• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The promise of technology and the psychology of people in power

dfnj

I read a great psychology book on people who have power over others. Essentially, having power over people corrupts your mind so eventually you see the people you have power over as ants that can be stepped on and killed without any moral consequence.

The people with all the money and power are 100% ruthless and evil. And here is why: The "metamorphic effect of power" is an idea coined by David Kipnis in his behavior psychology book, "Power Holders" and his book, "Power and Technology." You've heard the expression from Lord Acton, "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Well, it's even worse than that! It turns out there is a fatal flaw in human psyche when it comes to people in positions of power. In Kipnis's book he focuses not on the worker, consumer, or citizen. But instead he focuses on the CEO, corporation, and government official. He focuses on the power holder and not the masses under control. And his results are astounding! It turns out when people assume positions of power it changes the way they think.

The people in positions of power eventually experience a growing sense of contempt and hatred for the people they have power or influence over. This is why the leader of communism or any form of governments will eventually turn on their people. Kipnis coins this effect the "metamorphic effect of power". When your psyche changes there becomes a point where you don't see the people you have power over as human beings. But you see them as insects or automaton machines not worthy of any shred of respect with having no moral consequences if you squash them like ants under your foot. The only way not to be changed by metamorphic effect is to be aware of it's existence.

https://www.amazon.com/Technology-Power-David-Kipnis-ebook/dp/B00FB4UXZ2

As a technologist, I thought my whole life has been about creating technology so people have more power in their lives. Instead, the technology I've been creating causes the opposite to occur according to Kipnis. This quote has haunted me my whole life:

"In the words of Jose Ortega y Gasset: "Technology provides men the leisure to realize their true potential" This, then, is the promise of technology: a material world of plenty and a spiritual world in which we have the leisure to realize our highest potentials and the freedom to contemplate God.

Yet in nagging counterpoint to this optimism about the beneficent world of plenty provided by unlimited power is the suspicion that technology has another face. There is a world in which the freedom to choose and to control evens has been subtly altered so that there is less choice and less control. This is the world of "megatechnics," to use Lewis Mumford's apt phrasing, in which technology concentrates power and reduces individual choice."

joe1776

I read a great psychology book on people who have power over others. Essentially, having power over people corrupts your mind so eventually you see the people you have power over as ants that can be stepped on and killed without any moral consequence.

The people with all the money and power are 100% ruthless and evil. And here is why: The "metamorphic effect of power" is an idea coined by David Kipnis in his behavior psychology book, "Power Holders" and his book, "Power and Technology." You've heard the expression from Lord Acton, "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Well, it's even worse than that! It turns out there is a fatal flaw in human psyche when it comes to people in positions of power. In Kipnis's book he focuses not on the worker, consumer, or citizen. But instead he focuses on the CEO, corporation, and government official. He focuses on the power holder and not the masses under control. And his results are astounding! It turns out when people assume positions of power it changes the way they think.

The people in positions of power eventually experience a growing sense of contempt and hatred for the people they have power or influence over. This is why the leader of communism or any form of governments will eventually turn on their people. Kipnis coins this effect the "metamorphic effect of power". When your psyche changes there becomes a point where you don't see the people you have power over as human beings. But you see them as insects or automaton machines not worthy of any shred of respect with having no moral consequences if you squash them like ants under your foot. The only way not to be changed by metamorphic effect is to be aware of it's existence.

As a technologist, I thought my whole life has been about creating technology so people have more power in their lives. Instead, the technology I've been creating causes the opposite to occur according to Kipnis. This quote has haunted me my whole life:

"In the words of Jose Ortega y Gasset: "Technology provides men the leisure to realize their true potential" This, then, is the promise of technology: a material world of plenty and a spiritual world in which we have the leisure to realize our highest potentials and the freedom to contemplate God.

Yet in nagging counterpoint to this optimism about the beneficent world of plenty provided by unlimited power is the suspicion that technology has another face. There is a world in which the freedom to choose and to control evens has been subtly altered so that there is less choice and less control. This is the world of "megatechnics," to use Lewis Mumford's apt phrasing, in which technology concentrates power and reduces individual choice."
I think Lord Acton and Kipnis are both wrong. I think people who are ambitious for power over others were corrupted when conceived in their mother's womb. They genetically inherited a strong need to feel superior to others. Even when they mean well, the person ambitious for leadership is an arrogant human being.

I see the kind of power Lord Action referred to as a tool, like a hammer. It can be used to construct or destroy but it doesn't determine the intent of its user.

As for the power of technology, I think that's an entirely different kind of power than the power of leadership.

Last edited:

whirlingmerc

The way I look at it is that we are all fallen and have problems but usually have restrains and checks that help us. The less restraints the more the fallen nature kicks in and we sink. So I do not believe power corrupts I think power lessens checks and balances sometimes and brings out what's already there
The only power that is pure is from God

Additionally power and technology can be a blessing... but it can also be an idol and a God substitute... can be good ... can be bad

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure it's so straightforward.

Consider the relationship that humans have to non-human persons. As the story often goes in my culture, humans are viewed as the most powerful persons on the planet. From there, one could say that human abuse of non-human persons is a product of the same psychological narratives about power that are presented in the opening post. That is, because humans are believed to be more powerful than all other people, they abuse other animals, plants, and environments as they see fit. So much so that the people in my culture do not recognize non-humans as people at all. Non-human persons are not granted ethical consideration in most laws my people make.

There are two flipsides to this, however.

In spite of the mythology that speaks of humans being the most powerful and thus the only persons worthy of ethical consideration, there are abundant examples of humans treating non-human persons with respect and dignity. Having greater power than something else does not, in of itself, lead to abusive behavior of those you consider less powerful. There's more to the relationship than that. Those who love non-human persons - whether it's a cherished pet or an ancient tree in the backyard - would not consider abusing them regardless of the power differential. The nature of the relationships - their immediacy - is key. It's not so much power in of itself that is the problem, but being distanced from one's relationship with those who may have less of it. Being isolated, insular, cut off.

That brings me to the other flip side. Even if one fails to have a meaningful relationship with those who are less powerful than oneself, it is shooting oneself in the foot to disregard the foundation one stands upon. Humans have no power without the myriad of non-human persons supporting them. Without the air, the land, the water, and all of the creatures dwelling within? We are nothing. Similarly, the CEO is nothing without his employees and his capital. The mayor is nothing without citizens to govern. All power depends upon a foundation, and only fools disregard the importance of that foundation. The foundation is the true power, because without it, the ones who think they have power all come tumbling down on their rear ends. Those who recognize this is the case are less prone to abusing their power. They know they depend on the foundation and are not stupid enough to shoot themselves in the foot.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I think some people in power might take on some sort of "paternal" role where they think they know what is best for the people and justify themselves on that basis.

I don't really agree with your ant analogy, since humans tend to see ants as unwanted pests and will likely want to kill off an entire colony without remorse or consequence. In the case of the upper classes in any society, they still need most of their peasants to survive to do all the work and keep them making money.

Of course, technology may change this, as more and more machines can be utilized to do most or all of the work in society. The working class would become totally superfluous.

dfnj

I think some people in power might take on some sort of "paternal" role where they think they know what is best for the people and justify themselves on that basis.

I don't really agree with your ant analogy, since humans tend to see ants as unwanted pests and will likely want to kill off an entire colony without remorse or consequence. In the case of the upper classes in any society, they still need most of their peasants to survive to do all the work and keep them making money.

Of course, technology may change this, as more and more machines can be utilized to do most or all of the work in society. The working class would become totally superfluous.

In the book Kipnis uses the works of Shakespeare to demonstrate his point on how people change the way the treat other people based on their position of power. It's really neat how he compares Macbeth to King Lear.

dfnj

The way I look at it is that we are all fallen and have problems but usually have restrains and checks that help us. The less restraints the more the fallen nature kicks in and we sink. So I do not believe power corrupts I think power lessens checks and balances sometimes and brings out what's already there
The only power that is pure is from God

Additionally power and technology can be a blessing... but it can also be an idol and a God substitute... can be good ... can be bad

This quote still really bothers me:

Are all my works in technology being used to concentrate power and reduce people's choices. I would say yes as demonstrated by this curve:

Quandl

There's nothing wrong with a fork as a piece technology. But you can use a fork to kill someone. But using a machine gun as a fork is not the same thing.