• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Russia question!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
That feeling you get when Communism fell in Russia, and the Soviet Union fell roughly thirty years ago, and we are closer to nuclear war with the Russians now, than we were when they were Communist?

What would it take to have positive relationships between America and Russia?? Will there ever be such a thing?

I guess relationship between the two nations was improving under Trump, but that was such a brief marriage now wasn't it, it doesn't really count!

(That feeling you also get when Russia is at war with NATO, because obviously NATO has been giving Ukraine lots of weapons before the war started, which is one of the reasons Russia gave for invading in the first place.:rolleyes::oops:)

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
"war" between Russia an US is as old as British empire.
since independence of US Americans are after Russian riches, their aim is not nuking Russia but rather exploitation of Siberia.

there will never be peace.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That feeling you get when Communism fell in Russia, and the Soviet Union fell roughly thirty years ago, and we are closer to nuclear war with the Russians now, than we were when they were Communist?

What would it take to have positive relationships between America and Russia?? Will there ever be such a thing?

I guess relationship between the two nations was improving under Trump, but that was such a brief marriage now wasn't it, it doesn't really count!

(That feeling you also get when Russia is at war with NATO, because obviously NATO has been giving Ukraine lots of weapons before the war started, which is one of the reasons Russia gave for invading in the first place.:rolleyes::oops:)

At this point, I think the relationship between America and Russia is pretty well damaged. It doesn't mean we can't have a normal relationship eventually, but it will be a while.

Back during the Cold War, the enmity with Russia was more ideological than anything else. The U.S. was capitalist, Russia was communist. But it was always stressed that our issue was with the government and communist apparatus, not with the people themselves.

Now, it seems to be different, since Russia is now capitalist. But their government is also nationalistic, so it presents a problem.

As for America, we've held a position of primacy in the world, but there seems to be an underlying fear that we're slipping and falling into weakness and vulnerability.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
what? I don't understand.

I didn't know what it meant either, but I found this: Swedish word of the day: skål (thelocal.se)

Skål means two different things in Swedish, and they're both quite common words. Firstly, en skål is 'a bowl'. Hear how to pronounce it in the clip below:

More excitingly, skål is how you say 'cheers!' – the exclamation when you clink glasses with friends and drink, often in celebration of something. Except in Sweden, you shouldn't actually let your glasses touch.

Sweden has some fairly complex etiquette when it comes to toasting. At formal occasions, there's a set order in which you should toast the people you're with, and you should raise your glass to the third button on your shirt.

But in general, unless you're keeping very fancy company, all you need to remember to avoid offence is to make eye contact and nod at your cheers-ing partner.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Well, there was the Cuban missile crisis in 1962. That was serious. After that, the two sides got more cautious, and tried like hell to avoid it. Hopefully, the same will happen now. If it seems like when they were communist, that's no accident. Putin grew up in a communist system that valued expansionism and also dictatorship.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Well, there was the Cuban missile crisis in 1962. That was serious. After that, the two sides got more cautious, and tried like hell to avoid it. Hopefully, the same will happen now.
I think we are closer to World war III now than during the Cuban missile crisis ;)

Russia has already lost roughly as many men in two months, as they lost in 9 years fighting to conquer Afghanistan, which they failed.

Ukraine could not be inflicting such heavy casualties without very formidable weapons from NATO, which means it is already a war between more than just Russia and Ukraine! ;)

NArdas

I liked the cheap former East German gear the gypos hawked on the streets on the cheap in front of the Brandenburg gate after the wall fell, I have quite the collection.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I liked the cheap former East German gear the gypos hawked on the streets on the cheap in front of the Brandenburg gate after the wall fell, I have quite the collection.

The Russian military personnel that occupied East Germany used to nail naked German women to doors, and carried out the worst rape epidemic I ever heard of, and were called "the army of rapists", where even little girls and old ladies were not spared!

Beings that the Soviets invaded Poland when the Nazis did, we had just as much reason to declare war on the Soviets (who were worse than the Nazis), and yet we were in an alliance with a regime more barbaric, more immoral, with a higher kill count than the Nazis!

That is what comes to mind when I think of East Germany! I can't imagine what life was like there!

NArdas

The Russian military personnel that occupied East Germany used to nail naked German women to doors, and carried out the worst rape epidemic I ever heard of, and were called "the army of rapists", where even little girls and old ladies were not spared!

Beings that the Soviets invaded Poland when the Nazis did, we had just as much reason to declare war on the Soviets (who were worse than the Nazis), and yet we were in an alliance with a regime more barbaric, more immoral, with a higher kill count than the Nazis!

That is what comes to mind when I think of East Germany! I can't imagine what life was like there!

I loved the electricity in the air, one could feel it, it was indescribable, one would have to feel it no?