• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The solution to bad religion is good religion, not no religion."

Shad

Veteran Member

No definition nor criteria of what a good or bad religion is. Generalization of critics and criticism instead of specific examples. Ignorance of methodology in science used to correct false conclusions and errors, the processes involved, etc. A false comparison to science as religion has no methodology for correction as revelation isn't a method but an assertion made into an axiom by believers. No addressing sects of a religion as a sect could be bad while another one could be seen as good. Such as Reform vs Orthodox for an example of sects holding different views. Refusing to discuss how believers conduct themselves instead focusing on an academic level of religion which most followers never reach. Ignoring that this gap is the problem of religion thus a valid target.

Shad

Veteran Member
I agree. Far too many people rely on religion to keep them from breaking down, or at least stop them from becoming emotionally crippled. This why although I consider Christianity to be a regrettable fabrication it does have a pragmatic function.

I agree with this. More so I believe a lot of seniors need religion if their social interactions are limited and reduced due to retirement.

Jumi

"Atheism deserves better than the new atheists whose methodology consists of criticizing religion without understanding it, quoting texts without contexts, taking exceptions as the rule, confusing folk belief with reflective theology, abusing, mocking, ridiculing, caricaturing, and demonizing religious faith and holding it responsible for the great crimes against humanity. Religion has done harm; I acknowledge that. But the cure for bad religion is good religion, not no religion, just as the cure for bad science is good science, not the abandonment of science."
The quote is pretty good, but it's hard to say whose job it is to cure religions problems. In science, people from outside of science rarely contribute to changing direction to it, how would it be different for religions? Calls from the outside to reform don't necessarily have desired effect.

I use the analogy of house cleaning, an effort is needed on the inside. If there is none and bad religion persists, a growth of anti-theism is a natural consequence. And I would say no religion is better than bad religion, which I'm sure many people in religions would also agree.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Very interesting, even though I am a theist I have never been antagonistic to atheists nor atheism. Most of the hostility toward atheism that I experience is from Christians and Muslims. Jews, except possibly very strict Jews are generally tolerant of of atheism, and atheist and strongly agnostic Jews are common, who consider their cultural identity more than a religious identity.

It is interesting you refer to 'bad religion' and 'good religion.' I need to give that more thought.
"Most of the hostility toward atheism that I experience is from Christians and Muslims." Unquote

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim. I have never felt any hostility towards the unbelievers/atheists . But their stance is not reasonable.

Regards

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
"Most of the hostility toward atheism that I experience is from Christians and Muslims." Unquote

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim. I have never felt any hostility towards the unbelievers/atheists . But their stance is not reasonable.

Regards

I did not say all Muslims, and the Ahmadhi is a minority, and of course more tolerant than most. Actually, personally I consider atheism and agnosticism reasonable and logical, but like yours, I do not share their belief.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I did not say all Muslims, and the Ahmadhi is a minority, and of course more tolerant than most. Actually, personally I consider atheism and agnosticism reasonable and logical, but like yours, I do not share their belief.
"I consider atheism and agnosticism reasonable and logical" Unquote

If it is reasonable and logical then, why did one not share it, please?

I never found even a single reasonable and positive argument from them. Most of them just:
~ ridicule and deride the believers and their religion or
~ shift burden of proof and sit pretty
~ or they see fairies or some big-foot or elephant comes into their garage or a flying tea-pot comes into their mind etc,

never providing any valid reasonable/convincing argument.

Can one give a reasonable argument given by Bahaullah in favor of them (Atheism/Agnosticism/Skepticism and the like) or otherwise, please?
If yes, then please quote from Kitáb-i-Aqdas written by Bahaullah, please.

Regards

Last edited: