• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The spell'

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I don't feel most Christians respect nature as most Wiccans do. Understanding who the creator is, (and some Wiccans will have different views on this,) and respecting the earth are 2 different things.

Scott1

jeffrey said:
I don't feel most Christians respect nature as most Wiccans do. Understanding who the creator is, (and some Wiccans will have different views on this,) and respecting the earth are 2 different things.
Ok... I get ya... for the record, I do believe we Roman Catholics share your respect of nature:

Respect for the integrity of creation (Catechism of the Catholic Church 2415-2418)

The seventh commandment enjoins respect for the integrity of creation. Animals, like plants and inanimate beings, are by nature destined for the common good of past, present, and future humanity. Use of the mineral, vegetable, and animal resources of the universe cannot be divorced from respect for moral imperatives. Man's dominion over inanimate and other living beings granted by the Creator is not absolute; it is limited by concern for the quality of life of his neighbor, including generations to come; it requires a religious respect for the integrity of creation.

Animals are God's creatures. He surrounds them with his providential care. By their mere existence they bless him and give him glory. Thus men owe them kindness. We should recall the gentleness with which saints like St. Francis of Assisi or St. Philip Neri treated animals. It is contrary to human dignity to cause animals to suffer or die needlessly.

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
Scot, Too many Christians are far to judgmental for me.
You may see God as creator of all... I dont see God, Jesus maybe.​
I believe trees have spirits.. Do you? I believe in reincarnation.. Do you? These are just a few differences.

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
Please excuse me if my replies are not answering your questions.... but im very tired.
Please feel free to pm me and ill try and answer them the best I can.​
Ps I have nothing but respect for the Catholic Church, and your beliefs are still in my heart too.

Scott1

Evenstar said:
Scot, Too many Christians are far to judgmental for me.
Me 2

You may see God as creator of all... I dont see God, Jesus maybe.
I believe Jesus is God, so no argument there.

I believe trees have spirits.. Do you?
Hmm... never thought about it.... but I would say that my "religious respect for the integrity of creation" should have it covered in case they do.:D
I believe in reincarnation.. Do you? These are just a few differences.
OK, that helps....

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Scott, if you wish to debate this, please start a thread. I'm sure there are Wiccans in here that can explain more. But as with my opening post, there is not that much difference between the rituals you practice, and that of some Wiccans. ;)

Eynah

Quote from Jeffery:
If I might ask, why do you think that? Are there any examples from your life. Not saying that it's not true, just curious!

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Mostly being around my wife, who has deep Wicca roots has taught me to respect nature more. To most Christians, a tree is a tree. Nice to look at, good for fire wood, or building homes. But most Wiccans believe that tree has a spirit, that you might one day be reincarnated as one.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Look at a reincarnation thread. Presuming you can and will be reincarnated, most Christians would choose an animal or themselves, were an earth based religion would choose a tree or plant. Some Wicca and Pagans believe that you can hear an oak tree talk in a storm. Most Christians don't. :D

Mike182

Flaming Queer
jeffrey said:
Look at a reincarnation thread. Presuming you can and will be reincarnated, most Christians would choose an animal or themselves, were an earth based religion would choose a tree or plant. Some Wicca and Pagans believe that you can hear an oak tree talk in a storm. Most Christians don't. :D
yea........ but its easier to talk to the Dryad's living in the trees though ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dryad

not many christians believe in that, me thinks:D

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Scott said:
.... and I still can't figure out what a Wicca is... no one can provide an answer... BTW a person does not follow their "own path" by becoming Wiccan (or Catholic, or anything for that matter).... maybe Wiccan is more of a (vague) desription of certain spiritual traits as opposed to defining "membership" in a certain sect.
I was having a similar conversation with Fluffy and I'm still trying to fully understand. The boundaries of Wicca are not really set in stone. Actually I'm not even sure if there is boundaries. Trying to set any boundaries is what drives people away. At least that's my understanding. Here is a short convo with Fluffy:

Victor said:
That clear things a bit. As you have noted that the boundaries of Wicca are large enough for person to rome free. My focus was in finding a mechanism that could clarify/assist a fellow Wiccan from stepping out of the boundary. Thanks Fluffy.
Fluffy said:
I do admit that it is very difficult to find a satisfactory mechanism. I would advance a few tenuously but I am not content enough with any of them to the extent that I would be certain that their would be no exceptions.

I think you might find that towards the liberal end of Christianity, a very similar thing is happening. See my religion for an example

Scott1

jeffrey said:
Scott, if you wish to debate this, please start a thread. I'm sure there are Wiccans in here that can explain more. But as with my opening post, there is not that much difference between the rituals you practice, and that of some Wiccans. ;)
Nope... not trying to debate, just learn.... and you are quite right, in appearance there are a ton of similarities between the two.... candles, insense etc. were all taken from the pagan rituals as the early Church struggled to grow.
But most Wiccans believe that tree has a spirit, that you might one day be reincarnated as one.
Good info... Catholics believe trees (and all living things) have a spirit, not the same as a human soul mind you, but a spirit... and I really hope you folks are wrong: a life as a tree seems more boring than my life now --- and that's saying a lot!

Peace and love,
Scott

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
Victor is right, we have nothing set in stone. Personally I dont like the set rules of the church.
As a Wiccan I can be me, in a church I feel like im been formed into something else. I worship both a God and Goddess.. and dont see her as Mary either.​
If I wish to give money to anyone it will be to help save this beautiful earth... not a church.