• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Seeker Challenge

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'm going to try, various philosophies each day. I will come on at the end of the day, tell people what I got out of it, sometimes it may be more than 1 day. Wish me luck.

Day 1. Ridding Desire.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Kudos! Luck on the journey! :D

I don't mean to be a troll, but isn't attempting to rid desire essentially a desire?

There is a buddhist quote that says something like:

"Some times you need a needle to take out another one."

Or somethng like that.

But yeah, that does indeed become troublesome, Orios xD

Last edited:

Ravenheart

Seeker
Hahaha Orias you spoiler! I think it's a great idea but I think Orias set you with a double challenge as your first one mate.

1) Rid desire
2) Rid the feeling that could be named as "desire to rid desire" by Orias

Can't wait to see the results and the challenges to come...

Onkara

I don't mean to be a troll, but isn't attempting to rid desire essentially a desire?

Desire (in Hinduism) can vary. The correct desire to know truth or to realise God. A negative desire would be to gain satisfaction at another's misery. Desire is always desire and cannot be avoided, but the goal and the means are different and so the result can be liberating or binding accordingly. In this case the desire to rid desire is correct if its focus and means are correct and do not in turn result in more desire and karma for oneself or another.

Kudos! Luck on the journey! :D

There is a buddhist quote that says something like:

"Some times you need a needle to take out another one."

Or somethng like that.

But yeah, that does indeed become troublesome, Orios xD

It appears in the translation of the Srimad Bhagavatam: To use a thorn to remove another thorn. I.e. to use the mind to remove the mind, which blocks us from divine truth.

:)

The Sum of Awe

Ridding Desire:

I was extremely bored, hungry, and cold... Slept for four hours from 12 am to 5 am. It was boring, but it did enlighten me when I decided I was bored enough. I stared at a wall, meditated for a long time, did push ups, stared at a wall again for like fifteen minutes which was long time... I had to do dishes, than after I did them I realized 8 hours had gone by of completely doing nothing that I liked doing so I put on some clothes, ate food, grabbed some tea, and turned my computer on...

It does enlighten you, the longer you rid yourself the more enlightenment. But it only enlightens you after your done, you accept more things. I think I should do it more often.

It's like getting a new TV I guess. But that was really boring, I probably will be too lazy to do it again...

Orias

Left Hand Path
Ridding Desire:

I was extremely bored, hungry, and cold... Slept for four hours from 12 am to 5 am. It was boring, but it did enlighten me when I decided I was bored enough. I stared at a wall, meditated for a long time, did push ups, stared at a wall again for like fifteen minutes which was long time... I had to do dishes, than after I did them I realized 8 hours had gone by of completely doing nothing that I liked doing so I put on some clothes, ate food, grabbed some tea, and turned my computer on...

It does enlighten you, the longer you rid yourself the more enlightenment. But it only enlightens you after your done, you accept more things. I think I should do it more often.

It's like getting a new TV I guess. But that was really boring, I probably will be too lazy to do it again...

Sounds like what I do after I uh..do some stuff. Working out is a great way to cleanse the mind, with stretching and listen to music specific for the occasion.

Sit in a dark corner, close the eyes and release the mind.

The Sum of Awe

Sounds like what I do after I uh..do some stuff. Working out is a great way to cleanse the mind, with stretching and listen to music specific for the occasion.

Sit in a dark corner, close the eyes and release the mind.

I agree. Working out itself is pretty enlightening

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Ridding Desire:

That doesn't sound like "ridding desire" to me. It sounds like self-denial.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Same thing isn't it?"
Denial doesn't erase the desire. It just starves it. There are certain desires you need to survive, but you don't need to be a slave to them. When you are hungry, eat. Starving yourself proves nothing and overeating leads to worse problems down the line. Same with all desires.

muslim-

abstract concepts, although important, sometimes need to be understood with a more holistic view to provide proper answers.

Imagine someone asking why people should be married to have children for instance. Whatever the answer is, a proper understanding can only come with in depth analysis of the issue and other issues attached to it, because its simply not an abstract issue.

Orias

Left Hand Path
abstract concepts, although important, sometimes need to be understood with a more holistic view to provide proper answers.

Imagine someone asking why people should be married to have children for instance. Whatever the answer is, a proper understanding can only come with in depth analysis of the issue and other issues attached to it, because its simply not an abstract issue.

I don't mean to be rude but what you said here contradicts what you said above. If something is to be understood with a more "holistic" view point then that means that it hasn't been analysed or broken down into parts. What you are suggesting in this paragraph is that to gain a proper understanding something must be analyised "in depth" which is a use of abstract reasoning.

So really I don't understand what your point is here, your saying its not abstract but clearly it is? :shrug:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Why deny one's self his own natural desires? So long as his/her desires do not claim harm to an innocent? As it is to you your-Self (and to Set) that you will ultimately have to answer.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I would also ask, that if one is unable to face the world, how could one presume to be able to face the Majesty of Set or the Prince of Darkness?

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Last edited: