literal, spiritual truth.

Thank you for sharing your Christian beliefs and understanding that these stories are to be taken literally. Like many, including a significant proportion of Christians, I see the allegory but do not see the stories as being literally true. I do believe God created the Universe but am guided by historic and scientific knowledge to better understand the processes, which of course will always remain mysterious. I do believe that Adam and Noah were real people but science does not support a worldwide flood as described.

I wonder if the science that seems to overwhelming discount certain events as being literally true concerns you?

roger1440

I do stuff

The stories found in Genesis are some of the truest stories that never happened.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The stories found in Genesis are some of the truest stories that never happened.

That is certainly the kind of response I come to expect and enjoy from you. Any thoughts about the significance of the mythology.

roger1440

I do stuff
That is certainly the kind of response I come to expect and enjoy from you. Any thoughts about the significance of the mythology.
Most of it is allegory. To give order in disorder. To give direction to the lost. To give purpose to the purposeless.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
A child can read a story that leads to a moral at the end. The story may contain talking rabbits, cats and dogs. Even though the story never happened, none the less, the story may be true.

In what way is a story about talking rabbits, or in the case of genesis, a talking serpent true?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hi Carlita

The thread began after considering a post from @CG Didymus

How are these Great Beings explained?

Clearly many American Christians take these stories literally so I thought I would explore what the stories really meant, and consider whether or not it was possible for them to be literally true.

Its quite exciting really because we start from the beginning of the bible. Every culture has its creation myth and this is it for the Abrahamic faiths. As you say, the bible is not a history book, though there is some history interwoven with mythology. In Genesis 1 we are introduced to God, has Creator of the universe, All-Powerful, is organised and has a plan, and is concerned for His creation. The pinnacle of creation is man. After seven days He rests, so seven comes to represent perfection and completeness. Each day is initiated by God, and each day is another stage in the development of God's plan.

The scene is set for the story of our first human characters, Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden. We are told that we can live in order and happiness by living in accordance with God's commands. In this state they lived in close fellowship with God. But when they broke His law they hid from His Presence. They endured consequences and hardship resulting from their turning away. There are references to this story in future prophetic books.

Then through Noah we are introduced to the concept of the ark (a place of safety should we abide by God's bidding) and find protection from tribulation. We learn of God's judgement and His Covenant, being an agreement between God and his people. God promises certain blessings should we abide by His laws and that He will always be with us. The flood represents great tribulation that befell the peoples when they turned away from God and failed to heed repeated warnings. Jesus referred to Noah when He spoke of the tribulations to come, and also signs that would accompany His return.

None of it literally happened as history IMHO, but it is an opening story that takes many turns and twists leading us to these modern times.

I never thought half of the things in the bible are literal. The only literal things I experienced is the NT and what jesus taught. I don't understand what a god to really compare. I mean plate tectonics can probably describe all the creation and flood story. Noah's Arch is a far fetch cry for literalism. I understand the point of thing being literal. If not, to many people it belittles the fact of their faith. However, if it's symbolic it is what it is.

I don't have much else to say. I thought the links would interest you.

roger1440

I do stuff
In what way is a story about talking rabbits, or in the case of genesis, a talking serpent true?
Have you ever seen a snake? Just last night my roommate saw a snake in the street. First thing she mentioned was how quickly it moved. It was there for a moment and gone. It scared the crap out of her. The point is, when you least suspect it, a snake can come out of nowhere and you can be a victim of its venom. We should always be careful especially when we are in uncharted territory.

“If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it." (Genesis 4:7)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Another possibility that you seem to be overlooking: it was intended to be literally true (in whole or in part), but it's simply wrong.

I think it's obvious that the Genesis creation story is intended to be at least partly mythical - it's basically a "just-so story" for humanity: it tells the story of a man named "Man" and a woman named "Woman" who, through the events of the story, end up explaining in broad terms why people are the way they are and what our place in the world is.

That being said, I think there are elements in the story that were taken as factual givens at the time, such as:

- most light doesn't come from the Sun
- the sky is a solid dome ("the firmament")
- creatures were designed in their current forms by God directly

When we get into Genesis stories like the flood or the Tower of Babel, I think they were largely taken as literal. Literal with important messages and symbolism, but still literal... and wrong.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I never thought half of the things in the bible are literal. The only literal things I experienced is the NT and what jesus taught. I don't understand what a god to really compare. I mean plate tectonics can probably describe all the creation and flood story. Noah's Arch is a far fetch cry for literalism. I understand the point of thing being literal. If not, to many people it belittles the fact of their faith. However, if it's symbolic it is what it is.

I don't have much else to say. I thought the links would interest you.

Thanks for that. The links were interesting because I'm curious about the world of Christian fundamentalism and how people can believe these stories to be literally true. It has lead some to spend a great part of their life searching for the Ark or the Garden of Eden. It seems like a fruitless journey but that's what some people do.

Like you, it is the NT and Jesus that provides me with the most meaning, but I have come to appreciate the bible as a whole so the OT holds increasing appeal.

Best Wishes

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you ever seen a snake? Just last night my roommate saw a snake in the street. First thing she mentioned was how quickly it moved. It was there for a moment and gone. It scared the crap out of her. The point is, when you least suspect it, a snake can come out of nowhere and you can be a victim of its venom. We should always be careful especially when we are in uncharted territory.

“If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it." (Genesis 4:7)

We don't have snakes in New Zealand, nor anything that is too dangerous. We are even far removed the Korean Peninsula. But I take your point. We need to be weary in life, because we never can tell when the next curveball will come out of left field. Perhaps our greatest protection is the efforts we make to always be doing the right thing in life.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Another possibility that you seem to be overlooking: it was intended to be literally true (in whole or in part), but it's simply wrong.

I think it's obvious that the Genesis creation story is intended to be at least partly mythical - it's basically a "just-so story" for humanity: it tells the story of a man named "Man" and a woman named "Woman" who, through the events of the story, end up explaining in broad terms why people are the way they are and what our place in the world is.

That being said, I think there are elements in the story that were taken as factual givens at the time, such as:

- most light doesn't come from the Sun
- the sky is a solid dome ("the firmament")
- creatures were designed in their current forms by God directly

When we get into Genesis stories like the flood or the Tower of Babel, I think they were largely taken as literal. Literal with important messages and symbolism, but still literal... and wrong.

That is not my belief, but acknowledge that the world in full of illusion and irony. Like those that search for the Noah's Ark, perhaps we search for meaning where there is none to be found.