• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The State of Hell and Heaven

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
is hell based on service to self, or selfish type?

heaven is based on service to all, or selfless type?

Me, I suspect selflessness is an illusion of self.
Heaven may simply be a matter of letting go of that illusion.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Me, I suspect selflessness is an illusion of self.
Heaven may simply be a matter of letting go of that illusion.
you believe altruism is an illusion?

you have a want another person has a need. do you selfishly maintain the want in the face of a need?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
you believe altruism is an illusion?

you have a want another person has a need. do you selfishly maintain the want in the face of a need?

I do.

My need to be useful. My need to see myself as a "good" person.
I think it is a lie to think the individual in the act of altruism somehow circumvents their own desires.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I do.

My need to be useful. My need to see myself as a "good" person.
I think it is a lie to think the individual in the act of altruism somehow circumvents their own desires.
the difference in desire is a "want" vs the "need" in another. self is forgotten and the desire is for the well being of other as self. the cessation is not about desire. its about a need in contrast to a want.

one deserves their own need be met before self can actually help another without putting self at risk. robbing peter to pay paul just shifts the problem to another.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
the difference in desire is a "want" vs the "need" in another. self is forgotten and the desire is for the well being of other as self. the cessation is not about desire.

Sure, that is where I think the illusion lies. Just because the self is forgotten doesn't mean it is not there.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
is hell based on service to self, or selfish type?

heaven is based on service to all, or selfless type?
"service to all" includes service to rapists, murderers, and all variety of scoundrel?

"service to self" includes getting good sleep, eating healthy food, wearing clean clothes, etc?

Jeremiah Ames

"service to all" includes service to rapists, murderers, and all variety of scoundrel?

"service to self" includes getting good sleep, eating healthy food, wearing clean clothes, etc?

Service to all means doing the best for everyone, including rapists and murderers..
That would be something like rehabilitation or prison. That is in their best interest. Sure, they don’t agree, but they are wrong. They disagree only because they are selfish and wish not to be of service to others.

Service to self means not choosing selfishness over altruism.
You must take care of your earthly needs first, but not at the expense of others.
Otherwise you will be unable to be of service to others.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Service to all means doing the best for everyone, including rapists and murderers..
That would be something like rehabilitation or prison. That is in their best interest. Sure, they don’t agree, but they are wrong. They disagree only because they are selfish and wish not to be of service to others.

Service to self means not choosing selfishness over altruism.
You must take care of your earthly needs first, but not at the expense of others.
Otherwise you will be unable to be of service to others.
@Fool, is this ^^ an accurate description of what you mean by "service to all", the rapists and murders are in jail accountable to the justice system of their locality?

@Jeremiah Ames , you said "they don't agree" So, the definition of service to all might be a little different depending on whom is the speaker and who is the audience... ;) It's pretty important, imo, to keep this mind when conversing with someone named "Fool". One wouldn't want to be fooled by making assumptions about what "service to all" means. It could be the speaker's or the audience's mindset is closer aligned or sympathetic to rapists and murders. More clarification would be good.

Jeremiah Ames

@Fool, is this ^^ an accurate description of what you mean by "service to all", the rapists and murders are in jail accountable to the justice system of their locality?

@Jeremiah Ames , you said "they don't agree" So, the definition of service to all might be a little different depending on whom is the speaker and who is the audience... ;) It's pretty important, imo, to keep this mind when conversing with someone named "Fool". One wouldn't want to be fooled by making assumptions about what "service to all" means. It could be the speaker's or the audience's mindset is closer aligned or sympathetic to rapists and murders. More clarification would be good.

As one who allegedly is following Judaism, I thought you would know better.

But, I tell you what. You win.
Everything you say is correct.
Thank you for correcting my ignorance.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
As one who allegedly is following Judaism, I thought you would know better.

But, I tell you what. You win.
Everything you say is correct.
Thank you for correcting my ignorance.
I wasn't trying to correct you. I'm sorry if it came off that way.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

psychological maturity and physical maturity are not the same thing. So we don't consider it for a minute when we restrain young humans from hurting themselves and others. So yes, there is nothing wrong with placing someone in a confined area; so they can't harm themselves or others, no matter the age. If you're doing it to punish them, it's really not effective. Most of the incarcerated are inside because of their service to self.

A loving and mature person wouldn't think twice about separating two fighting children and sending one or both to their rooms to think about what they done

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If separation is the illusion, then is this not just God, feeding themselves?
The illusion is the contrast between this form vs other form as self, the appearance of space between, but God is all and in all. So yes it is the all feeding the All and vice versa. I am that I am