• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Those estimates show more Americans are moving from Rust Belt and Northeastern cities, including some of the largest metropolitan areas in the country, in favor of booming cities and suburbs across the Sun Belt and the West Coast.

A very political: HMMM
Whatever a "HMMM" is, it doesn't seem political to me.
Just people moving around.
But then, canines are known for seeing everything thru a political lens.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The hard drive was put into production in 1956. It was a tiny thing with a lot of memory, a whopping 5 MILLION characters (5 megabytes). Why would anyone ever need more?

5335_6616758da438b02b8d360ad83a5b3d77.jpg

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
In the late 1980's I helped to disassemble some old Wang computers and remove them from an office. They had GIANT 12" floppy drives and also tape drives -- tons of tape drives. These days nobody under 30 has heard of a Wang computer. The 12" floppy drives were obviously high tech in their day. Soon after there were 6" floppies followed by the 3.5" floppies in hard cases. Then there were ZIP drives, but ZIP drives didn't last long, because somebody figured out how to make CD's rewritable. I lived during a time when game graphics went through many stages. 3 color graphics. 16 color graphics. 256 color graphics. 16 million color graphics. 32 million color graphics. These technologies became available to the middle class over a period of only 10 years, and for the last 30 years there have been new video cards and new technologies available not just yearly but multiple times per year. I remember the first Voodoo video card, designed to work in tandom with an optional extra Voodoo. I had a friend who bought 2 of them and was able to run Quake at high speed. It was an amazing video game, a seriously awesome upgrade from games such as DOOM. I experienced Netscape in a community college library and didn't know what do to with it. It was before Google, and it was before Yahoo. I was there, but it was meaningless.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the late 1980's I helped to disassemble some old Wang computers and remove them from an office. They had GIANT 12" floppy drives and also tape drives -- tons of tape drives. These days nobody under 30 has heard of a Wang computer. The 12" floppy drives were obviously high tech in their day. Soon after there were 6" floppies followed by the 3.5" floppies in hard cases. Then there were ZIP drives, but ZIP drives didn't last long, because somebody figured out how to make CD's rewritable. I lived during a time when game graphics went through many stages. 3 color graphics. 16 color graphics. 256 color graphics. 16 million color graphics. 32 million color graphics. These technologies became available to the middle class over a period of only 10 years, and for the last 30 years there have been new video cards and new technologies available not just yearly but multiple times per year. I remember the first Voodoo video card, designed to work in tandom with an optional extra Voodoo. I had a friend who bought 2 of them and was able to run Quake at high speed. It was an amazing video game, a seriously awesome upgrade from games such as DOOM. I experienced Netscape in a community college library and didn't know what do to with it. It was before Google, and it was before Yahoo. I was there, but it was meaningless.
I used the 5" (5 1/4"?) floppies, first in 306K, & then in 1.2M.
They weren't very reliable for back up...lots'o read/write errors.
Zip drives were an improvement, but USB drives are the ultimate.
I can put all my records, op sys, op sys installation files, programs,
program installation files, & back-ups of all those going back to 1986
on one USB drive with room to spare.
And the USB drive is bootable on a computer running Win 98.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I used the 5" (5 1/4"?) floppies, first in 306K, & then in 1.2M.
They weren't very reliable for back up...lots'o read/write errors.
Zip drives were an improvement, but USB drives are the ultimate.
I can put all my records, op sys, op sys installation files, programs,
program installation files, & back-ups of all those going back to 1986
on one USB drive with room to spare.
And the USB drive is bootable on a computer running Win 98.
360K. Zip drives were not around for very long. USB drives are pretty good, but you should still keep backups.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
360K. Zip drives were not around for very long. USB drives are pretty good, but you should still keep backups.
Multiple USB drives, 2 hard disks on my main computer,
& 2 spare computers are my backup.
And each of those has everything in 2 locations.
I also do regular testing of backup & restore functions.
That's more important than most people think.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Making a bbq sauce, tomatoes, tomato puree, lots of worcestershire sauce, white wine vinegar, brown sugar and halved shallots.

Left it on the stove simmering and pop outside to see how our resident professional bbq driver is making out.

Return. One of our cats is standing apparently with front paws in the boiling liquid, head down lapping it up.

Mad panic, but getting closer i see she is standing on 2 shallot islands while really enjoying the hot spicy sauce.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Making a bbq sauce, tomatoes, tomato puree, lots of worcestershire sauce, white wine vinegar, brown sugar and halved shallots.

Left it on the stove simmering and pop outside to see how our resident professional bbq driver is making out.

Return. One of our cats is standing apparently with front paws in the boiling liquid, head down lapping it up.

Mad panic, but getting closer i see she is standing on 2 shallot islands while really enjoying the hot spicy sauce.
That's funny! Heads up the sauce is probably safe, but the shallots are dangerous for cats if they eat them.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That's funny! Heads up the sauce is probably safe, but the shallots are dangerous for cats if they eat them.

I have seen it happen before, my grans cat loved curry, many years ago he did the same thing with paws on 2 chunks of lamb.

My sauce hadnt been cooking long enough for the shallots to cook down but if she has any ill effects the vet has a 24/7 emergency number.

I dug the shallots out and did some more, i know where those front paws have been scratching in her litter tray. I told everyone what had happened, the sauce was still eaten,no qualms.

I once saw a meme of a cat kissing a young girl. The caption was "all those germs". And my immediate though was, yes, poor cat... ;-)