• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The resurrection of Jesus.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
yes fallingblood, i read your post. those scriptures each "by themselves" say that it was 3 days, but each of the ENTIRE gospels elaborates and precisely explains the timeline of the crucifixion and resurection and it does not add up to the 3 days AND 3 nights that jesus prophesiied

one must read th e "entire" text to fully understand it. your comparing apples to oranges
The Gospels were not written to go together. They were not written to match up. They are four separate accounts.

Now, only Matthew states anything about being in "heart of the earth" for 3 days and 3 nights. You still have yet to explain why we should take that one to be accurate when every other one says simply 3 days.

More so, we see Jesus being in the tomb for three days. This has been explained already.

sniper762

i cant explain any clearer than i have. the phrophesy in mathew is supposed to be the words of christ, not mathew. if they arn't considered to be so, the neither is any of his words.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
i cant explain any clearer than i have. the phrophesy in mathew is supposed to be the words of christ, not mathew. if they arn't considered to be so, the neither is any of his words.

That isn't really how it works. We can know, for fairly certain, what does and does not date back to Jesus and what is more likely for him to have stated.

Also, we do see Jesus being in the tomb for 3 days, which was my answer in the first place. You have even shown this to be true. We are talking about Jews here though, so we have to take their customs into consideration, which I have already explained.

As for Jesus spending three days and nights in the heart of the Earth, I doubt an above ground tomb actually cuts it.

javajo

12 I told them, "If you think it best, give me my pay; but if not, keep it." So they paid me thirty pieces of silver. 13 And the LORD said to me, "Throw it to the potter"-the handsome price at which they priced me! So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the house of the LORD to the potter.

Clearly not a prophecy, but a simple statement of what happened. FAIL.

Here's what a prophecy sounds like: "I predict that X will happen in the future."
If it were for 29 pieces of silver I'd accept that. The disciples accepted it as prophecy as well as Christians throughout the centuries, and I do too, but if you don't see it that way, that's fine.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
If it were for 29 pieces of silver I'd accept that. The disciples accepted it as prophecy as well as Christians throughout the centuries, and I do too, but if you don't see it that way, that's fine.

Do you know what the term "magical thinking" means?