• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rewards of Goverment

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What are "the rewards of government" that Trump referred to in his inaugural speech?

"For too long, a small group in our nation’s Capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have borne the cost."

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I suspect he was referring to the fact that governments -- their policies, taxes, payments, and so forth -- are one of the main mechanisms whereby the wealth of a society is distributed.

For instance, the US Federal and state governments have been increasingly redistributing wealth up the economic ladder from the poor and middle class to the very wealthy over the past forty years or so. This is somewhat countered by a simultaneous downward distribution, but only to a diminishing extent.

I doubt he means to do anything about it, except to accelerate the transfer of wealth from the poor and middle class to himself and folks like him.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
What are "the rewards of government" that Trump referred to in his inaugural speech?

"For too long, a small group in our nation’s Capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have borne the cost."

I believe he was speaking in general, but I did notice he seemed to point at the housing crisis, when the government foreclosed on the average American and bailed out the banks. Or 16 years of war at the taxpayers expense and American blood, while people in government played a lot of golf instead of figuring out how to win the wars.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

Remember, this is a lie.

He's got a group of billionaire cronies about to dismantle regulations so they can personally benefit. He will also benefit from the businesses he retains control over.

One of his rhetorical strategies is to condemn the very thing he does, or is he planning to do, himself. Later, when he is accused of this formally. . . He's already laid the groundwork for a counter attack. Fingers are pointed in both directions, and any legit criticism is drowned out by claims of "biased media."

It's also was way to deligitimize institutions of government as a way to make it an "other," seperate from the people. This strategy is designed to make people forget that THEY control the government for their own benefit. Instead, he wants his supporters to trust only him by saying any government outside himself is corrupt or worthless.

This also feeds into Trump's "cult of personality" strategy to consoidate power. . . A common tactic among many tin pot dictators.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If an intelligent and informed man had said it, I would suspect he was referring to the fact that governments -- their policies and so forth -- are one of the main mechanisms whereby the wealth of a society is distributed.

For instance, the US Federal and state governments have been increasingly redistributing wealth up the economic ladder from the poor and middle class to the very wealthy over the past forty years or so. This is somewhat countered by a simultaneous downward distribution, but only to a diminishing extent.
So this is likely to change with the CEO of Exxon as Secretary of State?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I believe he was speaking in general, but I did notice he seemed to point at the housing crisis, when the government foreclosed on the average American and bailed out the banks. Or 16 years of war at the taxpayers expense and American blood, while people in government played a lot of golf instead of figuring out how to win the wars.
How did the government benefit from bailing out the banks?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Remember, this is a lie.

He's got a group of billionaire cronies about to dismantle regulations so they can personally benefit. He will also benefit from the businesses he retains control over.

One of his rhetorical strategies is to condemn the very thing he does, or is he planning to do, himself. Later, when he is accused of this formally. . . He's already laid the groundwork for a counter attack. Fingers are pointed in both directions, and any legit criticism is drowned out by claims of "biased media."

It's also was way to deligitimize institutions of government as a way to make it an "other," seperate from the people. This strategy is designed to make people forget that THEY control the government for their own benefit. Instead, he wants his supporters to trust only him by saying any government outside himself is corrupt or worthless.

This also feeds into Trump's "cult of personality" strategy to consoidate power. . . A common tactic among many tin pot dictators.
Do you really think that the propaganda slogan "biased media" is legitimate enough to drown out other legitimate claims? Does anyone take that seriously?

What does it mean for THEM to control the government?

Kemosloby

Premium Member

Insider trading for one. But also it crushed smaller businesses, only the "too big to fail" got bailed out. Smaller banks went out of business after being forced by the Clinton administration to make loans that were junk. So all the banks were making these bad loans and selling the mortgages as AAA mortgages which they could do because they were backed by insurance. Then like a house of cards the whole thing collapsed, the insurance companies collapsed, anyone holding the mortgages lost all their money, except for those who the government bailed out with taxpayer money. The insiders bought up all the bad mortgages for next to nothing, the government bailed out the too big to fails, and they counted their money. Something like that...it was the worst scene of corruption ever.

idav

Being
Premium Member

It makes me think he is talking about the elite, which in the same speech Trump lied about giving back to the people.

“We are transferring power from Washington, D.C. and giving it back to you, the people,”

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Insider trading for one. But also it crushed smaller businesses, only the "too big to fail" got bailed out. Smaller banks went out of business after being forced by the Clinton administration to make loans that were junk. So all the banks were making these bad loans and selling the mortgages as AAA mortgages which they could do because they were backed by insurance. Then like a house of cards the whole thing collapsed, the insurance companies collapsed, anyone holding the mortgages lost all their money, except for those who the government bailed out with taxpayer money. The insiders bought up all the bad mortgages for next to nothing, the government bailed out the too big to fails, and they counted their money. Something like that...it was the worst scene of corruption ever.
But how did the government benefit from this?

A lucrative post-political career in the lobbying and peddling of political influence game. As long as you play ball when you are in office, you will reap the rewards when you retire. Republican or Democrat alike, few jobs in the world are as lucrative for such little work as being a retired senior politician.

Look at how many politicians get rich after retiring, and look at the source of that wealth. They certainly aren't 'self-made' men and women.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Patty's one line platonic dialogues pack more value than most people's 2000 word responses. I suspect most people will never extract the full value of them, but efficient elegance is often lost on most people, myself included.

Look at this as a full course in multiple disciplines, and identify the focused value of the lessons.

Or not.

I'm just glad that we still have some input from such quality people.

allfoak

Alchemist

Government is about information.
The more information the government has the more control they have over those on whom they have the information.
Government has the ability to release information or withhold it.
Since knowledge is power and the government is hoarding all of the information that could set humanity free, those in government alone reap the benefits.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Do you really think that the propaganda slogan "biased media" is legitimate enough to drown out other legitimate claims? Does anyone take that seriously?

What does it mean for THEM to control the government?
Yes they are

Yerda

Veteran Member
How is a post-political career a benefit of government?
One route: When part of an administration you take the laws the lobbyists write for you, you have them enacted as legislation and then you leave government and take a highly paid position as an executive of one of the companies that make up the lobbying body.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
They are reaping the rewards of government action. For instance:
The banks benefited from the government. The elite CEO's were able to give themselves bonuses and the systems of wealth and power kept turning as they had.

Well, considering the biases of the media were proven during the course of the election, yes the "slogan" is legitimate. As for whether "anyone" takes it seriously, media trust is at possibly an all time low. Less than a 6th of Republicans, less than a 3rd of independents and about half of democrats trust the media to be honest.