• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Q thread

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Hi guys.
This thread is about discussing what Q in the LGBTQ+ acronym really means.
I know it means queer,
But...what does queer really mean?
I mean...I have never understood what kind of sexual orientation it is.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Hi guys.
This thread is about discussing what Q in the LGBTQ+ acronym really means.
I know it means queer,
But...what does queer really mean?
I mean...I have never understood what kind of sexual orientation it is.
I've always taken it to mean all orientations that aren't LGBT but also don't belong to the vanilla faction, like fetishists, the BDSM crowd, furries, etc.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Its meant to be vague. It just means not straight in most cases. That's the only thing you can be sure of if someone identifies as queer in terms of sexuality. There's many definitions but like i said it's meant to be vague.

VoidCat

With genderqueer same thing appiles. Meant to be vague in definition. Not conforming to a typical male or female gender identity might even be neither. That's all you know about it. There's many definations and reasons that the person may call themselves genderqueer but the term is purposely vague.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Its meant to be vague. It just means not straight in most cases. That's the only thing you can be sure of if someone identifies as queer in terms of sexuality. There's many definitions but like i said it's meant to be vague.
But non-straight means that you are either gay or bisexual.
There is no third option.

VoidCat

There's multiple options. You got asexuals, you got abrosexuals, diamorics, demisexuals, etc...theres thousands of different sexualities out there.

VoidCat

@Estro Felino
Here's an example of a third option: me

Im nonbinary. That automatically makes any relationship I am in not straight by default.

Im also asexual and aromantic so im sure as hell aint straight.

Queer is a good term to describe any relationship I've been in. So is diamoric.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
There's multiple options. You got asexuals, you got abrosexuals, diamorics, demisexuals, etc...theres thousands of different sexualities out there.
I understand. But the LGBT acronym is a juridically relevant notion that is used even in laws to determine something very specific, that involves social life and the psychological welfare of a society.

"Asexual" is not a sexual orientation because it is a condition that doesn't affect society.
That is, social interaction among people.
Otherwise we can add anything to LGBT acronym...for example...those who are into chocolate and those who are into pizza.

VoidCat

I understand. But the LGBT acronym is a juridically relevant notion that is used even in laws to determine something very specific, that involves social life and the psychological welfare of a society.

"Asexual" is not a sexual orientation because it is a condition that doesn't affect society.
That is, social interaction among people.
Otherwise we can add anything to LGBT acronym...for example...those who are into chocolate and those who are into pizza.
Asexuality is an orientation. It just means im not attracted to anyone. Orientation just describes what that person is attracted to. Many asexual do have sex just they dont experience sexual attraction. It's not a condition either why would you think it's a condotion?

VoidCat

Personally i dont like the LGBT acronym. I like the GSRM acrynom. Gender,sexual, and romantic minorites

VoidCat

Also asexuality should be considered LGBT. We've faced the same problems that y'all guys have. Corrective rape, conversion therapy, refusal to be allowed to marry same sex partners( some asexuals are homoromantic), hell we still are considered mentally ill by mental health professionals.

VoidCat

hell we still are considered mentally ill by mental health professionals
Let me clarify this point.
Im talking of hypoactive sexual desire disorder

Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder (HSDD).

And sexual aversion disorder
Sexual Aversion Disorder: Signs, Causes, and Treatment

Both in the dsm-5 have an execption for asexuality. What the dsm-5 doesn't tell you is most people who are asexual dont know they are asexual and most sex therapists dont know of asexuality. You have no clue how many asexuals I've met online who've been diagnosed with one of these and for years thought something was wrong with them that they were mentally ill until they found out about asexuality

We got homosexuality to stop be considered a disorder. Asexuality still is by many folk considered one

Edit: im not saying we get rid of those disorders. Rather we raise more awareness of asexuality among therapists and require therapists for their clients to explore asexuality as a possiblity before being considered to have either disorder

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
But this isn't about society, anymore. It's all about the individual. The individual is now SO important that every nuance of one's sexuality and/or confusion must have big important sounding labels and titles attached, that everyone else must know and use, so we can all recognize and acknowledge the humongous importance of our individual sexual proclivities. God forbid the world NOT KNOW how we feel about our genitals, or about each other's genitals, or what we'd like to do or not do with them.

Right? :)

Goldemar

A queer sort

You seem to be assuming that there are just two genders - female and male. But if there are more than two, e.g. those who identify as third gender, there can be those who are attracted to not only those who identify as women and men but also those who identify as third gender. Bisexual wouldn't work here but a term like polysexual or pansexual might. Queer is a useful term to capture these and other sexualities.

VoidCat

You seem to be assuming that there are just two genders - female and male. But if there are more than two, e.g. those who identify as third gender, there can be those who are attracted to not only those who identify as women and men but also those who identify as third gender. Bisexual wouldn't work here but a term like polysexual or pansexual might. Queer is a useful term to capture these and other sexualities.
You posted this twice by accident

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I thought this was going to be about another use of the letter "Q" :)

This article says:

The Q can stand for “questioning” -- as in still exploring one’s sexuality -- or “queer,” or sometimes both.

Queer: Once considered a demeaning slur for being gay, “queer” is being reclaimed by some as a self-affirming umbrella term, especially among those who consider other labels restrictive. Some still believe it’s a homophobic slur, so it’s always best to ask or wait for the person whom you’re speaking with to use it.