• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Role of Government

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
*This is intended to be a thread that discusses the role of government from a theoretical perspective*

Philosophically and Ideally, what is the role of Government. What parts of society should be regulated? What liberties should citizens retain? What responsibility does the government have for the good/ill of the nation at large? And which style of government do you prefer: Confederacy, Republic, or Democracy?

thedude

"Where should the line of the government be drawn" is a big quesion. I don't know where that line is but I do know that it's been crossed.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Radio Frequency X said:
*This is intended to be a thread that discusses the role of government from a theoretical perspective*

Philosophically and Ideally, what is the role of Government. What parts of society should be regulated? What liberties should citizens retain? What responsibility does the government have for the good/ill of the nation at large? And which style of government do you prefer: Confederacy, Republic, or Democracy?

Philosophically and Ideally, the purpose of the government is to deal with bureaucracy
; the government are the servants of the public. They are there to ensure that the public is as safe as can be from wrongdoers, and to ensure that every citizen has an equal right; where there are citizens who seem to have fallen by the wayside, it is the public's servants duty to pick him up, dust him down, and help him on his way.

As to which type of Government do I like, I would have to opt for my age old "A dictatorship run by someone who has the qualities of either Jesus Christ, or Buddha." - in other words, all political systems are fine in theory.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
thedude said:
"Where should the line of the government be drawn" is a big quesion. I don't know where that line is but I do know that it's been crossed.

I feel the same way. As limited as possible is my standard for drawing the line; but in a democracy, government will be as big as the majority can make it - and with so much money in the system, it will continue to grow.

thedude

Radio Frequency X said:
I feel the same way. As limited as possible is my standard for drawing the line; but in a democracy, government will be as big as the majority can make it - and with so much money in the system, it will continue to grow.

True that.

Types of government are not like checkers on a checkerboard to choose as we see fit. All systems of government have evolved as the need evolves. back in the 8th century, for example, no one wanted a democracy! People were living in agricultural communes that were in constant danger of being hit by gangs of thugs who came to steal their women and tools. So, in a single century, most of those communes encourage one or the other of the gangs to stay and protect them. In exchange, the people would support them. So, this system spread all over Europe and was successful in bringing stability to people.

Every system arose in some similar way to satisfy some need. It is the same with the constitutional system.

Now, as instability grows in the world and old religion is making a comeback at the expense of our whole secular belief system, some nations are already disintegrating back into feudal consitions---as is the Sudan, Afghanistan, Palestine and Yugoslavia.
There is a historical cycle to governmental systems. They come and go---and then come back later on . . .

ch'ang

artist in training
The role of government is to shut up and sit timidly in a corner, while I go about my bussiness.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
ch'ang said:
The role of government is to shut up and sit timidly in a corner, while I go about my bussiness.

That comment, when I saw it, made me laugh. But , on further thought, is it really "funny" , or is there some truth ? - I think there is, the government is that tool of society that is there to allow us all to go about our individual business, knowing that we are walking on a solid foundation.

Arabis

see me run
ch'ang said:

lol, um, they are the government. If they did that then they would cease to have any power and I think that we all agree here that is what the politians as a whole want in today's government.

Maybe if they actually cared about the society that they are governing over, we might have a much different scenario than we do today. Wars and taxes would be to benefit the country not just the politicians and whomever they are answering to.

PureX

Veteran Member
The role of government is to protect us from each other, from outside threats, and then to carry out our will regarding collective functioning. The problem is that we, or someone, must decide how much protection we want, and at what cost, and we, or someone, must see to it that government doesn't take the decision-making power away from us as it will ALWAYS want to do. And then most of all we, or someone, must be reasonable and responsible in making the decisions regarding collective functioning that we charge our government with carrying out.

If we insist on having the power, ourselves, and then we use that power ignorantly and selfishly, we will create the conditions of our own destruction. If we give that power over to a set of "rulers", and they use it ignorantly and selfishly (as they almost always will), we will have asked for the conditions of our own destruction. The only way to avoid our own destruction is to keep the power in our own hands, and then use it for the good of the whole society, and not just to further our own personal desires. OR, find a really good leader, and give all the power to him. (This will only last for as long as he does, however.)

The fact is that it's very difficult to create and sustain a good government. Power corrupts everyone it touches with the temptation to ignorance and selfishness, and it always has. The only way to establish good government and sustain it is to find some way of overcoming this internal drive toward ignorance and selfishness. (In a word: greed.)

Yerda

Veteran Member
I'm not certain I have fully formed ideas on what government should be. Opposed is is word that springs to mind, however.

Fluffy

A fool
The purpose of government should be to maximise liberty. Sometimes, some personal freedoms must be sacrificed in order to produce a greater amount of liberty for all.

The following things should be regulated:
Taxes
Transport
Foreign Policy
Education
Law Enforcement
Healthcare
Business

People are free to do what they want with their lives. They can work where they want, live where they want, eat what they want. The extent of freedom is too great to go into detail in a system where the goal is the maximisation of liberty.

Ideally, I prefer a direct democracy.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Radio Frequency X said:
This is a sentiment I would willing give my life to fight against.

And I would do the same defending it. :D It is already recognized by most that governments are established to provide security for its people against the nasties of total, unrestricted freedom; I go further by stating the role of government is to provide for its people what it can.