• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The resurrection of Jesus.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Out of all of the supernatural claims made about Jesus, this is one that I have the hardest time with. Just to start out, I do not believe in a physical resurrection of Jesus. The reason being that it defies what we knows happen. People simply do not come back from the dead. Since it is a miracle, it is the least likely thing to occur in that situation.

I've heard a couple of theories on explanations of how the resurrection came into the Jesus tradition. The one that I like the most, at this point, is the idea that in a time of grief, a human can have visions of the dead. We have many documented cases of this phenomena, so it is a logical possibility. It still happens to this day, and even looking at various third world countries (parts of Asia, especially underdeveloped parts of India), there have been cases in which people are believed to have come back from the dead.

The problem with this theory that I see is that multiple people having a vision of Jesus, at the same time, would be unlikely. It is somewhat of a stretch to assume that all of the visions can be explained from this phenomena, especially considering the accounts of him appearing before large groups. My only explanation for this would be something I've seen happen frequently when performing magic. That is the fact that people have a tendency to create a miracle in their minds, and honestly believe it. But I don't think that perfectly fits either.

Another interesting idea that I've considered is the possibility that Jesus did survive the crucifixion. However, just knowing what the crucifixion entailed, I am more apt to believe that he was left on the cross, and later picked apart by scavenging animals.

So what is the most likely explanation for the resurrection of Jesus?

Misty

Out of all of the supernatural claims made about Jesus, this is one that I have the hardest time with. Just to start out, I do not believe in a physical resurrection of Jesus. The reason being that it defies what we knows happen. People simply do not come back from the dead. Since it is a miracle, it is the least likely thing to occur in that situation.

I've heard a couple of theories on explanations of how the resurrection came into the Jesus tradition. The one that I like the most, at this point, is the idea that in a time of grief, a human can have visions of the dead. We have many documented cases of this phenomena, so it is a logical possibility. It still happens to this day, and even looking at various third world countries (parts of Asia, especially underdeveloped parts of India), there have been cases in which people are believed to have come back from the dead.

The problem with this theory that I see is that multiple people having a vision of Jesus, at the same time, would be unlikely. It is somewhat of a stretch to assume that all of the visions can be explained from this phenomena, especially considering the accounts of him appearing before large groups. My only explanation for this would be something I've seen happen frequently when performing magic. That is the fact that people have a tendency to create a miracle in their minds, and honestly believe it. But I don't think that perfectly fits either.

Another interesting idea that I've considered is the possibility that Jesus did survive the crucifixion. However, just knowing what the crucifixion entailed, I am more apt to believe that he was left on the cross, and later picked apart by scavenging animals.

I don't believe Jesus was physically resurrected. I think the story was a lie put around by his followers.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
Jesus was resurrected to show that we can be too. He showed that death is not an eternal thing, that once we die we too can be resurrected in Heaven.

Misty

Why lie about it? And how did they get so many to lie about it in a relatively short time?

The story was written up a long time after he died and therefore the tales were likely to be apocryphal. People see what they want to see, that is as true today as it was then. Think how many claim to have seen visions of Mary, that includes myself, but I know what I saw was from within my mind, not external to it!

logician

It is just a part of the general mythology. Many preceeding mythos had ressurected gods, this story certainly is no surprise.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Why lie about it? And how did they get so many to lie about it in a relatively short time?
Not say whether it's a lie or not (I don't know) or even if it was originally intended to be taken as a literal account rather than a metaphorical one, but there are lots of reasons why such an embellishment might have been worked into or added on to the story over the first decades. First, it would deal with the rather obvious theological problem that without it, the messiah and/or God itself are now dead. Second, it has a metaphorical meaning about the death of the self/body giving way to immortality through a return to God, much like we see in any other early mythology that involves resurrections or redemption from the various lands of the dead. Third, if offers a hopeful end to the story for those who need that sort of thing. Fourth, it's magic, and people love stories with magic and conspiracies.

How long did it take for there to be stories about Elvis still being alive? Or Bruce Lee? Within a couple of years this stuff can really get rolling.

BruceDLimber

The key thing to bear in mind is that Resurrection is a spiritual event, not a physical one!

(With this understanding, things make a lot more sense.)

Bruce

The key thing to bear in mind is that Resurrection is a spiritual event, not a physical one!

(With this understanding, things make a lot more sense.)

Bruce

That would make great sense if MILLIONS didn't buy into the whole physical bodily resurection, at least once a year, and if you don't believe me go into any Southern Baptist Church in rural South Carolina and claim you doubt it.

I think anyone who buys into ANY of the supposed miracles of Jesus needs to rethink their knowledge base on physics, biology, and literature.

Oberon

The story was written up a long time after he died and therefore the tales were likely to be apocryphal.

It is possible (if unlikely) that a full-fledged resurrection myth could have sprung out of the early Jesus tradition by the time of mark, were it not for the fact that this part of the tradition was at the earliest layer (Paul spoke of it, a contemporary of Jesus, who converted shortly after Jesus died). We need a different explanation.

jtartar

fallingblood,
In order to reason with a person, it is imperative that they believe God's inspired word, The Holy Bible. If you do not it is impossible to prove anything, because every person can come up with some explanation of anything, no matter how unreasonable it may seem to us. No person's word has any weight, except when reading and explaining God's word, Ps 146:3,4, Jere 17:5. We are to put all our trust in God's word, Prov 3:5,6, Jere 17:9. God even promised to protect His word from all generations, Ps 12:6,7, 1Pet 1:25.
The Bible was inspired by God and therefore true, 2Pet 1:20,21, 2Tim 3:16,17. When Jesus was on earth he said that God's word is true, John 17:17. At that time all the Hebrew Scriptures were written.
I find it hard to believe that any person thinks it impossible for Jesus to have risen from death. Jesus was God's Only Begotten Son!!! God created the heavens and the earth and all the things it them, Acts 17:24, Ps 33:6-9.
The Bible tells us that God is the source of LIFE, Ps 36:9. The Bible tells us that God created Jesus as the First of His creations, Col 1:15, Prov 8:22-31, Rev 3:14.
The very foundation of Christianity is the belief that Jesus gave his life to RANSOM mankind from sin and death, 1Cor 15:12-23, Matt 20:28, Acts 17:31, Eph 1:7, John 1:29, Gal 3:10-14.
When Jesus was on earth he told about the time when he would call people dead back to life in a resurrection, John 5:28,29.
Why is it a hard thing to believe that God is going to bring people back to life, when He created people in the first place and is Omniscient,and Omnipotent. In fact there is nothing that God cannot do, Matt 19:26, Job 42:2, Gen 18:14.
Remember, God not only created Jesus, but He also put within Mary his essence so that Jesus could be born a man, and give his PERFECT life for us, so that we could gain back the PERFECT life that Adam lost for all his descendents.

Misty

fallingblood,
In order to reason with a person, it is imperative that they believe God's inspired word, The Holy Bible. If you do not it is impossible to prove anything, because every person can come up with some explanation of anything, no matter how unreasonable it may seem to us. No person's word has any weight, except when reading and explaining God's word, Ps 146:3,4, Jere 17:5. We are to put all our trust in God's word, Prov 3:5,6, Jere 17:9. God even promised to protect His word from all generations, Ps 12:6,7, 1Pet 1:25.
The Bible was inspired by God and therefore true, 2Pet 1:20,21, 2Tim 3:16,17. When Jesus was on earth he said that God's word is true, John 17:17. At that time all the Hebrew Scriptures were written.
I find it hard to believe that any person thinks it impossible for Jesus to have risen from death. Jesus was God's Only Begotten Son!!! God created the heavens and the earth and all the things it them, Acts 17:24, Ps 33:6-9.
The Bible tells us that God is the source of LIFE, Ps 36:9. The Bible tells us that God created Jesus as the First of His creations, Col 1:15, Prov 8:22-31, Rev 3:14.
The very foundation of Christianity is the belief that Jesus gave his life to RANSOM mankind from sin and death, 1Cor 15:12-23, Matt 20:28, Acts 17:31, Eph 1:7, John 1:29, Gal 3:10-14.
When Jesus was on earth he told about the time when he would call people dead back to life in a resurrection, John 5:28,29.
Why is it a hard thing to believe that God is going to bring people back to life, when He created people in the first place and is Omniscient,and Omnipotent. In fact there is nothing that God cannot do, Matt 19:26, Job 42:2, Gen 18:14.
Remember, God not only created Jesus, but He also put within Mary his essence so that Jesus could be born a man, and give his PERFECT life for us, so that we could gain back the PERFECT life that Adam lost for all his descendents.

Well I don't for one second believe the Bible had anything to do with a supposed deity, it is an all too human production.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The miraculous events in the New Testament may offer interesting symbolism, but the real worth is not the the cosmetic mythological layers, but with the parables and wisdom.
The New Testament talks about turning water into wine and creating fish out of thin air, the Qur'an talks about a prophet crossing over 750 miles of desert on a flying steed, the Mahabharata tells us that Arjuna fired an unending stream of arrows from his bow.
All these descriptions may add a certain flavor to the narratives, or may have a symbolic significance, but I don't see any reason to give them a realistic dimension.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
fallingblood,
In order to reason with a person, it is imperative that they believe God's inspired word, The Holy Bible. If you do not it is impossible to prove anything, because every person can come up with some explanation of anything, no matter how unreasonable it may seem to us.
The problem I see right away that God's inspired word contradicts itself, and contains historical inaccuracies. If I were to believe that the Bible truly was God's inspired word, the conclusion that I would come to is that God is incompetent.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

OK, I'll expose my utter bizarrity here. I'm not a Christian, but I do believe in the Resurrection.

My grounds for belief are admittedly rather shaky: I believe because the idea pleases me, and there's no evidence against it. Which is not to imply cognitive dissonance. The Passion makes perfect sense in the context of my theology.

Anyway, to answer your question, if it didn't happen, the likeliest explanation is the simple fact that in ancient times, great men were heavily mythologized.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
P.S. fallingblood,
I do find it rather ironic that your given reason for not believing in a miracle is that it defies the everyday. Isn't that kinda the definition of a miracle? :)

dogsgod

Paul believed in a resurrected God, a redeemer of mankind, hidden from the beginning of time, who will be revealed when the end of the ages is near, and a few years later an unknown author of Mark wrote an elaborate story about a Son of God living on earth in Paul's recent past. Of course, Paul knows nothing of this story, it was written after he was dead.

Last edited: