• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Societal Impacts of Behaviorism vs. Self-Determination - a poll

How much does behaviorism impact society vs. self-determination theory (SDT)?

• Behaviorism has far more impact than SDT.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Behaviorism is slightly more impactful than SDT.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Behaviorism and SDT have roughly equal impact.

• SDT is slightly more impactful than Behaviorism

• SDT has far more impact than Behaviorism

• What the heck is self-determination theory?

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Neither has much impact on society.

• Total voters

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Some people claim that behaviorism and self-determination theory are used by the powerful to influence society. Do you think that's true, and if so, what do you think the relative impacts of the two approaches are?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know how one would even begin to objectively measure and assess something like this, but frankly? I just don't buy that "the powerful" humans are actually all that powerful to begin with. It takes a certain amount of anthropocentric hubris to believe that, and while I won't disregard the tapestry of influences among human persons (and non-human persons) this... "the powerful" are not like keystone species of an ecosystem. They just aren't. Even if their egos make them talk themselves up as if they are.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I don't know how one would even begin to objectively measure and assess something like this, but frankly? I just don't buy that "the powerful" humans are actually all that powerful to begin with. It takes a certain amount of anthropocentric hubris to believe that, and while I won't disregard the tapestry of influences among human persons (and non-human persons) this... "the powerful" are not like keystone species of an ecosystem. They just aren't. Even if their egos make them talk themselves up as if they are.

To be clear, I think anthropocentric views are pervasive and extremely dangerous, so I think we're agreed on that point?

But for this thread, I was hoping to focus only on human society. In other words, what techniques are used by some humans to control and manipulate other humans?