• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rise of AI Generated Art

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Two new AI meant for generation of art have been getting the spotlight lately. One is called MidJourney and the other called Dall-E. Both are ultra-refined photo-bashing software which algorithmically take keywords (prompts) and merge photos, textures and 3d models from all over the internet into something unique, using various different styles both traditional and digital.

AI generated art has been a thing for a while now. We even have another thread over here by @pearl AI art generated Catholicism WomboAI was one of the first more refined art AI and I've used it too. Even made a i-ching Tarot deck with it (sample below.)
ichingtarot.jpg

But these two new softwares have become robust enough to make high quality illustrations with very little human work. Raising concerns about the future of illustration and whether technology will become sophisticated enough to displace artist jobs. There's also concern about copyright and how images generated by AI can or will be used in the commercial art world.

Both are in Beta mode and subscription or invite model services. I haven't gotten into Dall-E yet but I have played around with MidJourney. To give you an idea of where we're at in the technology, see some of the works I was able to create just this week:
Keliren_glass_jars_with_magical_liquid_metal_8k_raytracing._625ad323-5569-4ade-99d8-be77c3cc75f7.png Illustration17.jpg ghostwoman.png Keliren_female_warrior_monk_in_final_fantasy_style_8d8c6dbc-973b-470f-b556-b609066bdad7.png
For more, you can see one of the many MidJourney art galleries over here on Instagram.

To give you an idea of how easy this is to make, here is a screen shot of the discord prompt, where you put in your keywords and then it gives you four possible results, which you can then refine through variation (v) or upsize for finished product (u).
Screenshot_20220804-091732_Discord.jpg

My personal opinion is that, rather than looking at this as competition for the art field, it should be used more as a tool for inspiration and references by artists to make more refined works. Here is a (very simple) example where I created a prompt and then redrew the output (with more simple lines because it's going to be a ceramic mug transfer).
catwitch.png catwitch2.jpg

What do you guys think about this technology? Are you excited? Nervous?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I suppose it is another tool. It may raise perennial questions such as :
what is art?
what is its purpose?
what is the difference between art and illustration?
why does anyone like Dali?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you guys think about this technology? Are you excited? Nervous?
I am not an artist, however I remember what happens when all of the expensive fonts are imitated. Its near impossible to protect a font design. All it takes is a slight change, and its no longer your font design. Why? Because fonts are letters, and you can't patent the English language.

Similarly you can't patent cat pictures, skies, suns or generally anything found in nature.

You can try to do something like what Aardman does with his Wallace and Grommet claymation figures. He patents his method for producing human expression...the way they smile and so forth. So suppose you can describe your method for your style in a way that can be patented? Then you might be able to defend your design style. Other performance arts win patents, too. Maybe look there for inspiration for how to defend designs.

You might have a lot more success trying to defend fantasy designs of things never before known. For example if you design a space alien that is not similar to a tree, dragon, hat, witch, goblin, house or anything else previously known then you can probably point to copycats and say "They copied my stuff." But if its simply style that has been imitated then you have a hard time making the argument, unless you can patent your method of design.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Just for funsies I compiled a bunch of images into a fake movie poster for a book series I like. Can definitely see where it might be useful for the design world.
Illustration19.png