• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The real problem facing the world, is the acceptance of violence.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It desensitizes people to violence.
I enjoy violence. As long as its fake. Because that is pretty important. A dummy or cartoon or CGI animation being subject to violence doesn't bother me. I may even find it enjoyable, gratifying, maybe even funny.
But a holocaust movie featuring Jews being butchered and their suffering, because that was real and it did happen it deeply upsets me to watch them, and they've left me sobbing and werping.
A real fight or violence is something I'd rather just avoid a together, because I tend to be hyper sensitive to it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No one so much as bats an eyelid at violence anymore and aggression and barely-constrained violence are commonplace.
Ive sat in court while some people appearing were being charged with things like aggravate assauly and battery. That means violence wasn't tolerated.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm glad you've presumably never encountered one.

Assumptions are the roots of all evils. It's a stereotype-not all thugs are violent. In other words, thug in many context refers to black people who live in the getto, commit crimes (based on color of skin), and things of that nature. It's a racial connotation. Not sure about other places and their relationship to the word. 'Thugs’ is a race-code word that fuels anti-Black racism

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Wait, what? Do we live on the same planet? Sorry, that was uncouth - do you live in an active warzone? A place with routine gang violence or something? Legitimately asking, because human-human violence is such a rarity, I'm not sure how on earth you came up with such a perception of the world. I don't know of anywhere that violence is "accepted and normalized," much less where murder a form of "self-expression." I know of nowhere that you wouldn't land in jail for such nonsense.

Human-to-human violence is a rarity???

Depends on where you're from.

paramecium

Assumptions are the roots of all evils. It's a stereotype-not all thugs are violent. In other words, thug in many context refers to black people who live in the getto, commit crimes (based on color of skin), and things of that nature. It's a racial connotation. Not sure about other places and their relationship to the word. 'Thugs’ is a race-code word that fuels anti-Black racism

The defintion of a thug is a violent person, especially a criminal so a thug who isn't violent would surely be an oxymoron.

I intend to keep directing the word against anyone who I construe as being even slightly aggressive and I couldn't care less if its become a racially charged word. I use it indiscriminately.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The defintion of a thug is a violent person, especially a criminal so a thug who isn't violent would surely be an oxymoron.

I intend to keep directing the word against anyone who I construe as being even slightly aggressive and I couldn't care less if its become a racially charged word. I use it indiscriminately.

In some parts of the area and cultures over here in the states its perceived as a racially associated word. That's why it popped out at me. Some curse words when used in context and by strict definition aren't "bad" words. It depends on the culture in which these words are used (and history etc) that would make it appropriate in one context, slang, or inappropriate.

Of course I didn't know the context/intent of your OP so you can see how that popped out at me?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I use it indiscriminately.
No you don't.
You ignore definitions of the word that do not suit your agenda.
That is blatant discrimination against the word.
And you do so rather aggressively.
Making you the thug (by your own presented usage of the word) in the here and now.

paramecium

No you don't.
You ignore definitions of the word that do not suit your agenda.
That is blatant discrimination against the word.
And you do so rather aggressively.
Making you the thug (by your own presented usage of the word) in the here and now.

What I meant was I refer to anyone who is aggressive and violent as a thug, the race of the person is irrelevant.

paramecium

Would you include mental injury as violence? For example, if I said something to hurt your feelings, would you consider that violence?

It depends if it was true or not.

False allegations and defamation are injurious. For example, the defamation of Germany during WWII.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know why you're making wild assumptions.

I didn't say fruiting bodies of plants can't be eaten, all I said is plants can feel pain.
Evidence, please -- and define pain.
Imputing animal qualia to a class of creatures so different from us strikes me as wild guesswork.

Plants don't have the nociceptors or the neurological wiring of animals, nor do they have a brain to experience pain.
They don't have a need to perceive pain, since they can do little to counter it. How would such a useless feature have evolved?
The anatomic structures and physiology necessary to perceive pain is metabolically expensive. A useless but expensive feature is counter-selective.

What Is It Like to Be a Bat?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It depends if it was true or not.

False allegations and defamation (for example the defamation of Germany during WWII) are injurious.

That's is kind of what I am wondering, there tends to be a gray area. I suppose this is not useful to your discussion though.

So your point being that we've come to accept violence as the norm?

Violence begets violence. It only takes a few dickheads cops to screw up everything.

I think I'm agreeing that there is no justification for violence. Unfortunately, that's not the way people work.

Those who wouldn't agree require enforcement in which the enforce itself can quickly escalate violence. Is violence in the name of enforcement justified?

Right now, the police seem to have the right to escalate to whatever levels they feel necessary with little accountability if they use excessive force.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What I meant was I refer to anyone who is aggressive and violent as a thug, the race of the person is irrelevant.

Criminal, offender, or like word would be better for future reference. Thug, gangster, those type words are slang and some people would misinterpret it in regards to race, lifestyle, sub-culture, and rich/poverty stereotypes and discrimination words rather than political correct definitions that don't take into context the connotations behind it.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Humans may always have been violent to a degree but now we live in a society saturated with violent imagery both real and simulated. Violence is expected and its absence is considered a deprivation for most.

All
I can do is repeatedly cite extreme violence in history, and demonstrate that your generalization concerning todays violance.

It's possible there have been nonviolent societies in the distant past, for example the Harapa civilisation which flourished in the Indus valley some two thousand years ago. This culture may have bequeathed proto Jain and Vedic philosophy to recorded history.

This is indeed naive about ancient cultures selectively. The archaeology of ancient cultures confirms this that there were violent wars and conflicts in Vedic history, There are some exceptions as in the Buddhist lingdoms, but in general the history of humanity has been a violent one. Actually in much of our history more violent than today.

It is not a good idea to describe human history interms of exceptions, because humans have always been fallibly humans since humans have been human hundreds of thousands if not more than a million years.

As far as real problems in the world lets begin with over population.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Violent behaviour has become accepted and normalized and thugs are venerated. Murder has become a form of self-expression. All forms of violence should be verboten, including simulated violence which precipitates actual violence. Humanity cannot progress as a species until violence is completely abandoned.
To me the ^ above ^ is a reason why we are in these last days of badness on Earth as described in the verses found at 2 Timothy 3:1-5,13.
Violent behavior was the norm (so-called norm) at the time of Genesis 6:11.
In Scripture Jesus said when conditions would be as in Noah's day then we know that divine involvement into humanity's affairs is near - Matthew 24:37
Violence will Not be abandoned, but the executional words from Jesus' mouth will rid the Earth of the violent ones - Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-16.
Then, Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will be the one who will usher in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Thugs are criminals. Its not racist in origins, it comes from India to describe criminals and their behaviors.
Thuggee - Wikipedia

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV