• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Qur'an Teaches Jesus Died (possibly on the Cross)

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
** Mod Post **

This thread has been moved to Religious Debates

Muffled

Jesus in me
Jalal basically says that the words Jesus speaks to allah in 5:117 refer to Judgment Day/the afterlife. This is correct according to the context of the qur’an. However, it does not state exactly WHEN Jesus died, so presumably he could come back to earth (as muslim speculation states he will do, to battle the Dajjal), and die after that — and not at the time of the crucifixion.

i do not see this in the context and the trnslation (Ali v 120) presents it as past tense.

This appears to be the operative word for such conjectures.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I am playing Devil's Advocate here, but what do you--and others (both Muslims and Christians)--think of "the swoon hypothesis" (aka swoon theory)?

The swoon theory would work if there was no evidence of a mortal wound, however the soldier's sword through the heart after He was declared dead makes the theory extremely doubtful. For the body to be raised, the heart would have to be repaired which is another miracle of the resurrection.

Kodanshi

StygnosticA
Can someone post verses from the Koran which demonstrate why Christianity is incompatible with Islam?

It would depend on your definition of Christianity. Do you, for example, view it as concordant with the divinity of Jesus, his oneness with god, that he was the actual physical son of god, etc? If yes, then the qur’an contains plenty of verses contrary to these and the doctrine of the trinity.

Mark2020

I have shown you links to the same occurrence of the same word by the same translators that show it to mean ‘caused to die’. Only in the case of Jesus do they ever translate it into something different.

You have a very good point
I'll also add some words from the same root و ف ي w f y
وفاة =death (infinitive)
Google Translate

توفي = died
Google Translate

توفاه الله = Passed away
Google Translate
Which is similar to the original word توفيتني but replacing the second person pronoun (ت( with the original subject (الله) , and putting the verb in third person.

From Arabic dictionaries:
الباحث العربي: قاموس عربي عربي
والوَفاةُ: المَنِيَّةُ.
والوفاةُ: الموت.
وتُوُفِّيَ فلان وتَوَفَّاه الله إذا قَبَضَ نَفْسَه،
All refering to death