• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Single Biggest Flaw in Buddhism?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
In dharma, "extinction" does not mean or imply that one disappears without a trace, but instead involves the consciousness carrying on, albeit ever-changing.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
In dharma, "extinction" does not mean or imply that one disappears without a trace, but instead involves the consciousness carrying on, albeit ever-changing.
It the extinguishing of the "fiery craving" (I call it craving like a junkie) that messes with your ability to think clearly and messes with your will-power, just as addiction (attachment, clinging--just as fire clings to its fuel) and its cravings affect the minds of those who are addicted.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So, what is that "one" which is left?
At parinirvana, when body disintegrates, there is no "one" left.
In a sense, there is not a "one" as something that is unchanging or standing alone, plus consciousness needs not a body, according to dharma. In my previous post, I used the word "one" but probably should have clarified that, which I have done on some other threads but not this one.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yes, it's true, Jesus was a Buddhist. This is all recorded in the lost suttas of the Spiny Nikaya. ;)
I heard the spiny version included a crown of thorns.

Is that true, or just an invention brought about by some obscure protestants from the back country who happened to have a Buddha incense burner ?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Do you know the story of Sāti, the Fisherman's Son?

Sati's error was thinking it was the same consciousness that "wanders on" through successive lives, like a soul. The Buddha put him straight, explaining that consciousness arises dependently throughout the cycle of rebirth.

Don't forget that the suttas describe formless realms, where there is just consciousness without form, ie disembodied consciousness, roughly analogous to "spirits".